Options with Crossfiring, Upgrading, or other...

tnick771

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
Hey guys, I am in a good situation - I have some money to spend and I want to do it right.

This is my current C/GPU setup:

i5 3450
Sapphire Radeon 7850

I play:
FPS (rarely)
Civ (Often)
Total War (Occasionally)

Given the options what would help me most in terms of noticeable change:

1. Crossfiring with another 7850

2. Water Cooling System

3. Upgrading to a 7950

Or any other ideas?

Thanks!!!

Chinmoy Debnath

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Crossfiring with another 7850 THAT CAN EASILY PROVIDE PERFORMANCE UPTO 7970 AND WILL BE A noticeable change IN FPS YOU CAN PLAY IN ULTRA SETTINGS.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Xfire is probably the greatest increase that you can have in boosting graphics performance, however, there are issues that you will have with dropped frames and stuttering with an Xfire that you do will not see with a single GPU.

Water cooling will not improve performance, and because of the clock limitations of the processor would be a waste (unless you upgrade to an over-clock-able chip).

From your post it looks like you will have up to $350 to spend. I'd buy a second 7850 to Xfire and consider a different component (SSD, gaming mouse/keyboard, headset, etc.) fpor an upgrade.

tnick771

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013

How much different would a 7950 be than a 7850?

The HD7950 is a good deal faster:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_7850_PCS_Plus/16.html

Its biggest advantage is the 3Gb framebuffer which means it suffers less performance loss at high resolutions with AA enabled.
Please provide complete details of the current system, including monitor resolution and power supply.
If memory serves correctly Nvidia are releasing their revised GTX760 cards next week (or week after) , if you do decide to upgrade I suggest you hold off and see what this refresh brings to the table before making a final decision.

tnick771

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013

Oh oops! I didn't mean to include you in that reply -- I guess I got lucky!

Thanks for taking the time to do this, here are my specs:

Processor: Intel i5 - 3470
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7870 2GB (I was mistaken by which level I had)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3
MoBo: Biostar TZ77B
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120 GB
HDD: Hitachi 1 TB
PSU: Corsair CX 500W

Monitor: LG LED IPS 27EA63 (27")

Mr Harry says: "Guess you were feeling lucky were n't you."
Having now seen the full specs I'm convinced my first reply was correct: Put the money in a bank.
Or use it elsewhere, because you have a excellent system, perfectly balanced for your needs.
Enjoy your gaming and relax knowing that you have a little money in the kitty in case something goes wrong.

tnick771

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013

Yeah I'm a little OCD. I'm in Marketing so I'm always looking for ways to improve but I never know how to stop while I'm ahead -- it leaks over into my real life far too much.

Thanks again for your time! I really appreciate it!