Sign in with
Your question

I'm super conflicted. Intel i5 3570k Vs 4670 Vs Amd FX8350

Last response: in CPUs
June 17, 2013 3:29:58 PM

So guys I'm hella confused right now. I'm building a medium gaming rig. The games I'm going to be playing are bf3, bf4, GTA V , basically all the new games that were at E3.
Now my question is which PC will give me more performance in gaming? I originally was going to get the AMD but my firend told me he get's cpu lag wen he plays on high in bf3.
FOr gaming which CPU will perform better ? The 3570k or 4670 or the fx?
For now I hear that most games don't need all the cores in fx but for future gaming will the intel still outperform the amd or not? PLease give me your thoughts and suggestions on which cpu to get.
The graphics card for this build will be a GTX 660 Ti .
June 17, 2013 3:42:40 PM

Yes generally speaking Intel procs do indeed outperform AMD CPUs. But gaming today is way more graphics card dependent than it is CPU dependent. So it kind of depends on what graphics card your friend has, because if he had a Radeon HD 7970 paired up with his AMD proc, I doubt he would be experiencing any lag (unless his internet connection sucks).

Pretty much the best pound for pound gaming CPU is the i5 3570k (the jury is still out on the i5 4570k). That is as long as you get a good card to match with it. If you get a GTX 660 Ti like you mentioned then you won't have any issues with the games you like.

MSI makes a great "Power edition" GTX 660 Ti which is a great gaming card and comes with a free copy of the new Metro game, Last Light, and copy of 3DMark benchmarking utility.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 17, 2013 8:08:01 PM

An Intel CPU would be better for gaming purposes. According to the following benchmark, the difference in BF3 multiplayer is pretty noticeable. The same may hold true for BF4 if the FrostBite engine is not tweaked for better performance on AMD CPUs.

Source: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Battlefield-3-PC-221396/S...

GTA V? That's anyone's guess. Who knows, maybe VIA's QuadCore CPUs with the Isaiah cores will completely dominate AMD and Intel CPUs....
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 17, 2013 8:13:08 PM

Unless all you do is video rendering, the 3570K is the way to go, OCs better, handles more and higher freq DRAM....and in particular for you is a better gamer CPU
June 17, 2013 8:14:07 PM

For gaming definitely a 4670k or 3570k which ever one you can find cheapest of the two. The 4670k isn't much faster than the 3570k.
June 17, 2013 11:39:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. I feel much more educated on this topic.
June 18, 2013 8:38:46 AM

Just to give you another contrasting opinion, the amd side of things will be cheaper to upgrade in the future as you won't have to change mobo if what said about steamroller is true. To me the 100 pounds saved from not having to change mobo is worth getting the 8350 over any intel cpu
June 18, 2013 8:48:19 AM

And on the flip side, with every new line of chipset/mobos that come out new features do also....additionally as far as a mobo goes, with DDR4 around the corner, and even higher freqs and low voltage, todays mobos will all be obsolete. An on an aside, the not changing socket types can also be a negative, alot of people have upgrades to the 8350 and are stuck with PCI-E2, few if any USB3 ports, fewer SATA III ports etc
June 18, 2013 9:19:54 AM

But none of those new features except pci 3 are on the current intel mobo's so I don't see how that fits
June 18, 2013 11:57:02 AM

Well, I for one enjoy the additional ports, since I use them :) 
June 18, 2013 1:39:46 PM

NappySlapper said:
But none of those new features except pci 3 are on the current intel mobo's so I don't see how that fits

Not to be antagonizing or anything but my current mobo has all the features mentioned above. PCI-e3, USB 3.0, and sata 3. I dont know what boards you have been looking at but pretty much every mid-grade board and above has at least 2/3 of these.
June 18, 2013 2:19:00 PM

Mid -level, OK, P67/Z87 - in the P67 many had support up to 2133 DRAM, Z87 3000 is common, P67, about 4 SATA III ports today up around 10, RAID is more common on Midlevel, P67 1 USB 3 header, Z87 often 2 or more, additional CPU fan header to accommodate newer heatsinks, improved audio, on a like model an extra PCI-E slot, HDNI output far more common for built in, rear panels HDMI in, Display port, eSATA, etc,,newer UEFI BIOS easier for many (others prefer the older), many Z87 have built in Wifi on mobo, newer mobos are more energy efficient...and actually prob more, just sitting looking at my P67 and a Z87
June 18, 2013 3:26:34 PM

Sorry for confusion, I was referring to support for ddr4 ram that no mobos have.
I have a sabertooth 990fx r2 so its not like I have not seen a proper mobo haha
June 18, 2013 3:32:52 PM

Oh, I was saying with DDR4 around the corner, should be out next year, and we may see things like the 1150 do as they did with the last 775 socket mobos, have it set where you can use DDR3 or DDR4
July 4, 2013 11:43:07 AM

8 core 8350. where the i5 at the moment is slightly faster for games today....bf4 will use 8 cores and the future is going that way so you will see more and more games going 8 core useage. the i5 is also on a dead socket, so future upgrades will require a new mb while amd will be using am3+ mobos for most likely the next few gens. just my 2 cents. the fps difference in games is neglegible. as others have said its more about gpu nowadays anyway.

just dont let any intel trolls tell you amd is garbage, they are absolutely not. have never seen an 8350 bottleneck any current day card all the way up to a titan
!