Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

i need help with deciding if this is good for low to medium gaming

Last response: in Systems
Share
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2013 6:00:01 PM

I think for low settings it should be fine. You might want to get a cooler or a laptop stand to keep it cool, if you are really on a budget then just use 4 plastic bottle caps on each corner to keep it elevated for better airflow. You should also let us know the games you plan to be running, Crysis 3 has different minimum as compared to Skyrim.
Related resources
June 17, 2013 6:22:19 PM

rishiswaz said:
I think for low settings it should be fine. You might want to get a cooler or a laptop stand to keep it cool, if you are really on a budget then just use 4 plastic bottle caps on each corner to keep it elevated for better airflow. You should also let us know the games you plan to be running, Crysis 3 has different minimum as compared to Skyrim.


mostly killing floor, maybe payday 2 and dayz
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2013 6:31:38 PM

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/satellite/S850/...
This one is more expensive than the Acer but will run games much better and probably at around medium settings but for just low settings I think you could scrape 30fps on that, as Edward pointed out though memory will be a big bottleneck on that one.
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2013 7:04:23 PM

Yeah I think if you are going with an APU setup and are not going to be playing games on really high settings do not look for anything with 2 GPUs, the integrated GPU will be fine
June 17, 2013 7:19:40 PM

so the thing is i really dont know what any of this means
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2013 7:24:01 PM

chuckgreene21 said:
so the thing is i really dont know what any of this means


Sorry if I got too technical. When you are going for an AMD based laptop (A4 A6 A8 A10 processor) do not go for any extra graphics, the cpu has graphics on it that are good enough for what you want.
June 18, 2013 8:56:02 AM

rishiswaz said:
chuckgreene21 said:
so the thing is i really dont know what any of this means


Sorry if I got too technical. When you are going for an AMD based laptop (A4 A6 A8 A10 processor) do not go for any extra graphics, the cpu has graphics on it that are good enough for what you want.


NONONONO for a laptop you want an Intel. I know AMDs are comparable for desktops, but when getting a laptop you want one with an Intel processor. AMDs in laptops generate much more heat, are much less powerful, and are known to fail more often. Spend the little extra money to get yourself a better machine.
June 18, 2013 9:52:21 AM

Edward Gelernt said:
rishiswaz said:
chuckgreene21 said:
so the thing is i really dont know what any of this means


Sorry if I got too technical. When you are going for an AMD based laptop (A4 A6 A8 A10 processor) do not go for any extra graphics, the cpu has graphics on it that are good enough for what you want.


NONONONO for a laptop you want an Intel. I know AMDs are comparable for desktops, but when getting a laptop you want one with an Intel processor. AMDs in laptops generate much more heat, are much less powerful, and are known to fail more often. Spend the little extra money to get yourself a better machine.


ok i'll start researching them now
June 18, 2013 10:05:48 AM

Edward Gelernt said:
rishiswaz said:
chuckgreene21 said:
so the thing is i really dont know what any of this means


Sorry if I got too technical. When you are going for an AMD based laptop (A4 A6 A8 A10 processor) do not go for any extra graphics, the cpu has graphics on it that are good enough for what you want.


NONONONO for a laptop you want an Intel. I know AMDs are comparable for desktops, but when getting a laptop you want one with an Intel processor. AMDs in laptops generate much more heat, are much less powerful, and are known to fail more often. Spend the little extra money to get yourself a better machine.


this is an intel
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-V5-571-Notebook-V5-57...
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2013 12:51:45 AM

Edward Gelernt said:


NONONONO for a laptop you want an Intel. I know AMDs are comparable for desktops, but when getting a laptop you want one with an Intel processor. AMDs in laptops generate much more heat, are much less powerful, and are known to fail more often. Spend the little extra money to get yourself a better machine.


Well I have a Lenovo y560p running an Intel Core i7 and some dell that with an AMD E2 APU and in terms of heat and reliability I have not really noticed a difference. I generally use the Intel machine to render in the background for low priority work and have it undervolted and underclocked to save power and heat, I use the AMD system for web browsing, word and powerpoint, and some really light gaming (in browser flash/java games) and neither of them have given me problems. NOW we are bumping up from an E-series machine that cost me 250 dollars to a 500 dollar machine with a quad core A-series APU powering it, from what I have seen and read there seems to be no major difference between different laptop processors heat at the same price range, the cooling solution the company impliments would be the cause of overheating, and I have not heard of significantly higher failure rates on AMD based laptops. Actually for laptops failure rates are lower than desktops, the chance of your laptop CPU failing within the first 30 days for either of them are 1:310, your RAM 1:3700, and your hard drive 1:280 (http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id...). If it does not fail within the first 30 days then the probability of failure later down the line is exponentially lower. AMD integrated graphics on the quad core APUs are pretty good for what he needs so really there is no reason besides an Intel sticker or if there is a cheaper system to pick an Intel system over an AMD system. It would be nice seeing the information for the failure rates though because I did not think that it would be a stark difference between the two cpu manufacturers.
!