I want to upgrade my Graphics card from GeForce 6600 on Pentium 4 3.20GHz.

jonat

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
Hello,

This is my first post.

My PC currently has GeForce 6600 as my graphics card, however I feel it is time to upgrade it so I can play new games etc. I would like the best graphics card (regardless of price) that my PC can allow.

I have Windows XP 32, Intel Pentium 4 540 3.20GHz

2GB RAM with ASUSTeK PCI- Express Computer inc motherboard.

I realize I can't have the ultimate best Graphics card with my current PC set up, but what is the best my PC can allow?

jonat

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
where do I find my psu details?

also how do I find out the watts of my power supply (apart from taking the PC cover off)?

jonat

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
but updating from GEForce 6600, would at least stop some lagging on say (fifa13) and allow me to run some modern games - (obviously not the ultimate top games with the highest settings)

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Perhaps a very small amount? Your CPU is really slow though, and will potentially bottleneck any update you make.

jonat

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013

is there potential for CPU to bottleneck either Geforce 640, or AMD Radeon HD 6670?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yes. Really, your CPU is a long way out of date. Even an old Core 2 Duo would be a huge improvement.

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I have a 3.4 GHz P4, I upgraded from a 6600 geforce to a Radeon HD6670, it went from playing doom 3 at med settings to ultra, it also allowed me to play COD Modern Warfare at about medium settings, it was well worth the $70 bucks I payed, it would be about $60 for that card now, also mine craft plays like a champ on the same rig. You'll be surprised what that rig will play, Wolfenstein 2009, Assassins Creed 2, low to med settings but played them fine.

jonat

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013

thankyou

is that proof to Rob that is is worth me getting a slighlty new Graphics card? ;)

Seems like it's between the Geforce 650 and the radeon hd6670.

I understand my CPU probably does need changing (Jurassic) - whether it's worth updating it, or just buying a whole new PC I don't know; probably new PC is needed in the future

@teeroy was it a straightforward replacement?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

:) Not denying you might see some improvement. I just think the money would be better spent on a newer system.

jonat

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013

I agree with you on that one - would be a much better investment to get new PC - not sure I see that happening at the moment though - i'm going to go for the short term fix ha - just wondered if it's possible and if it is, what would be the best option - Looks like the Geforce 650 or radeon hd6670 as I said before. Would they be relatively straightforward swaps?

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Yeah easiest thing I've ever done, uninstall the geforce drivers, turn computer of, unplug the geforce from the pci express port, (if AGP don't bother cards hard to get and worthless IMHO), plug the HD6670 in, it will come with the cord to adapt 2 of the 4 pin power leads to a six pin plug on the card, plug that in, turn computer on and download and install the latest stable catalyst drivers, its just an .exe file, follow the prompts like any windows app installer, yes yes ok, computer will ask to restart, let it, your good to go. If you go an Nvidia you won't have to uninstall drivers before changing cards, just update drivers and restart computer after the swap.

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
A new rig is better, but if you can't afford a new one the quick fix is worth it, at the time I bought the HD6670 I was broke too, I only got a new rig ( the one in my sig less then a year ago because of a really good tax return) and it kept me satisfied. Don't even think of playing BF3,the P4 just won't cut it, well really slow at low settings, but BF2 will play maxxed out and quite a few people still play it surprisingly

jonat

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
I see myself going for the Nvidia.

so for Nvidia 640 I wouldn't need to uninstall geforce 6600?

would the pin/cords be the same?

also what about static, did you wear a wristband thing or not and did you leave the pC plugged in or all un-plugged?

alsoo how do i find out the watts of my power supply without taking the case off? would GT640 be fine for that?

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

Nvidia is cool, pretty certain it dosn't need extra power from the cord, drivers will work but I suggest updating for the best possible performance and stability. Also if you choose to try out linux, the nvidia will make it easier, they seem to work with less glitches, such an old computer is a prime candidate for linux. My HD6670 is a pig to get working under linux but performs well. If you do try linux try Ubuntu or linux mint, easier then windows and will download and install drivers for you. BUT most games won't work on it with out a lot of configuration with a compatibility preogram called wine. The P4 is what I learn't linux on.

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Power supply info should be on a sticker on the back of the power suppl or you will need to take the side case of and the sticker is on the side of the power supply, you don't need much power to run those cards, I have a 350 watt powering my P4 and HD6670 the GT640 will use less power again

jonat

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013

do you think GT640 is a good option?

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

Very good choice, I wish they where available when I bought the radeon, but the low-mid range 6 series weren't out at the time and a mate owned a computer store and sold me the Radeon really cheap, but I've experienced blue screens of death and an hour long boot up after a driver update on win 7, pus its a right pain to install linux with red jagged lines blurring the screen making it impossible to see the desktop.

jonat

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013

how do you approach grounding yourself? do you touch a metal part of your PC case or by wearing an antistatic wrist strap or touch the power supply?

Do you fully unplug everything or leave it plugged in?

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

Unplug the computer, press your power button a few times to drain all power from the psu and capacitors (not sure if its necessary I just do it with all electrical stuff out of habit), if you have an-anti static strap use it, if not touch the metal part of the case, rest an elbow or something on the case as you do it.