Sign in with
Your question

I want to upgrade my Graphics card from GeForce 6600 on Pentium 4 3.20GHz.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 17, 2013 6:14:17 PM

Hello,

This is my first post.

My PC currently has GeForce 6600 as my graphics card, however I feel it is time to upgrade it so I can play new games etc. I would like the best graphics card (regardless of price) that my PC can allow.

I have Windows XP 32, Intel Pentium 4 540 3.20GHz

2GB RAM with ASUSTeK PCI- Express Computer inc motherboard.

I realize I can't have the ultimate best Graphics card with my current PC set up, but what is the best my PC can allow?

More about : upgrade graphics card geforce 6600 pentium 20ghz

June 17, 2013 8:04:19 PM

Maybe something like GT640
June 18, 2013 2:06:25 AM

hd7750 would be the best bet
Related resources
June 18, 2013 2:40:56 AM

How many watts is your power supply??
June 18, 2013 2:44:07 AM

gu us ur psu details like brand name,model no.
June 18, 2013 3:12:07 AM

where do I find my psu details?
June 18, 2013 3:12:07 AM

where do I find my psu details?

also how do I find out the watts of my power supply (apart from taking the PC cover off)?
June 18, 2013 3:24:08 AM

To be honest, I wouldnt even bother, your CPU is really bad, and whatever you do it will still be slow and not be able to play most modern games.
June 18, 2013 3:38:15 AM

but updating from GEForce 6600, would at least stop some lagging on say (fifa13) and allow me to run some modern games - (obviously not the ultimate top games with the highest settings)
June 18, 2013 3:42:01 AM

jonat said:
but updating from GEForce 6600, would at least stop some lagging on say (fifa13) and allow me to run some modern games - (obviously not the ultimate top games with the highest settings)

Perhaps a very small amount? Your CPU is really slow though, and will potentially bottleneck any update you make.
June 18, 2013 3:51:59 AM

RobCrezz said:
jonat said:

Perhaps a very small amount? Your CPU is really slow though, and will potentially bottleneck any update you make.

is there potential for CPU to bottleneck either Geforce 640, or AMD Radeon HD 6670?
June 18, 2013 3:57:49 AM

jonat said:
RobCrezz said:
jonat said:

is there potential for CPU to bottleneck either Geforce 640, or AMD Radeon HD 6670?

Yes. Really, your CPU is a long way out of date. Even an old Core 2 Duo would be a huge improvement.
June 18, 2013 3:59:33 AM

I have a 3.4 GHz P4, I upgraded from a 6600 geforce to a Radeon HD6670, it went from playing doom 3 at med settings to ultra, it also allowed me to play COD Modern Warfare at about medium settings, it was well worth the $70 bucks I payed, it would be about $60 for that card now, also mine craft plays like a champ on the same rig. You'll be surprised what that rig will play, Wolfenstein 2009, Assassins Creed 2, low to med settings but played them fine.
June 18, 2013 4:08:15 AM

Teeroy32 said:
I have a 3.4 GHz P4, I upgraded from a 6600 geforce to a Radeon HD6670, it went from playing doom 3 at med settings to ultra, it also allowed me to play COD Modern Warfare at about medium settings, it was well worth the $70 bucks I payed, it would be about $60 for that card now, also mine craft plays like a champ on the same rig. You'll be surprised what that rig will play, Wolfenstein 2009, Assassins Creed 2, low to med settings but played them fine.

thankyou

is that proof to Rob that is is worth me getting a slighlty new Graphics card? ;) 

Seems like it's between the Geforce 650 and the radeon hd6670.

I understand my CPU probably does need changing (Jurassic) - whether it's worth updating it, or just buying a whole new PC I don't know; probably new PC is needed in the future

@teeroy was it a straightforward replacement?
June 18, 2013 4:09:42 AM

jonat said:
Teeroy32 said:

thankyou

is that proof to Rob that is is worth me getting a slighlty new Graphics card? ;) 

I understand my CPU probably does need changing (Jurassic) - whether it's worth updating it, or just buying a whole new PC I don't know; probably new PC is needed in the future

:)  Not denying you might see some improvement. I just think the money would be better spent on a newer system.
June 18, 2013 4:15:17 AM

RobCrezz said:
jonat said:
Teeroy32 said:

thankyou

:)  Not denying you might see some improvement. I just think the money would be better spent on a newer system.

I agree with you on that one - would be a much better investment to get new PC - not sure I see that happening at the moment though - i'm going to go for the short term fix ha - just wondered if it's possible and if it is, what would be the best option - Looks like the Geforce 650 or radeon hd6670 as I said before. Would they be relatively straightforward swaps?
June 18, 2013 4:31:42 AM

Yeah easiest thing I've ever done, uninstall the geforce drivers, turn computer of, unplug the geforce from the pci express port, (if AGP don't bother cards hard to get and worthless IMHO), plug the HD6670 in, it will come with the cord to adapt 2 of the 4 pin power leads to a six pin plug on the card, plug that in, turn computer on and download and install the latest stable catalyst drivers, its just an .exe file, follow the prompts like any windows app installer, yes yes ok, computer will ask to restart, let it, your good to go. If you go an Nvidia you won't have to uninstall drivers before changing cards, just update drivers and restart computer after the swap.
June 18, 2013 4:35:32 AM

A new rig is better, but if you can't afford a new one the quick fix is worth it, at the time I bought the HD6670 I was broke too, I only got a new rig ( the one in my sig less then a year ago because of a really good tax return) and it kept me satisfied. Don't even think of playing BF3,the P4 just won't cut it, well really slow at low settings, but BF2 will play maxxed out and quite a few people still play it surprisingly
June 18, 2013 4:46:51 AM

I see myself going for the Nvidia.

so for Nvidia 640 I wouldn't need to uninstall geforce 6600?

would the pin/cords be the same?

also what about static, did you wear a wristband thing or not and did you leave the pC plugged in or all un-plugged?

alsoo how do i find out the watts of my power supply without taking the case off? would GT640 be fine for that?
June 18, 2013 4:57:24 AM

jonat said:
I see myself going for the Nvidia.

so for Nvidia 640 I wouldn't need to uninstall geforce 6600?

would the pin/cords be the same?

also what about static, did you wear a wristband thing or not and did you leave the pC plugged in or all un-plugged?

Nvidia is cool, pretty certain it dosn't need extra power from the cord, drivers will work but I suggest updating for the best possible performance and stability. Also if you choose to try out linux, the nvidia will make it easier, they seem to work with less glitches, such an old computer is a prime candidate for linux. My HD6670 is a pig to get working under linux but performs well. If you do try linux try Ubuntu or linux mint, easier then windows and will download and install drivers for you. BUT most games won't work on it with out a lot of configuration with a compatibility preogram called wine. The P4 is what I learn't linux on.
June 18, 2013 5:00:25 AM

Power supply info should be on a sticker on the back of the power suppl or you will need to take the side case of and the sticker is on the side of the power supply, you don't need much power to run those cards, I have a 350 watt powering my P4 and HD6670 the GT640 will use less power again
June 18, 2013 5:05:09 AM

Teeroy32 said:
Power supply info should be on a sticker on the back of the power suppl or you will need to take the side case of and the sticker is on the side of the power supply, you don't need much power to run those cards, I have a 350 watt powering my P4 and HD6670 the GT640 will use less power again

do you think GT640 is a good option?
June 18, 2013 5:10:32 AM

jonat said:
Teeroy32 said:

Very good choice, I wish they where available when I bought the radeon, but the low-mid range 6 series weren't out at the time and a mate owned a computer store and sold me the Radeon really cheap, but I've experienced blue screens of death and an hour long boot up after a driver update on win 7, pus its a right pain to install linux with red jagged lines blurring the screen making it impossible to see the desktop.
June 18, 2013 5:22:54 AM

Teeroy32 said:
jonat said:
Teeroy32 said:

Very good choice, I wish they where available when I bought the radeon, but the low-mid range 6 series weren't out at the time and a mate owned a computer store and sold me the Radeon really cheap, but I've experienced blue screens of death and an hour long boot up after a driver update on win 7, pus its a right pain to install linux with red jagged lines blurring the screen making it impossible to see the desktop.

how do you approach grounding yourself? do you touch a metal part of your PC case or by wearing an antistatic wrist strap or touch the power supply?

Do you fully unplug everything or leave it plugged in?
June 18, 2013 5:33:53 AM

jonat said:
Teeroy32 said:
jonat said:
Teeroy32 said:

how do you approach grounding yourself? do you touch a metal part of your PC case or by wearing an antistatic wrist strap or touch the power supply?

Unplug the computer, press your power button a few times to drain all power from the psu and capacitors (not sure if its necessary I just do it with all electrical stuff out of habit), if you have an-anti static strap use it, if not touch the metal part of the case, rest an elbow or something on the case as you do it.
June 18, 2013 5:43:02 AM

Teeroy32 said:
jonat said:
Teeroy32 said:
jonat said:
Teeroy32 said:

Unplug the computer, press your power button a few times to drain all power from the psu and capacitors (not sure if its necessary I just do it with all electrical stuff out of habit), if you have an-anti static strap use it, if not touch the metal part of the case, rest an elbow or something on the case as you do it.

if switched off at the plug, does the cable still need to be plugged into the back of the PC or should that be unplugged too?

also this is my PC case:

is the GT640 going to fit in it fine?

June 18, 2013 5:52:23 AM

jonat said:
Teeroy32 said:
jonat said:
Teeroy32 said:
jonat said:
Teeroy32 said:

if switched off at the plug, does the cable still need to be plugged into the back of the PC or should that be unplugged too?

also this is my PC case:

is the GT640 going to fit in it fine?

As long as its unplugged from the wall its good. Google the GT640, its a really short small card, It will fit easily, its actualy shorter then a 6600, which has as big a board as my 560gtx.
June 18, 2013 5:54:45 AM

I don't need to do a BIOS upgrade before I do anything do I?

Not sure where I read it, may not have been anything to do with this, so probably not
June 18, 2013 6:02:41 AM

jonat said:

I don't need to do a BIOS upgrade before I do anything do I?

Not sure where I read it, may not have been anything to do with this, so probably not

No bios update needed, plug and play
June 18, 2013 6:58:55 AM

byogamingpc said:
I agree with the above, grab a GT 640 http://amzn.to/15fWn8B

does it matter whether it is MSI, ASUS, GALAXY, PALIT or EVGA?
June 18, 2013 6:59:27 AM

jonat said:
byogamingpc said:
I agree with the above, grab a GT 640 http://amzn.to/15fWn8B

does it matter whether it is MSI, ASUS, GALAXY, PALIT or EVGA?

Not really, get the cheapest.
June 18, 2013 8:39:23 AM

the gt 640(ddr5 ver.) is faster then the hd6670 and the best u can get is the hd7750 but don;t take that as u would be quite badly bottle-necked by ur cpu,get the gt640(and get the one which is cheap)
June 18, 2013 9:21:33 AM

sourodip said:
the gt 640(ddr6 ver.) is faster then the hd6670 and the best u can get is the hd7750 but don;t take that as u would be quite badly bottle-necked by ur cpu,get the gt640(and get the one which is cheap)

thanks i'll go for the GT640

what is your opinion of this?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/components-upgrades/graph...

also what difference does the 2GB make?
June 18, 2013 9:42:24 AM

sry for my quote "ddr6" i meant 'ddr5'.
by the way that's a 2gb ddr3 version, a 1gb ddr5 is way better than a 2gb or 4gb ddr3.a gddr5 memory is much much faster as compared to a gddr3 memory,get yourself a gt640 1GB DDR5 gpu and u would be much happier
June 18, 2013 10:02:52 AM

sourodip said:
by the way that's a 2gb ddr3 version, a 1gb ddr5 is way better than a 2gb or 4gb ddr3.a gddr5 memory is much much faster as compared to a gddr3 memory,get yourself a gt640 1GB DDR5 gpu and u would be much happier

is it really that much of a difference from DDR5 to DDR3?
June 18, 2013 10:05:30 AM

yeah it's that much diff. mate...
June 18, 2013 10:15:42 AM

BigMack70 said:
Just to confirm what others are saying, your CPU will bottleneck these cards.... I had a p4 560 3.6 GHz paired with an old 8800 GTS 320 a while back and it was terribly bottlenecked in any game newer than about 2006... single core CPUs just don't cut the mustard anymore.

For example, in the original borderlands, my framerate doubled going from a p4 3.6 GHz & 8800 GTS 320 to an Athlon II x3 440 & 8800 GTS 320.

Teeroy32 said his did not bottleneck. I wouldn't be aiming to play the ultimate newest games - maybe fifa13 for example. I just wanted a newer card that would allow me to play games like that

some seem to say gt640 won't work, others say it will? - is gt640 too strong then - is there an alternative?
June 18, 2013 4:33:20 PM

what side effects can I expect from bottlenecking? (with gaming and general PC usage)

If installing the GT640 means errors and malfunctions, then i'd rather keep with my Geforce 6600

Is there an acceptable card that won't bottleneck,, that would be a big step up form my geforce 6600?

I don't see myself changing the CPU as it just isn't worth it probably - might as well buy a whole new PC.

This is a picture I took of the side of what I think is my Power Supply - does it say 300W?

Does that change what Graphics card I can now get?

June 19, 2013 1:37:27 AM

dude it;s true that ur cpu will bottleneck most of the modern gps' but don't get upset at least get a gt630(ddr5) version and you would be fine...u have to get the best out of ur card(gpu) as u ur cpu is pretty old for playing modern games...so get the gt630(ddr5 ver.) or the gt640(ddr3) ver. so the bottleneck would be some lower
June 19, 2013 7:30:55 AM

sourodip said:

sourodip said:
dude it;s true that ur cpu will bottleneck most of the modern gps' but don't get upset at least get a gt630(ddr5) version and you would be fine...u have to get the best out of ur card(gpu) as u ur cpu is pretty old for playing modern games...so get the gt630(ddr5 ver.) or the gt640(ddr3) ver. so the bottleneck would be some lower

i'm not bothered by the gt640, i'd be happy with gt630 or whatever, as long as it's better than my current one and my PC can handle it hah

seems my power supply is 300w - not sure I read it right, but I think it is; does that affect which card I can have?

June 20, 2013 4:38:09 AM

HD 6670 vs GT630 vs HD 7750 seem to be the options.

I'm not sure which to go for.

I guess I would go for DDR5 in all of these cases and 1GB DDR5 in the GT630 case.

Is 1GB or 2GB RADEON better for my PC Specs?

and are the RADEON cards as straight forward to replace as the GeForce
June 20, 2013 5:01:58 AM

go with the gt630 1gb ddr5 as u cpu would bottleneck any modern gpu,but with gt630 the bottleneck would be less...go for it....
June 20, 2013 7:31:13 AM

could you go over the steps of how to replace it, just to double check I do it correctly?

i.e do I need to uninstall 6600 drivers first etc
June 20, 2013 7:38:46 AM

yeah at first uninstall the 6600 drivers and then install the new gpu and the latest from nvidia
June 20, 2013 9:50:22 AM

sourodip said:
yeah at first uninstall the 6600 drivers and then install the new gpu and the latest from nvidia

how do I go about doing that - is it via add/remove in control panel and is it a complete uninstall of Nvidia?

this is the one I am going to go for - is it okay?: http://www.xosa.co.uk/new-asus-geforce-gt-630-1gb-gddr5...
June 20, 2013 10:01:29 AM

yeah via add/remove programs and the card is fine.best of luck bro...:) 
June 20, 2013 10:31:42 PM

yeah it's fine and don't forget to select a best answer bro...and best of luck :) 
June 21, 2013 11:04:00 AM

For anti-static , I have an anti static bracelet with a crocodile clip.

Does this mean I leave all plugs in, but turn switch off on the main socket on the wall and then attach the crocodile clip to the PC case?

also how do I choose best answer?

• 1 / 2
      • Newest
Related resources
!