should i install the cpu fan afterwards?

p_Bassman

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2013
ok so i am building a computer and i was wondering if i should mount the cpu cooler after i mount the mobo, because it is a huge noctua nh-dh14, and will their be less of a chance to break the mobo when i install the cooler? also how do i install thermal paste, they say pea sized, but it never looks like a pea sized amount.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
I basically always do build on a bench then gently install in the case...on the bench can test everything, easy access to all, and if all works, then when you install it should, if it doesn't first thing to look at is the mobo install, did you get all your offsets, screws in all, etc.

p_Bassman

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2013

but i dont want to warp the mobo installing the cpu cooler, because i might snap the mobo, and id be p.o.'d

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
With a big cooler like that...mount all your offsets on the case and lower the mobo straigh down and in - I often do it by holding the CPU cooler, everything sets in nice and level, then put the screws in (alternating front to back on a diagonal

p_Bassman

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2013

you mean a standoff?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
My fault, meant standoff was thinking of putting in the screws in an offset or diagonal patern, like left top then middle/middle/ then bottom right - think my fingers were listening to the brain but not in the order I was headed, sorry bout that....;)