Next gen: FX-8350 vs 4670K

nsaylor95

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I'm building a gaming computer and I plan to order my CPU and motherboard the last week of this month. I'm debating between the 8 core FX-8350 and the 4 core i5 4670K. I've read around a lot and watched several videos on this, one had a good point. Next gen games will use multi threaded processes. The reason Intel is excelling for games right now is because most games are single threaded. Is this true, and will the 8350 be better than the i5 for next gen gaming? Thanks for your help and time.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
By the time games expect a full 8 cores to run, your current hardware will be long outdated anyway. Either of those processors are more than sufficient for gaming at the moment.

And for next gen gaming? The more important thing to look at is the technologies that are being introduced for new game systems such as unified memory access. Something that both of the processors you are looking at do not support.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
It will have a positive effect on AMD as a company as it will position them in the center of the gaming ecosystem. The immediate benefit will be mostly financial. As far as performance of games running on AMD hardware goes, we will have to wait and see.