Sign in with
Your question

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2013 1:36:18 AM

Hi ,
I am having an issue while playing this game called sleeping dogs.
I play it for a good 20 min then the game goes to windowed mode with a black screen. The game seems to be running smoothly with all noises in the background, except with a blank screen.
I do not have any screensaver/sleep mode settings etc...
I noticed that it says display driver is not responding and it has recovered. I have faced the issue with just this game. Ive played other games (Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Call of Juarez , Remember Me,Crysis 3 etc...), basically any game demanding good video memory, and not once have I faced this issue. This happens only while playing sleeping dogs.
I have an Alienware M14x R2 with 3.3Ghz I7 processor, 16GB RAM, 2GB dedicated VRAM (NVidia GT650M GDDR5), 1TB HDD with Win 8.
I have overclocked the GPU to 969Mhz core and 3000Mhz MEM; Ive been playing with high clocks right from day one and somehow this problem happens only with sleeping dogs.Even with high clocks i hit a max of 62 degrees and this is only on sleeping dogs ... the rest of the games hit 60 ... these machines can handle upto 75
I would be extremely grateful if anyone can help me out.
Thanks in advance!!
June 18, 2013 4:42:54 AM

With all that you said, it might still be your overclock.

but first, do you have the latest drivers?
June 18, 2013 4:48:30 AM

I have version 306.97 ... cannot install the latest as there is an issue with driver update on Win 8 .. when i install the latest drivers , the screen just flickers and the system reboots .... i guess this is the issue with Win 8 .. because of this im not able to install any updates for the GPU ... should i try a clean un-install of the existing drivers and go ahead with the new ones ? Im not sure if this will work as well .... have u heard of this screen flickering in Win 8 after GPU driver update ?
Related resources
June 18, 2013 5:01:42 AM

DilipRamesh said:
I have version 306.97 ... cannot install the latest as there is an issue with driver update on Win 8 .. when i install the latest drivers , the screen just flickers and the system reboots .... i guess this is the issue with Win 8 .. because of this im not able to install any updates for the GPU ... should i try a clean un-install of the existing drivers and go ahead with the new ones ? Im not sure if this will work as well .... have u heard of this screen flickering in Win 8 after GPU driver update ?

cancel your OC, play sleeping dogs and see if ur driver crashes, if it still does, its probably sleeping dogs not working good with windows 8, like a million other games.
June 18, 2013 5:18:23 AM

ok ... will try that and let u know ... thanks for ur replies
June 21, 2013 11:51:13 PM

DjDafiDak said:
DilipRamesh said:

cancel your OC, play sleeping dogs and see if ur driver crashes, if it still does, its probably sleeping dogs not working good with windows 8, like a million other games.

DilipRamesh said:
ok ... will try that and let u know ... thanks for ur replies

Hi there ... yup u were right .. it was the overclocking... i was surprised to find that the game performs the same even with stock clocks ... dont know how this is possible
!