Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Hi ,
I am having an issue while playing this game called sleeping dogs.
I play it for a good 20 min then the game goes to windowed mode with a black screen. The game seems to be running smoothly with all noises in the background, except with a blank screen.
I do not have any screensaver/sleep mode settings etc...
I noticed that it says display driver is not responding and it has recovered. I have faced the issue with just this game. Ive played other games (Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Call of Juarez , Remember Me,Crysis 3 etc...), basically any game demanding good video memory, and not once have I faced this issue. This happens only while playing sleeping dogs.
I have an Alienware M14x R2 with 3.3Ghz I7 processor, 16GB RAM, 2GB dedicated VRAM (NVidia GT650M GDDR5), 1TB HDD with Win 8.
I have overclocked the GPU to 969Mhz core and 3000Mhz MEM; Ive been playing with high clocks right from day one and somehow this problem happens only with sleeping dogs.Even with high clocks i hit a max of 62 degrees and this is only on sleeping dogs ... the rest of the games hit 60 ... these machines can handle upto 75
I would be extremely grateful if anyone can help me out.
Thanks in advance!!
5 answers Last reply
More about display driver stopped responding recovered
  1. With all that you said, it might still be your overclock.

but first, do you have the latest drivers?
  2. I have version 306.97 ... cannot install the latest as there is an issue with driver update on Win 8 .. when i install the latest drivers , the screen just flickers and the system reboots .... i guess this is the issue with Win 8 .. because of this im not able to install any updates for the GPU ... should i try a clean un-install of the existing drivers and go ahead with the new ones ? Im not sure if this will work as well .... have u heard of this screen flickering in Win 8 after GPU driver update ?
  3. DilipRamesh said:
    I have version 306.97 ... cannot install the latest as there is an issue with driver update on Win 8 .. when i install the latest drivers , the screen just flickers and the system reboots .... i guess this is the issue with Win 8 .. because of this im not able to install any updates for the GPU ... should i try a clean un-install of the existing drivers and go ahead with the new ones ? Im not sure if this will work as well .... have u heard of this screen flickering in Win 8 after GPU driver update ?

cancel your OC, play sleeping dogs and see if ur driver crashes, if it still does, its probably sleeping dogs not working good with windows 8, like a million other games.
  4. ok ... will try that and let u know ... thanks for ur replies
  5. DjDafiDak said:
    DilipRamesh said:
    I have version 306.97 ... cannot install the latest as there is an issue with driver update on Win 8 .. when i install the latest drivers , the screen just flickers and the system reboots .... i guess this is the issue with Win 8 .. because of this im not able to install any updates for the GPU ... should i try a clean un-install of the existing drivers and go ahead with the new ones ? Im not sure if this will work as well .... have u heard of this screen flickering in Win 8 after GPU driver update ?

cancel your OC, play sleeping dogs and see if ur driver crashes, if it still does, its probably sleeping dogs not working good with windows 8, like a million other games.

DilipRamesh said:
    ok ... will try that and let u know ... thanks for ur replies

Hi there ... yup u were right .. it was the overclocking... i was surprised to find that the game performs the same even with stock clocks ... dont know how this is possible
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Graphics Displays