Geforce 770 2GB/4GB - are there any cards that match it's performance and beat it's value?

What should I do?

• Get the Asus DirectCU II model on that budget.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get the Geforce 4GB version, it's worth it.

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Don't buy the 770, there are better deals out there.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Reece Cooper

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Would the Gigabyte 4GB model be worth it as it's 256-bit?
The Asus DirectCU II model looks like the best deal at the moment, but are there other cards on the market that could beat this?

DjDafiDak

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
what resolution are you playing on? unless its more then 2500x1600, buy 2GB 770, on 1920x1080 you didnt need more then 2gb vram.

and 770 is probably the best deal out there, obviously there are stronger cards, like the 780, or titan, but they are much more expensive.

also, buying a radeon 8000 series might be a better deal, but i dont know anything about the 8000 series yet.

Reece Cooper

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

1920x1080 my friend, though the 4GB isn't really much more in cost, surely i'd get a 5% increase in terms of performance at this resolution?

X79

Honorable
I don't think you'll see a marked performance increase simply due to more RAM, if that's what you're saying.

As the guy before me said, the added VRAM is only really useful for rendering large amounts of textures; such

as with high-resolution or with a multi-monitor setup. 2GB is the bare minimum GPUs ought to have in my view;

as more will become increasingly necessary most likely.

Reece Cooper

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

Wow, thank you! That is significantly cheaper than other models on the market, how do the performance and noise levels compare to the Asus card?

That's not really how it works. Video RAM makes a huge difference, but only when it's needed. Currently, over 2GB isn't necessary. For this year's cutting edge games like Crysis 3, you'd see 0% improvement. Next year's cutting edge games - 0% improvement. The year after's games - 57% improvement.

Obviously I don't know when exactly games will want over 2GB at 1080p (maybe it is next year, maybe not for another three years) but just to illustrate the point. When the time comes that you need more, performance will drop like a stone unless you drop down your graphics settings.

I chose a 2GB card despite that because the price jump to 4GB where I am is pretty big. But if the two options are comparably-priced where you are, 4GB will be a good investment in the long run.

Reece Cooper

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Thanks sam_p_lay, good point about the GPU not being up to scratch by the time engines start utilising that,

At the moment i'm stuck between the EVGA GTX 770 w/ ACX cooler or the superclocked version, are there any benefits to the super clocked version other than it being pre-overclocked?
Appreciate the feedback, you've all been very helpful!

No worries :) It is just the factory overclock, which of course is valuable only if you don't overclock. And even if you don't overclock, it may not be worth the price difference. Only you can decide that though!

+1 ^ This.

The EVGA ACX cooler is superb. I agree with the others that "best bang for your buck" on the higher end right now is certainly the GTX 770. The 2GB is sufficient for 1080p (1920x1080).

I've got the EVGA Superclocked GTX 770 with ACX cooler. It was only $20 more. Factory overclock that is covered under warranty. Small boost in performance. Historically I really don't mess with OC'ing GPUs so that was the way I went.

Reece Cooper

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

Just ordered it, Thank you all for saving me some dough and therapy :)

Awesome. Happy gaming! :)