Xfx7870 Too Hot?

Cholkavich

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Hello
first off I must say that Im really new to PC gaming (this is my first built PC). I picked up a xfx7870 DD card and while running Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon on Ultra setting it gets pretty hot. At first it would get around 80-86 Degrees but I altered the fan setting with Afterburner to run at 100% at 80 degrees and now it hovers around 80. The card idles around 35-40 degrees. Im wondering if its normal for this card to be running so hot or am I pushing it a little much? I dont want to damage anything and me being new to this I may just be a worry wort. Thanks!

Also I ran the Heaven Benchmark 4.0 and it ran at about 85 before changing the settings in afterburner.

Cholkavich

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

I just built the pc and got it up and running last night and was running some tests. So the pc is clean! For the case I am using a Xion: XON-985-BK (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811208057) so it has two fans on the front and one in the back plus lots of ventilation.

Thanks for the link, this is all a learning experience for me being my first gaming PC.

Cholkavich

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

Im sorry, let me clarify. It runs at around 80C during the Heaven 4.0 Benchmark. So when the temp hits 80 i have the fan arc to hit 100%.

I found this which shows it running at about 75.
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4632/xfx_radeon_hd_7870_black_edition_2gb_video_card_review/index15.html

Ill have to test it more with Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon once I get home. Im just worried as I dont want to play the game for a long time while slowly baking my GPU haha. Thanks everyone who has responded so far I would love to figure this out so keep'em coming :)

Which way up is the power supply? Sometimes inverting it helps to cool things down in the bottom of the case where airflow is often very poor.
Make sure both front fans are blowing in and the rear 120 m.m. is blowing out.
The temperature is safe but a little high, it may drop a few degrees as the card thermal paste settles down.

Cholkavich

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

The fan on the PSU is facing the rear & bottom of the case as it is right now. As for the fans the front are blowing in and the rear is blowing out. I was not aware that thermal paste has to settle but that makes sense, how long would you say that this tends to take so that way I can run a before and after. Im not sure if this matters but I live in El Paso Tx where the summers are almost regularly in the 100-110s

You need air con ;).
Try turning the PSU over, so the fan is at the top, it may help by drawing hot air out of the case, as it is, the PSU is drawing its air from under the case. And yes, I'm aware this may result in the PSU pulling warm air in.
The settling in will take a few days.

Cholkavich

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
So I flipped the PSU and have ordered a 140mm fan for the bottom of the case and 2 120mm fans for the top to vent out some of the heat. Ill give you an update once its all put together!