Beware the Newegg Return Policy

plevien

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
If you buy a complete Newegg kit, and have to return a defective part, they will deduct the combo discount for the entire system.

I bought a complete kit. The hard drive was defective. The replacement policy was to wait for mine to be returned, then ship a new drive a few days later, 7-10 days total. They advised that returning the defective drive for a refund and ordering a replacement as a separate transaction would be quicker. I elected to return the drive for a refund and source a replacement locally.

The refund confirmation email listed a deduction for the full combo discount. This is part of their posted policy, but it was not mentioned when we discussed the replacement options.

I contacted Newegg and we had an unpleasant haggling session where they kept offering me incrementally better compensation, eventually offering a gift card in the amount of the combo discount.

Their policy is broken, as it makes no distinction between a customer who receives a defective part and someone returning a part for a less valid reason. As a result, a defective part will cost the customer time and/or money.

Newegg is transferring some of defective parts cost to the customer. Sorry, but I can't do business with a company who sees a defective part as an opportunity to milk the customer for a few more dollars.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Send an email telling exactly what you think and add it isn't your fault that they are sending defective parts, and ask if it's just a gimmick to get more money out of people, ask that a supervisor respond. If no satisfaction let the supervisor know that you will file a complaint that they are selling defective parts at the customers expense and it's considered false advertising,,good chance they will change their tune...bet they expected you to pay for the return shipping also. If you stand your ground, it should come out well and you shouldn't have problems with them in the future

cmm4545

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Good luck with Newegg. I've tried and failed as did American Express to get my defective motherboard credited numerous times. I've dealt with many companies over the years and can honestly say that most are great. They value customers and work diligently to solve problems if and when they occur. In this age of social media it only makes sense to keep your customers happy. But Newegg is not one of the good companies. They are ingenius at finding reasons to keep your money after selling a defective product. If only they were that proactive at finding solutions that kept the customers happy that had legitimate issues. Most people are reasonable. They aren't looking to rip off the company and only want the same treatment in return. They don't want ripped off by Newegg or anyone else. Newegg doesn't get it. They think they can hide behind unreasonable fine print to keep money that they should be returning to customers. That's shady and I won't deal with them again. I just hope enough people think twice before getting suckered in by prices that are a buck or two lower. It's not worth the risk or agitation if things go bad. My advice is to steer clear of Newegg.

LoNup

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
I just have the same experience. I order an Asus Mars 760 and when I got the product is defected. so i ask for a RMA and sure they did send me one, but when i shipped back and they receive it and inspected the answer was, well this is not the product we sent you, is the same Mars 760 but the serial number do not match. i'm wondering how could that be? is the same card you sent me and now i'm sending it back. so the idea they have is well you could have to product and find the serial number and try to see who sold you it. ridiculous[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cepw3HI4xqY"][/video]