Nvidia Geforce GTS 250

MarianSony

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Right now, I have an Intel core 2 duo e7500 and gts 250
next week I will buy an I5 3350p and I don't have enough money to buy a graphic card( maybe in a few months)
My question is, will the gts 250 ( 512 Mb) slow down the i5?
I will probably stay away from playing games until i get a good card

MarianSony

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

so, is it safe to play some games like that?
oh and , 3350p doesn't come with built in graphics

Yeah of course :) Your card isn't high-end, but it's certainly not useless. If you drop the games graphics settings down low, you should be able to play most games on it. And good point about the built-in graphics :) That's why I'd choose a non-P model personally!

Agreed! I just got a new card and I'm having a lot of fun gaming with it! There's definitely something to be said though for getting good use out of your hardware and only upgrading when it becomes a genuine necessity. Then you know you've got the maximum value from your purchases. Course that doesn't factor in selling your hardware while it's still worth something, but that's down to your time and ability to sell things for a decent price.

MarianSony

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
yeah, I know :)
someone told me that 7870 is very great and not that expensive
what should i get? ( if :D)
a gtx 660(non ti) or 7870?

I would pick up a GTX660 without a doubt. Purely interms of average framerates, the 7870 has a small lead over the GTX660. Nothing that would ever be noticeable though. With nVidia hardware you'll get smoother, more consistent delivery of performance (less up/down/up/down speed) especially if you ever added a second card in SLI in a year or two or whenever. You'll also get proper PhysX support in games so you can fully enjoy all the special effects.

MarianSony

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
But gtx 660 is on 192 bit while 7870 on 256( my monitor's resolution is 1920x1080)
doesn't that change things a bit?
and i don't want to add another card in SLi( the MB doesn't support)
also, not interesting in OC either :)

Not at all. That's just a rumour spread by AMD fanboys :) It's factually correct that the GTX660 has a 192-bit memory bus, but the untrue part is that matters. What really matters is bandwidth, which is the product of bus width and memory clock speed. The GTX660 has a faster memory clock frequency, which results in bandwidth of 144GB/s. The 7870 gets 153GB/s. That's only a 6% improvement. Forget the specs anyway - for me, it's interesting to know this stuff but it's not useful. All I have to do is look at benchmarks - that's the real world results of the specs and the only thing that really counts.