Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Richland-based AMD Athlon X4 FM2 CPUs Launched

Last response: in News comments
Share
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2013 10:06:05 AM

Wait, two flavors - one is unlocked? Then what the hell does the -K signify?
Score
0
a c 80 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 19, 2013 10:25:24 AM

wth. what happened to previous convention of -k suffix for unlocked multiplier? for $30 more?! these should be priced under $90 imo.
looks like a ploy to confuse and trick interested buyers into getting a locked cpu.
Score
0
Related resources
June 19, 2013 10:29:02 AM

Black Editions have been the unlocked ones as far as I know. Intel uses the K to signify unlocked. I wonder if they will make some new Phenoms.
Score
1
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2013 10:49:17 AM

The black edition seems to be readily available at around £65 which is ~$100...
Score
0
June 19, 2013 10:50:16 AM

BEs are the unlocked multipliers, I don't recall what the K stands for.

Glad to see that AMD's starting to release some new parts. I would like to see one of these benchmarked to see what kinds of improvements have been made.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2013 10:50:56 AM

whiteodian said:
Black Editions have been the unlocked ones as far as I know. Intel uses the K to signify unlocked. I wonder if they will make some new Phenoms.


Phenom cores plus GCN iGPU would be a huge win for entry level gaming builds. would make some really interesting mini-ITX builds (as you can lose the GPU slot as well)
Score
0
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2013 10:51:43 AM

Ok, time for Phenom III
Score
1
June 19, 2013 10:52:12 AM

if they make it low power, it will be good chip for cyber cafe
Score
0
June 19, 2013 11:02:12 AM

That makes no sense... Non black-editions does not have the 'k' suffix and come in a white box with a 65w tdp.. don't see why they would break that pattern with only one processor...

Also can't find the 760k non-black-edition anywhere.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2013 11:18:54 AM

Ranth said:
Also can't find the 760k non-black-edition anywhere.


Probably because it doesn't exist. The price of the black edition is currently what this article considers the locked version to be.
Score
0
June 19, 2013 1:14:12 PM

This artical doesn't make any sense...

Have a look at Newegg,

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=EN...

A6-5400k, A6-6400k, A8-5600k, A8-6600k, A10-5800k, A10-6800k, Athlon x4 750k

All have unlocked multipliers. All have black boxes and have names that are followed by a "k". None are refered to as "Black Editions".

The odd man out is the Athlon x2 370, which has a black box, no K, but has been reported to have an ulocked multiplier. I could not find it on AMD's site to verify that though.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2013 1:32:29 PM

1991ATServerTower said:

The odd man out is the Athlon x2 370, which has a black box, no K, but has been reported to have an ulocked multiplier. I could not find it on AMD's site to verify that though.


Nevertheless, the Athlon X2 370K does have a unlocked multiplier.

AMDs website is horrid.
Score
0
June 19, 2013 1:40:26 PM

Look again at the packaging all the "K" series chips are indeed labeled "Black Edition".


I think this article is just full of misinformation. :) 
Score
0
June 20, 2013 1:08:22 AM

I picked up a 760K Black Edition for £52.49 (approx $83) including VAT and delivery from Dabs in the UK. That might have been a special offer as they are now £62.98 ($95) in stock which sounds about right from this forum.
Score
0
June 21, 2013 4:36:52 AM

you know AMD should really start making some Motherboards with PCIe 3.0!yes i would like to spend less money on the mother board and CPU but instead i would like to spend more money on my GPU.and most of the PCIe 2.0 graphics are nearly out of production or their price tag is just unbelievable.for example an EVGA GTX 580 3gb classified is 600$(this is one of the best PCIe 2.0 cards you can get).why would i buy that when GTX 770 is only 420$?hell 7970 Ghz edition is 450$!...you can buy those but you would definitely encounter bottleneck problems when you install them.right now the only mother Board that has PCIe3.0 has been made by Asus but the socket is AM3+.also as soon as it re-stocks in sites within 10 minutes all of it is sold....
Score
0
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2013 1:57:08 PM

HKILLER said:
you know AMD should really start making some Motherboards with PCIe 3.0!yes i would like to spend less money on the mother board and CPU but instead i would like to spend more money on my GPU.and most of the PCIe 2.0 graphics are nearly out of production or their price tag is just unbelievable.for example an EVGA GTX 580 3gb classified is 600$(this is one of the best PCIe 2.0 cards you can get).why would i buy that when GTX 770 is only 420$?hell 7970 Ghz edition is 450$!...you can buy those but you would definitely encounter bottleneck problems when you install them.right now the only mother Board that has PCIe3.0 has been made by Asus but the socket is AM3+.also as soon as it re-stocks in sites within 10 minutes all of it is sold....


You do realize you can use PCIe 3.0 cards in PCIe 2.0 slots? Also, no modern card can actually utilize the full bandwidth capacity of a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot.
Score
0
June 22, 2013 5:23:32 PM

HellfireMagic said:
I picked up a 760K Black Edition for £52.49 (approx $83) including VAT and delivery from Dabs in the UK. That might have been a special offer as they are now £62.98 ($95) in stock which sounds about right from this forum.


Out of curiosity, which FM2 board did you buy? I find that FM2 boards offer a more sensible set of features and out of the box bios compatibility certainty than the AM3+ line up. The L3 cache on the FX 4xxx line is nice, however it's cheaper and less of a headache to buy the Trinity Athlons x4s.
Score
0
August 10, 2013 11:41:00 AM

slomo4sho said:

You do realize you can use PCIe 3.0 cards in PCIe 2.0 slots? Also, no modern card can actually utilize the full bandwidth capacity of a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot.


It matters when you use 4x or 8x Pci-E slots.

Even 4x pci-e 3.0 van provide more bandwidth as a 8x pci- 2.0.
Score
0
!