A Cheap PC For A Child To Build?

vegeta13613

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I am looking to buy components that I can have my nephew build. He is ten years old, and he lives very far away from me, which complicates things greatly (I likely won't be able to give him any hands-on help).

I would like something that is cheap, but looks cool (I might have to spend a little extra to get a nice looking, relatively small case).

It needs to be a pretty easy build (I think installing a Cooler Master Hyper 212 would be too complex, for example). I don't know if there is a good step-by-step guide for a build on YouTube that I could copy (just buy the exact same pieces and let him follow it step-by-step). I don't mind helping him on Skype when I can, but I would like it to be more or less something he does on his own. He will have hands-on help from his parents when needed, but they have never built a computer before.

I don't have lots of money right now, so I plan on buying one or two pieces a month, then shipping them to him so that he can add them in. I know the dangers of building over a long term, but in this case, I think it is not a huge concern.

I would like to keep the budget under $500 (before monitor, OS). Closer to $400, if possible. I would like Intel 4000 graphics or better (Intel or AMD doesn't matter to me). I will be buying the parts on Newegg most likely.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Pretty straightforward build using built-in AMD graphics that benchmark significantly higher than Intel HD 4000.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/186sz
CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Micro ATX FM2 ($75.38 @ Newegg) Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $426.32 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

vegeta13613

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Thanks for the great info, sharkbyte! I have never gone with AMD, but I have always heard that their processors can run hot... I assume that as long as he is running the A10 at stock speeds, the stock fan should be enough?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on a flashy PC case that might catch my nephew's attention? I plan on sending him the case (and maybe motherboard) first, so I want him to be excited about it. It would likely have to be a mid tower or smaller so that he could work on it himself. I found one with a nice big side window, LED fan and LCD temp monitor... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144197&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Computer+Cases-_-N82E16811144197&gclid=CInLzs3n8LcCFa5DMgodSBwACA

I learned just about everything I know about PC building from Paul's Newegg videos, so I guess I will point my nephew that way.

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
The case in my list is the one I have at home, front blue (quiet) LED fan and huge side window without that fan intake blocking the view and I just purchased a blue LED light for rear for it.

AMD's can run hot but if he's not OC'ing should be OK
I'm an Intel man (employee) so it pains me to suggest AMD but for a budget build you'd have to sacrifice a lot of quality in other parts to afford an Intel quad core.

In US dollars, I'm sure I could get you an Intel system but using the UK suppliers it has you overbudget quite a bit.