Sign in with
Your question

Is this ATI card better than this NVIDIA one?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 19, 2013 11:29:58 AM

i ordered the HP pavillion dv7 quad edition notebook PC not that long ago and configured it to the max on their site, and its graphics card was the NVIDIA GTX 650M right, but after i got it yesterday they told me that because of some supply problem and because of where i live it has a Radeon HD 6770M instead of the NVIDIA one, the guy at the shop told me that its better than the NVIDIA one because it has 3gb VRAM, but is it really any good? im really disappointed because the NVIDIA one was one hell of a gfx card and it could run everything from demanding emulators (PCSX2) to the latest games, but i know nothing about this one or what to expect from it. how does the Radeon HD 6770M compare to the NVIDIA 650M guys?

More about : ati card nvidia

a c 160 U Graphics card
a b α HP
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
June 19, 2013 12:11:17 PM

Radeon 6770M slower than the GT 650M (there is not gtx 650m) but it's still a mid range laptop gaming card, it's about 30% slower based on the 3DMark 11 scores.

Take a look in www.notebookcheck.net, they have a very good database of the different video cards and you can do some research there.
a b U Graphics card
a b À AMD
June 19, 2013 12:47:41 PM

Honestly, they shouldn't even be doing that. They can't purposely give you a different component than the one listed in the specs.
The 650m should be stronger than the 6770m.
Related resources
June 19, 2013 2:39:08 PM

realchaos said:
Honestly, they shouldn't even be doing that. They can't purposely give you a different component than the one listed in the specs.
The 650m should be stronger than the 6770m.

Ugh i know, i feel like going on a massive rant with HP's customer support about this but i just know that they'd say its somehow not their problem and i should be complaining to the reseller, and in turn the reseller would tell me to complain to HP, and at the end just frustrating me even more without any results, fml.

so basically this graphics card is another rubbish laptop gpu like the integrated intel ones..?
June 19, 2013 2:41:02 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Radeon 6770M slower than the GT 650M (there is not gtx 650m) but it's still a mid range laptop gaming card, it's about 30% slower based on the 3DMark 11 scores.

Take a look in www.notebookcheck.net, they have a very good database of the different video cards and you can do some research there.

thanks for the link! i couldnt find my laptop with its current configuration though :/  its moments like these that i wish i had PCMark or something like it
a b U Graphics card
a b À AMD
June 19, 2013 2:46:08 PM

The 6770m is better than Intel's integrated HD 4000 graphics, but its certainly not as good as the 650m.
Complain to the retail shop that sold it to you. They have no right to advertise a laptop with a 650m and then purposely give you a 6770m. That's false advertisement and you could possibly sue them if they refuse to do a refund or replacement.
a c 160 U Graphics card
a b α HP
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
June 20, 2013 8:02:10 AM

ChiggyChigChig said:
hang-the-9 said:

thanks for the link! i couldnt find my laptop with its current configuration though :/  its moments like these that i wish i had PCMark or something like it

No need to find your laptop, you can just do a search for the video card.

The Radeon is a lot better than the onboard Intel video, just not as fast as the GT 650M. The amount of RAM does not have much to do with speed. If you had the order form for a 650M and did not get it, you should be able to return it if you want to find something with a faster video card.

If you were not told that they changed the card from the order before you got it, you should have full rights to return it or exchange it. The card in the laptop is slower enough that you will notice the difference, it's about 30% slower. That's about a full range of card class. The 650M is on the high end of the medium tier, maybe a low higher end card, the 6770M is on the lower mid tier level.
!