Please help me figure out my problem with load times

Andrew Cook

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Also to start I wasn't sure where to post this! Feel free to move!

So I just invested in a gaming PC to move from gaming on consoles. One reason I did this was because I speedrun Mirror's Edge. Official speedrun times would of course remove loading, but I load the first level of the game in 23 seconds and everyone else that runs the game loads the first level in 8-9 seconds and my PC is better than all of theirs and it is driving me crazy.

Specs:
Intel Core i7 3820(3.60GHz) (OC to 4.0)
16GB Ram
Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 1GB
HD is 7200 rpm
Windows 8

Also, the game takes 23 seconds to load in 1280 resolution and everything sent to low or off

What I have tried to do to fix the problem: First I tried a windows 7 partition thinking windows 8 was the problem. No improvement

Next I bought a SSD. Tried to install the game on the SSD using steam mover. No change

Next I installed a fresh copy of windows 7 on the SSD and a fresh install of mirrors edge. No change.

I am at a loss and incredibly frustrated. The computer works great except for loading this game so slowly. All games I own run great on 1920 resolution and high or ultra graphic settings.

If you have any ideas for me to try PLEASE let me know. Thank you SO much in advance.

Andrew Cook

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

I haven't even thought about a RAM issue. I will check the game cache on steam as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

JRAtk94

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Verify the games cache first - that's the first call when a game on Steam is playing up.

If the cache is verified, yet the problem persists, we need to look elsewhere.

Andrew Cook

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

I will do that today when I get home, but I worry since I have installed 2 other partitions with a fresh download of Mirror's Edge that we will need to look elsewhere

Andrew Cook

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Ok so update,

I went to verify the files on steam and it came up and said I was missing 4620 and that they would be downloaded.

Went through a 20 minute update and right at the end it just paused. Whenever I try to resume the download, it just pauses again

JRAtk94

Honorable
May 26, 2013
No wonder it was taking so long! 4620 is a hell of a lot.
The most files I've ever had missing was like, 2. :lol:

And just leave it for an hour or so - sometimes Steam gets weird like that. If it still hasn't downloaded by that time, you may need to delete and re-install the game entirely.

Andrew Cook

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

Yeah I was kinda thrown off by that number and not sure if I believe but I'm gonna let it sit for now and will try a reinstall if it hasn't done anything. I just worry about a fresh reinstall not doing anything since I've already tried that on 2 clean partitions. But the missing files thing was interesting.

JRAtk94

Honorable
May 26, 2013
That is indeed very interesting. It could be the case (although extremely unlikely) that the Steam version is corrupted on their servers.

Very interesting indeed.