Tags:
  • Games
  • Storage
  • Hard Drives
  • Software
Last response: in Storage
June 19, 2013 7:57:41 PM

Hi there, quick question.
I am running 3 Hard Drives in my new build and although this may seem as a rather simple question but this is my first build and I have never had more than one Hard Drive in a computer. So I was just wondering, how do I leave my SSD free of any software apart from obviously my OS? Is there a way I can make one of my Hard Drives the prime drive for all software and games to run off? If anyone can advise me on how to do this and make my second HDD the default for installing all programs and games that would be great, because it seems that no matter what I do when I install software onto this HDD it manages to leak onto my SSD? I would like my Hard Drives to be set up as follows:
SSD: Boot Drive
HDD 1: Programs and Games
HDD 2: All Media
How would I set this up?

All help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

More about : installing programs hdd

a b G Storage
June 19, 2013 8:32:33 PM

Program Files:
~----=====----~
1) Create a new program files folder @ the desired location.

2) Type “regedit” in the windows start menu search box and hit enter to continue.

3) Navigate to the following registry key in the Registry Editor:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

4) Locate the value named “ProgramFilesDir” and change the default value “C:\Program Files” to your new directory path (address).

5) Close the registry editor and reboot your system to apply the change.

-=Change /%Users% folder: =-

http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-...
June 20, 2013 12:26:15 PM

Dr_JRE said:
Program Files:
~----=====----~
1) Create a new program files folder @ the desired location.

2) Type “regedit” in the windows start menu search box and hit enter to continue.

3) Navigate to the following registry key in the Registry Editor:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

4) Locate the value named “ProgramFilesDir” and change the default value “C:\Program Files” to your new directory path (address).

5) Close the registry editor and reboot your system to apply the change.

-=Change /%Users% folder: =-

http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-...

This is what I do :(  I was hoping for a different answer as no matter how many times I do this, most my already installed program's that come with windows don't work, such as Windows Media player and so on. Despite this, when I go to install Google Chrome and AVG they both also automatically go to my SSD, and don't give me an option to change the directory, any help?
Thanks.
a b G Storage
June 22, 2013 9:34:42 PM

I skipped a couple things: I forgot to mention to perform this fix on both program files directories. You do need to move the contents of the old Program Files and Program Files x86 to the new directories.
Also, not all program installers bother to check for the correct the program files directory and just install to a preset location. Not much can be done about this if a program is hard coded to use a particular directory.
Maybe we can fix this by using a symbolic link. I have not tried this myself but you can use the command "mklink" in command prompt (Right click and select Run As Administrator) for more info about the mklink command check out this Microsoft TechNet article:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753194%28v...