So I found this Dell PC in the trash...

Adrianime

Distinguished
May 29, 2013
As a little bit of background, for the past month I've been researching and prepping to build my very first PC. I finally got all my parts in last weekend, and I plan to build this weekend.

My full Build is here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1700280/finalized-build-comments-appreciated.html

So I go out to take out the trash tonight, and when I open up the dumpster there is a dell PC sitting on the top of it (with the side panel removed, and motherboard facing up). After a bit of internal back and forth, I decided to grab it and take it up to my apt to look at it in preparation for my build this weekend. Was this a bad idea? You tell me.

Inside, I see a 1GB stick of RAM (useless to me), optical drive without a brand, and a Maxtor maxline III 250 GB HDD http://www.amazon.com/7L250S0-Maxtor-MaXLine-SATA-Drive/dp/B000Y8I8PW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1371703899&sr=8-4&keywords=maxline+iii

Of this, I'm considering taking the HDD, formatting it, and adding it as an extra drive on the comp I'm building (after I get everything else working, of course). I think it's an older Sata (1.5 Gb/s), but it should still work right? I figure I can use it as disposable storage, like a giant garbage bin or something.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Solution
No worse than cutting up cadavers to gain experience. :) But really, if the equipment is serviceable, why not! I think wiping the drive is a healthy idea, as you wouldn't want somebody else's leftovers to potentially spoil an otherwise good thing.

fatboytyler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
That HDD is very old. That is almost the same thing in my old Gateway with a Pentium 4. It's relatively loud and slow, but quite reliable. Its a good cheap drive, but not really good for boot or gaming on a modern build. Nice find though!

Adrianime

Distinguished
May 29, 2013

Thanks for the input. Yeah I definitely wouldn't use this drive to run anything, or boot. Just extra storage.

No worse than cutting up cadavers to gain experience. :) But really, if the equipment is serviceable, why not! I think wiping the drive is a healthy idea, as you wouldn't want somebody else's leftovers to potentially spoil an otherwise good thing.

Solution

fatboytyler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

If you could find a SATA to USB adapter you could convert it into a sort of external drive. But yea, using it for extra storage for random stuff would be perfect.

Adrianime

Distinguished
May 29, 2013
The DELL HDD beeped and screeched when i tried to put it in my computer. So I gave up on the idea. Haha, it was a good experiment though!