Gaming PC Build - Looking for input

Matthew Painter

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
First off, let me say this forum community is awesome. While I was putting together my thoughts on this upgrade (being someone out of the PC world for awhile) this forum was my number one resource.

I have a moderate amount of build of experience, I've built a computer in the past but was on a low budget and eventually just threw the thing together and learned along the way from there.

The goal of this build is give me a gaming/media (no real video editing)/internet surfing PC. I plan to put the PC in the living room and use my receiver/speaker/tv combo. The biggest thing is I want this computer to last without having to reinvest too much money into it and the price (~1200) is what I'm looking to spend.

That's enough typing for me I would appreciate any and all feedback on what I've put together:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/18jWW
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/18jWW/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/18jWW/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($65.70 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.63 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($374.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech K400 Wireless Slim Keyboard w/Touchpad ($29.96 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G500 Wired Laser Mouse ($47.45 @ Amazon)
Total: $1233.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-20 02:10 EDT-0400)

-Gary

So you want a gaming HTPC, basically a more powerful console. That can be done fairly easily.

And you'v basically done it :p
That rig is perfect for your needs, I dont see any real need to change it. Only suggestion would be too go with a smaller case (Corsair 350D, Fractal Define Mini) and an M-ATX board, but your good to go with that rig.

Have you thought of putting a TV tuner card in?

Matthew Painter

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
I hadn't thought of putting a tuner card in there. What does a tuner card buy me? Also I did some additional checking and the GTX-770 is only $20ish more expensive with a nice jump in performance. Would you recommend that card over the GTX-670?

Oh and one more question the seasonic 620W is that enough power to support the possible addition of another card in the future for SLI?

I don't have much experience with M-ATX are there any disadvantages to using M-ATX over ATX? I imagine less capable/ports/connections etc but not sure. Thanks for the input!

A Tuner card allows your machine to accept a TV input, using something like Windows Media Center you can watch TV through your rig.
For $20 go for it.

if your going to SLI later on, go for a 750W PSU.

Thats basically it, less ports and expandability.
Dont go with an M-ATX rig if you intend to SLI later on.

TRENDING THREADS