MSI Z87-G45 Bios recovery?

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Hi All

So here is my problem.............I installed the MoBo fine and it all worked, no problem. One of the Utilities that come with the MoBo is an application called Live Update 5.0, which is supposed to keep the system as current as possible. In this application were 2 Update, one was something called "Sync" and thither was an updated BIOS from 1.10 to 1.20 and recommended to update. I clicked the relevant button and off it went doing it's thing until................The Bios thing got to 99% in this little DOS type box, then the computer turned itself off and that was it, game over. All the computer will do now is sit there with a blank screen, turning itself off and on every 5mins, it just doesn't POST at all

Is there a way to recover the BIOS as I am sure that MSI's wonderful programme has messed up my board.

Any advice gratefully received, many thanks

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Not to worrk I have sorted it out, had to download latest BIOS from MSI and then have an educated guess as to what key to press to enable USB boot, then installed the original BIOS and now its all running.

Phew!

bunus

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

What key was that? I have the same problem

b_h

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013

What sequence do I need to press F2? Also, I place just the .zip bios in my usb or the bios file itself? Thanks so much!

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I pressed the F2 key as soon as the PC started and then used a USB Dongle to load the BIOS. You need to make sure that the file is in a .ROM format and not .zip or anything else. When prompted install the relevant BIOS file and you should be in business!

Hope this helps

arkanisgath

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

Hi,

I have the problem that the OP posted. I updated to the 1.40 bios but now the computer after I press the power button, doesn't do anything. The fans turn on, and lights are on, but nothing else happens. I removed my graphics and wireless cards (no cards inserted now) and unplugged my HDD as well. All that's in are the 2 RAMs (and the CPU obviously).
The monitor doesn't receive a signal either, through VGA or DVI. The keyboard LEDs don't turn on either. I placed the E7821IMS.140 (from the BIOS update zip file) in a USB key and put it on the USB at the back of the computer. After turning the computer on, I hammered F2 but it still sits there, with a signal-less monitor.
I've tried pulling the battery out and pressing the CMOS reset button, but it still does the same.

Any ideas?

Iluyan

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
Hi There,

I ran into the same problem.

I recently got the mobo and everything worked fine. I used Live Update 5.0 To flash bios (through Windows) to the 1.5 version from 1.0

The bios update succeeded, although it never confirmed it, it appeared to have the new version installed. However. In the POST screen or rather before it, it remains on a black screen for way longer. then when it progresses to windows 7, it hangs at the logo, for a LONG time, but eventually it passes through. Once in Windows, my Mouse will hang at the first moments, but eventually when its all loaded everything works fine. But rebooting/booting is something i want to avoid.... That suck since i actually have an SSD installed which used to boot this system Extremly fast like in 10 seconds, now it takes 2-3 mins.

I was almost sure the bios update was the cause, as the problem started after i did the update, however when i flashed back to 1.0, the problem remained...... What can i do ?

Sounds like you got a bad flash. I recommend the MSI Users HQ BIOS Flash Tool: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=116721.0
I would try again to flash to v. 1.50 and be sure to update the Intel ME.

1) D/L the compressed BIOS file for your MB. DO NOT extract the .ZIP file. Remember where you put the file.

2)Plug a flash drive into your computer's USB 2.0 port.

3)D/L and install the Flash tool on your computer. Run the tool and select "Option 1". Point the tool to your saved BIOS file and the tool will extract the new BIOS file and place it with the necessary software on the USB drive.

4) Reboot your computer and keep pressing F11 to bring up the boot menu. Point the boot menu to your USB drive.

5) Allow the computer to boot from the USB drive. Follow the on-screen instructions. The tool strongly recommends running Memtest 86 but I just ignore that. No need to unless you suspect your memory is faulty.

6) Shut down the computer and unplug it.

7) Clear the CMOS by shorting the appropriate pins on your MB. Refer to the manual for their location.

8) Plug in the computer and restart. Press DEL to enter the BIOS. In the BIOS, press F6, which loads Optimized Defaults.

9) Press F10 to "Save and Exit".

10) Boot into Windows and use Live Update to D/L and install the latest Intel ME drivers. (NEVER use Live Update for a BIOS flash!

That's it! All done! Just be sure that you don't turn off the computer during the flash or you could brick your MB.

Good luck!

Yogi

Iluyan

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
Thx for your answer Y0GI

However i seem to have solved the problem myself already in the meantime. I removed the CMOS battery for about 30 minutes and then placed it again. The slow booting was gone and it booted fast again. My internet however started being "inconstant" and unstable. I thought this could be because either since i recently upgraded from 60mbit to 120mbit or that i updated the network driver aswell. However when i Re-plugged the cable (simply removed and put it back in) i had no internet issues anymore whatsoever.

Its really weird and all but i came to 1 conclussion.
At the moment my system is running fine, I can play League of Legends on smooth FPS without lags. I am still running in the 1.0 bios version though but i'd like to say "DONT EVER TOUCH SOMETHING THAT IS JUST WORKING COMPLETLY FINE FOR YOU. Since thats the case for me, i will not risk to update to 1.5 bios with the tool you provided untill i run into trouble again ^^.

Glad to hear that you got it fixed, Iluyann! Give me a holler if you run into anymore problems.

Yogi

tombombadil1

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
I have the same problem, pc won't show anything on screen etc but when my black DOS box appeared during the update I closed it halfway through thinking it was harmful. Really scared as to what I've done now. PLEASE help :(.

Jozef Kanis

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Hey Yogi,

I belive I am facing very same problem as you were. Or atleast very similar. I have done 1,2,3 and almoust 4th point aswell, but there is a BUT. Thing is I can´t enter to boot menu. Without nor with key. I have tried :

- take off everything external (video card,..) * I thought that guilty is the graphics card so I tried run on the VGA from the MB
- CMOS button at the back side
- CMOS jumper
- boot from CD (Windows, Linux)
- boot from key ( I followed your procedure )

Nothing really helps. All that computer does is blank screen with no information. BIOS doesnt load ( been pressing "del", "f8", .. nothing really happens.

MB doesnt flash or anything, fans are goin prity well, keyboard and mouse seems work also well (judging from backlight).
Any clues ?

Keep in mind I cant even enter to BIOS.. so can not set boot from key.

Jozef Kanis

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Z87-G45 GAMING
I am hundred percent sure that it has something to do with the Live Update and BIOS. I forgot to mention that this Live update been doin some updates just few seconds before PC collapsed once for good.

There appears to be something wrong with your BIOS, Jozef. My only suggestion is to unplug the computer and remove the coin battery from the MB to try and reset the BIOS. Leave the battery out for 5 minutes and then reinstall it. Plug in the computer and re-boot. See if you can get into BIOS.

If that doesn't work, I would contact MSI Tech Support. In my experience, they respond quickly and can be very helpful: http://us.msi.com/service/SupportIndex/

Good luck!

Yogi

Jozef Kanis

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Thanks for fast reply. I will let you know.

An question just came across my mind - shall I try it re-boot without battery aswell ? (in case procedure you mentioned will not work ?)

Jozef Kanis

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
OK, no success. Battery was out for (cca) 10min and after I placed it back and re-boot nothing really happens. Same case.

Thanks for your support and hints. Gona try MSI support you have recommanded me earlyer.

Best regards
Jozef