Closed

Nvidia Shield Gets a Price Cut Down to $299, Set for June 27

Nvidia is knocking $50 off Shield's previous price point.

Nvidia Shield Gets a Price Cut Down to $299, Set for June 27 : Read more
33 answers Last reply
More about nvidia shield price cut 299 set june
  1. maibe 150 at most or + tax nothing over 200 thats just dumb
  2. Hmmm funky Xbox look-a-like controller with a HUD or a 3DS for $100-140 cheaper...
  3. nice... this is a step in the right direction... still a strange product. gonna wait for reviews
  4. A press release that sounds nice, but really that pretty much sounds like they're saying, "everyone who has tried this thing thinks it's not worth what we're trying to sell it for". It is practically a PC gaming peripheral with a screen attached. But if you're sitting in front of your PC I don't see why you would need another smaller screen in your hands.
  5. I see this system as a semi-portable rather than full portable; you'll need a backpack or something similar to carry it out in the world, but it will be quite portable around the house. The big deal for me is that this should be the ultimate handheld for emulation. pretty much anything up to the PS2 and maybe even the original X-Box could be emulated at good speed on the Tegra 4. Saying this should only cost $150 is like saying the XBone and PS4 should only cost $200. It would be nice, but then the real world comes in to smack that idea down. Tech costs money, and when you aren't getting license fees from game developers, you can't sell a system at a loss without going out of business.
  6. I think I would just buy a Vita, or just keep tethering my PS3 controller to my Nexus 7 for free.
  7. Odd but interesting device. I could see getting one of these at some point down the road to play games up in the main house when I do not want to be down in the dungeon with my PC. But $300 (plus the cost of a compatible nVidia GPU for streaming said games) seems like a rather steep price to pay.

    Another thing too is that this is essentially just streaming your monitor output to the device via WiFi... this is not hard to do, and in fact I already do this with my cell phone via PC Remote. The obvious difference is that there are physical button controls, and the video stream is compressed in real time to get a high quality low latency video to the device, but I do not think that this justifies the $300 price tag, plus an additional $250-500 cost of a new GPU. This type of tech could easily be developed as a software solution for next gen phones for much less money, and without having to be tied to a specific hardware ecosystem.
  8. This could be good "controller" for a PC gamer. You just use it as a controller, but still play on you big PC, monitor, etc. Then when. all of a sudden you feel the urge to take a crap, but the next savepoint is years away, voila, no interruption.
  9. I think this is a mistake, Nvidia should just stay doing Video Cards/chips.
    I just hope that they can survive this, after all it wouldn't be the first time that a silly product
    (read: bad product decision) bankrupts a company.
  10. Still no
  11. In an interview Huang clearly state that nvidia did not expect to sell many of these thing to begin with although he would be happy if nvidia able to do so. 299 maybe about right for them. If they price this device lower than 199 it might defeat the purpose why they are making this device in the first place
  12. ... why is everyone so pissed about this? $300 is freaking cheap, too bad it'll probably sell for over $500 here (India)... I'd totally replace my tablet with this. Are you guys out of your minds, this thing is cheaper than most Android devices with similar specs AND it has a controller!
  13. I really really really want to see the reviews on how this thing handles streaming PC games.

    In all honesty, him playing Borderlands 2 on it in this video looks painful at best:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMjd5HIK44I
  14. yeah.. excelent starting price. then if they realized it isn't selling down the road, they can slash it again to 249 or even 199.... for now it is the right price.
  15. Or I can just mount PS3 controller to my existing Android device, and have something better...
    Gameklip (20 bucks) + cheap case to mount to (3-5 dollars) = 25 bucks.
  16. Realistic price for a tegra 4 handheld, we are forgetting that this device is meant to play android games with alike performance of previous gen consoles. PC streaming is a secondary option.
  17. Well, considering an ipod costs $230, i think $300 for this is fine, considering all the streaming and hardware features.
  18. Realistic price for a tegra 4 handheld, we are forgetting that this device is meant to play android games with alike performance of previous gen consoles. PC streaming is a secondary option.
  19. Still wouldn't buy it at the reduced price.
  20. Does that mean those of us that have a standing preorder will get that reduced price as they haven't charged me yet even though I reserved it nearly a month ago.

    -CB
  21. It just seems like a strange device. You gotta really be intense to want this.
  22. Cell phones are expensive because everything is ultra compact. This thing is huge in comparison. They can use rather bulky components.

    It really shouldn't be over $199 but good for them if they can get $299 even.
  23. amk-aka-Phantom said:
    ... why is everyone so pissed about this? $300 is freaking cheap, too bad it'll probably sell for over $500 here (India)... I'd totally replace my tablet with this. Are you guys out of your minds, this thing is cheaper than most Android devices with similar specs AND it has a controller!


    If I want a handheld gaming system with controller and screen included, well I'd rather buy a 3DS XL or PS Vita
  24. Does that mean those of us that have a standing preorder will get that reduced price as they haven't charged me yet even though I reserved it nearly a month ago.

    -CB
  25. But guys! This is worth thousands of dollars in value!
  26. amk-aka-Phantom said:
    ... why is everyone so pissed about this? $300 is freaking cheap, too bad it'll probably sell for over $500 here (India)... I'd totally replace my tablet with this. Are you guys out of your minds, this thing is cheaper than most Android devices with similar specs AND it has a controller!

    My thoughts exactly! :D
    Though at $500 it'll be a tough sell. I think it'll be sold for around 22k ($390) here, assuming 30% taxes and the currently crazy exchange rate...

    cbfelterbush said:
    Does that mean those of us that have a standing preorder will get that reduced price as they haven't charged me yet even though I reserved it nearly a month ago.

    -CB

    Yeah, nvidia said that folks who'd pre-ordered would get it for $300.

    Anonymous said:
    Cell phones are expensive because everything is ultra compact. This thing is huge in comparison. They can use rather bulky components.

    It really shouldn't be over $199 but good for them if they can get $299 even.

    Huh?? Apple iPad? $500? $800+ where i live? Americans are used to getting phones for cheap (upfront, at least), so i know this price looks steep, but it's actually not too bad if you have a use for it.

    Maybe a bit too much if you're picking it up just to try it out, but it's pretty cheap.
  27. Albert Rampo said:
    maibe 150 at most or + tax nothing over 200 thats just dumb


    Maybe you’d be right if the competition wasn’t a Vita at $300 (with 16GB SD card to match Shield) or a 3DS XL at $250 again needing that card to match 16GB. And don’t you have to pay more for the GPS on Vita? (the 3G model?)? Also note you can stick even more into Shield as it also has a slot (anyone know the max? 64GB card?) I guess you think these two are massively over-priced products as well right? Both of them are nowhere near $150 with the cards and games are $20-36 for the same game running on android for $10-20 (or less).

    1. Both of which have crappy resolutions 960x544 (vita) and worse 800 x 240 (3DS or 320x240…LOL for lower). Shield has 720p and can output 1080p movies (claim 4K, but LOL we’ll see), no comparison even playing movies ON the unit.
    2. Can’t play movies out to your TV (mkv, avi, etc anything android can play), so no on the go movie player for say HOTEL rooms to TV etc.
    3. Can’t browse via any android software (firefox, chrome etc) on a 294ppi screen with all the features android gives you in a browser with a decent OS to boot.
    4. Have very limited GAMES out or coming
    5. Are VERY underpowered vs T4 (4xA15 with 72gpu cores vs. A9 or less)
    6. 512MB main memory or worse vs. 2GB for shield.
    7. No MIMO wireless N on either
    8. Worse speakers on both
    9. No USB for huge storage if needed (sony may have something coming, but looks to be only for charging).
    10. Worse battery life on both vs. shield (estimated 7-10hr on shield + 24hrs of HD playback!)
    11. I’m thinking you can print docs etc via Bluetooth wifi or usb on shield:)
    12. Did I mention PC streaming of your games from your GPU? :) They ran borderlands 2 on it so streaming even shooters should be good and games like skyrim etc are great. I only need $130 card to do this (and 65% of us already own NV cards according to steam etc).
    13. Games don’t need to be made FOR shield. You just have to be targeting the 1.5 Million devices android activates DAILY! No game made for shield will fail due to FEW units like Vita sales. A game made for T4’s soc power will run fine most likely on 100mil Galaxy S4’s this year etc…Guessing, between T4/Octa/S800/S600 you’ll have a few HUNDRED million devices to aim a AAA game at. No need to even bother below this list with numbers like that. Vita hasn’t sold 8mil…ROFL Good luck convincing devs to make a game for that.
    14. With ouya, gamepop, gamestick, etc etc coming more and more games will be made on mobile with GAMEPADS in mind, never mind the same GS4’s mentioned earlier also work with gamepads as Samsung demoed already. Qcom just hired 30 devs to demonstrate game powers of their socs, so get ready for xbox360/ps3 style gaming next year on mobile with the top 3 soc vendors aiming squarely at gaming now (all new devices work with gamepads AFAIK).

    Only 5% of 1600+ developers (GDC 2013 survey) are planning a game for Vita and only 2.6% for 3DS. A massive 60% of those developers are planning mobile games. Read that again...LOL. These are DEAD.

    I could go on, but most should get the point by now:) I think it was wise of NV to pass on consoles also. As Jen had previously showed from 2004-2011 NV only made 500mil on ALL PS3 sales. That’s less than $75mil per year and these ones might totally FAIL. Wiiu sales were off 50% after xmas and even Bobby Kotick (Activision) says they’ll be watching for the drop after this xmas on ps4/xbox1. That’s not good and they have about 7 decent competitors this time (ouya, gamepop, shield, steambox, wikipad, mojo, gamestick etc).

    http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/150892-nvidia-gave-amd-ps4-because-console-margins-are-terrible
    He makes a mistake saying NV made 400mil in profits of their 1.9B revenue (it’s 400mil revenue in 2002-2003 NOT profit…probably made less than 100mil and no PS3 was out then to compete). Losing 4.5B (sony) and 2.6B (MS) is already disheartening for this next gen. Sony only said they wouldn’t lose AS MUCH, not break even. 3DS has been out for 2.25yrs and sold 33mil. Vita out for over a year and only 7.5mil. If shield even sells a million they will be laughing as it only cost 10mil to develop (they already had a soc made for other uses), and likely makes around $100 even at $300 price.

    Vita BOM is $159 (+$12 to put it together) and 3DS less ($100.71 +the same $12 or so to build). So even if it costs $200 they make $100 on each (and they don’t have to pay for the total soc cost like others, they own it already). So at 1mil units they make 100mil in profit. With so many advanced features vs the vita/3ds I’m guessing pre-orders were a 500K-million with the cut just with NV fanboys alone…ROFL. Many see it as a portable hdmi movie player that happens to be a great gamer too (the reverse of what it is…LOL). According to Jen’s 2011 data it takes 8x more consoles roughly to pocket 100mil in profit (not revenue, rougly 400mil revenue per console company). Does anyone get the math here yet? It will rev yearly drawing more gamepad games and better games, no different than phones & tablets. The next one is already done, just drop a new soc in for the same price (T5 anyone? kepler mobile…LOL). So dev cost of that, assuming they don’t add much more than a better soc will probably be less than 2mil to develop…ROFL. I have a vid card purchase coming first (maxwell) but this will be VERY tasty to me with a T5 next May/June with say, 144 cores vs. 72 for T4 and based on kepler tech with cuda/phsyx opengl 4.3 etc. A die shrink should allow that and even just leaving cpu alone and upping a few hundred mhz should be great.
  28. nord_musician said:
    amk-aka-Phantom said:
    ... why is everyone so pissed about this? $300 is freaking cheap, too bad it'll probably sell for over $500 here (India)... I'd totally replace my tablet with this. Are you guys out of your minds, this thing is cheaper than most Android devices with similar specs AND it has a controller!


    If I want a handheld gaming system with controller and screen included, well I'd rather buy a 3DS XL or PS Vita



    Why? Look at the 14 points I made. They suck power/feature wise compared to shield and have no games coming based on GDC 2013 survey. Do you think game developers were lying or something?

    Asphalt 8 can be added below now too among others as this list is a little old now but still very compelling as they are not just running angry birds now :) Check out the vids for each on googleplay then please explain why a Vita or 3DS is better vs the 14 points I made before :) I forgot one more point in there too; Shield is far more comfortable to hold for hours much like a regular controller as everyone stated after using it. No wearing out your hands.

    Demon Score (square enix)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.demonsgp&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5zcXVhcmVfZW5peC5kZW1vbnNncCJd

    Wild Blood
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftWBHM&feature=related_apps

    Note the unreal engine 3 is just kicking off on mobile, a lot more in the pipe. Also Real Boxing and Hawken (hawken is coming, NV showed it running on T4 already).

    Modern Combat 1-4:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftM4HM&feature=more_from_developer

    Make sure you up the video to 1080p... It rocks. This is PRE-T4. These are made for current crap T3 etc...OLD, some even T2 games below.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftM3HM&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmdhbWVsb2Z0LmFuZHJvaWQuQU5NUC5HbG9mdE0zSE0iXQ..

    Eternity Warriors 2 (1-5mil installs in the last 30 days...wow):
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glu.ewarriors2&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmdsdS5ld2FycmlvcnMyIl0.
    WOW, no, there will be no good games on tablets/phones etc. :)

    Iron Man 3 (impressive to say the least)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftIMHM&feature=related_apps

    Frontline Commando
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glu.flcn_new&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmdsdS5mbGNuX25ldyJd

    Nova 3 (nova 1 & 2 aren't bad either)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftN3HM&feature=more_from_developer

    Dark Knight Rises:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftKRHM&feature=more_from_developer

    Gangstar Rio
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftG4HM&feature=related_apps

    Shadowgun (still think tablets are crap?)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.madfingergames.shadowgun_thd&feature=related_apps

    Bard's Tale (hey, isn't this a CONSOLE game...LOL)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inxile.BardTale&feature=related_apps

    ArmA2: Firing Range (not impressive, but this was 2011...LOL)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bistudio.a2fr&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmJpc3R1ZGlvLmEyZnIiXQ..

    Again for Tegra2...
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.slitherine.gbm&feature=also_installed#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwNCwiY29tLnNsaXRoZXJpbmUuZ2JtIl0.

    Renaissance Blood
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Bridea.NC.THD.RenaissanceBlood&feature=related_apps

    Zombie Driver THD
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.exor.ZombieDriver&feature=also_installed#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwNCwiY29tLmV4b3IuWm9tYmllRHJpdmVyIl0.

    Chaos Rings 1 & 2:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.chaosrings2gp&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLnNxdWFyZV9lbml4LmNoYW9zcmluZ3MyZ3AiXQ..
    Please realize it's in english when you buy it...LOL

    Blazing Souls Accelate:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hyperdevbox.blazingsouls&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmh5cGVyZGV2Ym94LmJsYXppbmdzb3VscyJd


    Final Fantasy 3 in 3d (2006 game but on current handhelds)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.FFIII_GP&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLnNxdWFyZV9lbml4LmFuZHJvaWRfZ29vZ2xlcGxheS5GRklJSV9HUCJd

    Amazing Spiderman:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftAMHM&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmdhbWVsb2Z0LmFuZHJvaWQuQU5NUC5HbG9mdEFNSE0iXQ..

    Need for Speed Most Wanted:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ea.games.nfs13_row&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmVhLmdhbWVzLm5mczEzX3JvdyJd

    Asphalt 7
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftA7HM&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmdhbWVsb2Z0LmFuZHJvaWQuQU5NUC5HbG9mdEE3SE0iXQ..

    COD Black Ops Zombie game...Who knew?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atv.blackops&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmF0di5ibGFja29wcyJd
  29. fulle said:
    Or I can just mount PS3 controller to my existing Android device, and have something better...
    Gameklip (20 bucks) + cheap case to mount to (3-5 dollars) = 25 bucks.


    You have an android based phone with a soc that has a better gpu than a T4? Impossible, that doesn't exist yet :) T4 gpu will be tops until S800 ships and that will be a close race in any android tablet and I haven't seen a QCOM optimized game yet like on Tegrazone. They have dozens with more on the way as shield comes out and likely revved yearly. On near equal hardware (and T4 A15's are better cpu wise) for T4 vs. S800 people will take better looking games and pc streaming for like priced products, not to mention vanilla android which most phone makers seem reluctant to do (though google seems to be making headway there). Can your phone stream games from your PC gpu? Does it get 8-10hrs of battery life while gaming or 20+hrs of HD video play on one charge (which I chalk up to 3-4hrs of gaming and some movie watching on one charge without issues)? NOPE to all of those.

    Also while I can jerry rig some AC unit in my room, I'd rather just have a REAL AC unit outside my house :) This doesn't have a phone bill attached either. Some people don't spend $1800-2400 ($75-100 a month right?) every two years on phone contracts :) I still don't have a smart phone because of this. Though I'll probably buy a T4i and sign up for Ting soon. I use less than 500mins/year so this is perfect for me (more like 100-200mins actually).
  30. 3DS: 400 x 240 pixels, 2 GB memory capacity

    PSP Vita: 960 × 544 pixels, no internal memory capacity (proprietary SD cards are available).

    Shield: 1280 x 720 pixels, 16 GBs memory capacity.

    Of course the device is going to be more expensive than the competition, ALL of the specs are massively superior. Plus if you compare it to other Android phones equipped with 720p screens and quad-core CPUs... 300$ off contract really isn't bad. I'd really like to get one, but I think I'd rather wait until next year to see if they come out with a Shield 2.
  31. somebodyspecial said:

    Why? Look at the 14 points I made.

    I LOL'd when I read this. No one pays attention to point lists that long.
    somebodyspecial said:
    Demon Score (square enix)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.demonsgp&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5zcXVhcmVfZW5peC5kZW1vbnNncCJd

    Wild Blood
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftWBHM&feature=related_apps

    Note the unreal engine 3 is just kicking off on mobile, a lot more in the pipe. Also Real Boxing and Hawken (hawken is coming, NV showed it running on T4 already).

    Modern Combat 1-4:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftM4HM&feature=more_from_developer

    Make sure you up the video to 1080p... It rocks. This is PRE-T4. These are made for current crap T3 etc...OLD, some even T2 games below.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftM3HM&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmdhbWVsb2Z0LmFuZHJvaWQuQU5NUC5HbG9mdE0zSE0iXQ..

    Eternity Warriors 2 (1-5mil installs in the last 30 days...wow):
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glu.ewarriors2&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmdsdS5ld2FycmlvcnMyIl0.
    WOW, no, there will be no good games on tablets/phones etc. :)

    Iron Man 3 (impressive to say the least)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftIMHM&feature=related_apps

    Frontline Commando
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glu.flcn_new&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmdsdS5mbGNuX25ldyJd

    Nova 3 (nova 1 & 2 aren't bad either)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftN3HM&feature=more_from_developer

    Dark Knight Rises:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftKRHM&feature=more_from_developer

    Gangstar Rio
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftG4HM&feature=related_apps

    Shadowgun (still think tablets are crap?)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.madfingergames.shadowgun_thd&feature=related_apps

    Bard's Tale (hey, isn't this a CONSOLE game...LOL)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inxile.BardTale&feature=related_apps

    ArmA2: Firing Range (not impressive, but this was 2011...LOL)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bistudio.a2fr&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmJpc3R1ZGlvLmEyZnIiXQ..

    Again for Tegra2...
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.slitherine.gbm&feature=also_installed#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwNCwiY29tLnNsaXRoZXJpbmUuZ2JtIl0.

    Renaissance Blood
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Bridea.NC.THD.RenaissanceBlood&feature=related_apps

    Zombie Driver THD
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.exor.ZombieDriver&feature=also_installed#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwNCwiY29tLmV4b3IuWm9tYmllRHJpdmVyIl0.

    Chaos Rings 1 & 2:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.chaosrings2gp&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLnNxdWFyZV9lbml4LmNoYW9zcmluZ3MyZ3AiXQ..
    Please realize it's in english when you buy it...LOL

    Blazing Souls Accelate:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hyperdevbox.blazingsouls&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmh5cGVyZGV2Ym94LmJsYXppbmdzb3VscyJd


    Final Fantasy 3 in 3d (2006 game but on current handhelds)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.FFIII_GP&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLnNxdWFyZV9lbml4LmFuZHJvaWRfZ29vZ2xlcGxheS5GRklJSV9HUCJd

    Amazing Spiderman:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftAMHM&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmdhbWVsb2Z0LmFuZHJvaWQuQU5NUC5HbG9mdEFNSE0iXQ..

    Need for Speed Most Wanted:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ea.games.nfs13_row&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmVhLmdhbWVzLm5mczEzX3JvdyJd

    Asphalt 7
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftA7HM&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmdhbWVsb2Z0LmFuZHJvaWQuQU5NUC5HbG9mdEE3SE0iXQ..

    COD Black Ops Zombie game...Who knew?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atv.blackops&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmF0di5ibGFja29wcyJd


    You don't need to post each and every android game in these shield threads and crap up a thread with a page and a half long list of google play links: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1701312/nvidia-shield-hands-impressions-final-hardware.html#10962040

    At most you can just link to the previous time you posted it, since all you do is copy/paste the same thing.

    Regardless, the games are far from impressive, and citing current games that already play on current phones/tablets is not an encouragement to convincing someone to buy a Shield; all these games already work with current phones and tablets, were designed for touch interfaces (yes, you can use a controller), and you don't need to buy an expensive separate handheld device to play. Shield needs platform-exclusives to make any real sense from a general consumer perspective. I don't know if the streaming capabilities justifies it much.

    And even if T4 is going to be that much more powerful than other available processors (I'm betting it'll be as close as matters to the S600/800), there will be plenty of Tegra4 devices--still no need to buy a shield in order to get a T4 device.
  32. teh_chem said:
    somebodyspecial said:

    Why? Look at the 14 points I made.

    I LOL'd when I read this. No one pays attention to point lists that long.
    somebodyspecial said:
    Demon Score (square enix)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.demonsgp&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5zcXVhcmVfZW5peC5kZW1vbnNncCJd

    Wild Blood
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftWBHM&feature=related_apps

    Note the unreal engine 3 is just kicking off on mobile, a lot more in the pipe. Also Real Boxing and Hawken (hawken is coming, NV showed it running on T4 already).

    Modern Combat 1-4:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftM4HM&feature=more_from_developer

    Make sure you up the video to 1080p... It rocks. This is PRE-T4. These are made for current crap T3 etc...OLD, some even T2 games below.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftM3HM&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmdhbWVsb2Z0LmFuZHJvaWQuQU5NUC5HbG9mdE0zSE0iXQ..

    Eternity Warriors 2 (1-5mil installs in the last 30 days...wow):
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glu.ewarriors2&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmdsdS5ld2FycmlvcnMyIl0.
    WOW, no, there will be no good games on tablets/phones etc. :)

    Iron Man 3 (impressive to say the least)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftIMHM&feature=related_apps

    Frontline Commando
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glu.flcn_new&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmdsdS5mbGNuX25ldyJd

    Nova 3 (nova 1 & 2 aren't bad either)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftN3HM&feature=more_from_developer

    Dark Knight Rises:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftKRHM&feature=more_from_developer

    Gangstar Rio
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftG4HM&feature=related_apps

    Shadowgun (still think tablets are crap?)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.madfingergames.shadowgun_thd&feature=related_apps

    Bard's Tale (hey, isn't this a CONSOLE game...LOL)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inxile.BardTale&feature=related_apps

    ArmA2: Firing Range (not impressive, but this was 2011...LOL)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bistudio.a2fr&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmJpc3R1ZGlvLmEyZnIiXQ..

    Again for Tegra2...
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.slitherine.gbm&feature=also_installed#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwNCwiY29tLnNsaXRoZXJpbmUuZ2JtIl0.

    Renaissance Blood
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Bridea.NC.THD.RenaissanceBlood&feature=related_apps

    Zombie Driver THD
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.exor.ZombieDriver&feature=also_installed#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwNCwiY29tLmV4b3IuWm9tYmllRHJpdmVyIl0.

    Chaos Rings 1 & 2:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.chaosrings2gp&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLnNxdWFyZV9lbml4LmNoYW9zcmluZ3MyZ3AiXQ..
    Please realize it's in english when you buy it...LOL

    Blazing Souls Accelate:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hyperdevbox.blazingsouls&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmh5cGVyZGV2Ym94LmJsYXppbmdzb3VscyJd


    Final Fantasy 3 in 3d (2006 game but on current handhelds)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.FFIII_GP&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLnNxdWFyZV9lbml4LmFuZHJvaWRfZ29vZ2xlcGxheS5GRklJSV9HUCJd

    Amazing Spiderman:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftAMHM&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmdhbWVsb2Z0LmFuZHJvaWQuQU5NUC5HbG9mdEFNSE0iXQ..

    Need for Speed Most Wanted:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ea.games.nfs13_row&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmVhLmdhbWVzLm5mczEzX3JvdyJd

    Asphalt 7
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftA7HM&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmdhbWVsb2Z0LmFuZHJvaWQuQU5NUC5HbG9mdEE3SE0iXQ..

    COD Black Ops Zombie game...Who knew?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atv.blackops&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmF0di5ibGFja29wcyJd


    You don't need to post each and every android game in these shield threads and crap up a thread with a page and a half long list of google play links: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1701312/nvidia-shield-hands-impressions-final-hardware.html#10962040

    At most you can just link to the previous time you posted it, since all you do is copy/paste the same thing.

    Regardless, the games are far from impressive, and citing current games that already play on current phones/tablets is not an encouragement to convincing someone to buy a Shield; all these games already work with current phones and tablets, were designed for touch interfaces (yes, you can use a controller), and you don't need to buy an expensive separate handheld device to play. Shield needs platform-exclusives to make any real sense from a general consumer perspective. I don't know if the streaming capabilities justifies it much.

    And even if T4 is going to be that much more powerful than other available processors (I'm betting it'll be as close as matters to the S600/800), there will be plenty of Tegra4 devices--still no need to buy a shield in order to get a T4 device.


    console certainly needs that as one of their primary attraction. but nvidia did not really meant to enter console war for dedicated handheld console like Vita and 3DS.

    Quote:
    “The reception has been great,” said Huang. “If we sell some, that’s fantastic as well, but it’s not the fundamental purpose. The fundamental purpose is to get great games on Android on Tegra.


    source: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-06-12/nvidia-ceo-sees-sales-of-chips-for-cars-increasing-to-1-billion

    i think even nvidia knows it will be stupid to compete directly with the Giant Handheld console like Sony or Nintendo. so the shield is most likely a technology showcase what T4 capable of especiallygraphically. some other features like that pc game stream thingy they can relate to their other tech like Geforce GRID.
  33. teh_chem said:
    somebodyspecial said:

    Why? Look at the 14 points I made.

    I LOL'd when I read this. No one pays attention to point lists that long.

    You don't need to post each and every android game in these shield threads and crap up a thread with a page and a half long list of google play links: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1701312/nvidia-shield-hands-impressions-final-hardware.html#10962040

    At most you can just link to the previous time you posted it, since all you do is copy/paste the same thing.

    Regardless, the games are far from impressive, and citing current games that already play on current phones/tablets is not an encouragement to convincing someone to buy a Shield; all these games already work with current phones and tablets, were designed for touch interfaces (yes, you can use a controller), and you don't need to buy an expensive separate handheld device to play. Shield needs platform-exclusives to make any real sense from a general consumer perspective. I don't know if the streaming capabilities justifies it much.

    And even if T4 is going to be that much more powerful than other available processors (I'm betting it'll be as close as matters to the S600/800), there will be plenty of Tegra4 devices--still no need to buy a shield in order to get a T4 device.


    Don't really care about what you think about posting games when people like you still think they suck, and BTW that is a SHORT LIST there are THOUSANDS of them. You clearly didn't look at them. Some of the games on android are the exact games on the handhelds; need for speed most wanted etc and cost $31 MORE on Vita ($36!) vs. $5 on android
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=79-200-876&Tpk=need%20for%20speed%20vita&IsVirtualParent=1
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ea.games.nfs13_na&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5lYS5nYW1lcy5uZnMxM19uYSJd
    Note it was $16 2 weeks ago when I looked, guess it dropped on android...See the point? Look at the reviews and downloads, people like the android one correct?

    My list is far from exhaustive, it's just what I would most like to play. I'll continue to post those as long as people like you still claim one of two things: android gaming sucks still, or Vita/3DS is better...LOL. It's mostly just to see if anyone has a reason to say VITA/3DS is better. I haven't received a real response yet. Many people don't read EVERY day here, so no harm, and you can scroll down it's a free country... :) I won't be offended :)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftF3HM&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmdhbWVsb2Z0LmFuZHJvaWQuQU5NUC5HbG9mdEYzSE0iXQ..
    I didn't list any sports games, they have madden, fifa, nba, soccer etc 2012/2013's, even gameloft has one. Don't' tell me all these games suck. The prices pay for any device's over-expense quickly. All of these games have consoles quality graphics. You need to spend some time on googleplay I guess watching videos of these games. They are impressive and reviews say highly entertaining.

    You ignore the points, but I post them to see the argument against them. I guess you have none. I LOL when you responded with NOTHING which is typical of people who have no argument :) I LOL again when you said the games are far from impressive...Correction, I ROFL. I guess you haven't seen the hawken demo (and others coming). I don't think that game will make it to Vita or 3DS. Far too much will need to be hacked out due to lack of power I'd guess.

    http://kotaku.com/1437637
    But then Kotaku says Hawken is TEGRA exclusive :) Nah, android sucks. FYI I post those games in threads OTHER than Shield threads (wikipad, gamepop etc android threads basically). I post them in threads where people say ANDROID gaming sucks or as you said are "far from impressive". I shouldn't have hacked them out of this post's quotes so you'd have to see them again...LOL. Tell your complaint to 60% of the devs (2500 surveyed before GDC 2013) making mobile games instead of the 2% making them for 3DS or 5% making them for Vita...ROFL. Sorry I must disagree as GDC shows what is coming. Based on lifespans of the last gen these will be stuck in stone for a few more years and mobile will rev 3 more times before then with at least 2 die shrinks in them (20nm before end of year (s800 etc, T5 June2014 etc) and 2015/2016 will be mass 14/16nm from all fabs (T6/S1000's? whatever qcom names it 2 revs from now, exynos 7? Rogue7 etc etc etc). I don't expect another next gen handheld from sony or nintendo (but whatever). The lowest rung phone in 1 year will be more powerful than Vita and absolutely put 3DS to shame. T4 already puts 3DS to shame (if not vita too). T4i is aimed at $100-200 phones (cheapo tablets too?) so you could make that argument by end of this year I'd say as T4i is already FAR more powerful than both. They will be facing T5i etc next year. This will be a ridiculous conversation in 12 months as devs put out even BETTER games.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/28/gdc-2013-survey-marks-rise-of-the-indies-low-wii-u-support/
    Guess you still don't get it ;)
    http://allthingsd.com/20130325/a-look-ahead-at-gdc-its-mobile-vs-consoles-in-fight-for-game-developers-attention/
    The survey is in that link. :) That survey pretty much says it all :) Consoles are dead or dying, and handhelds are already dead vs. mobile.

    Also to get a T4 device you will pay over $300 alone or have to sign up for a 2yr contract which handhelds don't do, which kind of nullifies your whole argument to me. If I want to game and have portable movies I may not want to spend $1800-2400 for a 2yr contract to do it (assuming $75-100/month for 24 months). Also I don't see a T4 tablet coming in at under $400 (maybe 4i not T4) as it's a high end device, same for phones (it's aimed at SUPERphones, not junkers like T4i). So again incorrect. Who buys a smartphone to NOT use as a phone, but instead for games/movies?

    Your comments don't make sense unless you think there will be a T4 device for under $300 with no contract. Let me know when it's announced :) Only shield streams PC stuff so far also (name another T4 device that does this - oh wait there are none out yet :)). FYI S600 is stomped by T4 in tablets (no contest on cpu or gpu-pcmag said it DESTROYS S600, MPR says the same even says beats S800), we'll have to see in a superphone due to power constraints they may be equal. I think S800 will be beat in cpu in any tablet, and gpu will be beat at tablets above 1920x1200 (anandtech shows the losses and discussed it, though 1920x1200/1080p seem great - but we'll see with REAL games). I don't NEED to buy any toys. But a lot of us like new ones periodically anyway :) For anyone looking at a handheld these are a no brainer if not for current games then for the future games like hawken etc.
Ask a new question

Read More

Peripherals Gaming Tablets Nvidia