i7-950 Extremely high Idle Temps - Undervolted

Kraznevil

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
At the moment, i'm gaming on a friend's rig and i've noticed that the idle/load temps are very high on an h80. The i7-950 is under clocked and undervolted to around 3.0ghz and .983v and it is running at 45-55c on idle, above 80c while playing Battlefield 3 on a Gtx 560 Ti. Like I said before, the processor is running on liquid (I.E. H80) and it shouldn't be nearing those temperatures at the speed it is. Dust does not play a factor as it has been cleaned as well.

Iceberger

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
I have the same thing over here, my room temp is around 21,5 Celcius and my I7-950 runs at 39-44 degrees Celcius idle (non-oc). re-applied the thermal paste sometimes but almost no difference.

In game it is around 55-62 Celcius highest, and full stock load (prime95) it reaches 66-70c. I have read more stories about 950's running hot, as long as it stays under that 70 line you are good.
I suggest you to test another cooler (stock one) to see if it makes any difference, maybe your cooler is not working properly.

Ps. I also mounted my old CM Plus 212 fan on my gf's 3770 i7 with the same amount of thermal paste (arctic5) and it runs smooth in 20's idle. Though I know the 9xx series run a bit hotter, I still think it runs hotter than it should.

My 950 is occupied with a CM Seidon 120M cooler and a 200mm CM Megaflow above it. I guess it's a monday project cpu.

RaptaGzus

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

Try reapplying the thermal paste but make sure to clean the CPU and block thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol or methylated spirits or something with a high alcohol count so that it evaporates quickly. When you apply the thermal paste do a small line but do 2 in a + type of style, the pea method can be sued but this is pretty much the same thing just you can eyeball it easier, make sure the line is not too thick, the uncooked grain of rice thickness is fine. Make sure the inlet and outlet on the radiator and CPU block are not on the top (so left side, right side, or on the bottom side is where the inlet and outlet should be). Then make sure that the fan is plugged into the 4 pin CPU header and that the pump is plugged into a 3 pin connector somewhere on the board so that the fan speed is regulated (unless you have it set to run at max) and so that the pump is operating at 100% at all times. Make sure to check for rattling, and if it doesn't go away after a couple of days then contact Corsair about it. Also, make sure that you are pulling air in from the outside so that the radiator can have the coolest air possible. Hopefully that should help with the temps because they are running way too high. I have a 950 too and I recently bought and installed a Seidon 120V on stock my temps are like yours on idle 45-50C and on load with prime95 they don't surpass 70C. I wanted to overclock and I was offered the 120XL which is pretty much an H80 just rebranded as that's what's the most common buy for a high end CPU is so your temps should not be as high as they are. Try this and like I said if your temps don't go any lower then there's a problem, or if they exceed 80C, make sure you screw everything down correctly too, and if nothing changes or temps aren't as low as expected contact Corsair.

Hope this helped :)