Sign in with
Your question

Help for my NZXT Phantom 410 Case Cooling

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2013 11:59:14 AM

Hello all,

I've been having some temp issues lately and I guess it took me this long to figure out why. I've attached some pictures here to show you my cooling setup and the direction of airflow. The main issue is that for where my cases is setup I cannot do the traditional airflow of letting cool air through the front and hot air through the back and up because of the clearance issue I have with my keyboard slide out. I could move my entire desk to another part of the rooms and but the computer on the ground to allow full clearance but that would be a huge hassle and I kind of like where my desk is now.

Also I have a Corsair H50 "water-cooler" and I've read it is best to make this as intake so I have it as such right now. I have two top fans, one by the H50 is 120mm and the other is 140mm. The H50 fan is 120mm and my front fan is 120mm as well . I want to change the top fans to take in air and the front fan to push air out through the front but I've read that that is basically against physics, as I would be pushing hot air down instead of up since hot air rises and I would like to have physics on my side :) 

With the pics and the info provided can someone help me out on what I should do? I wish I had a different desk but I guess I prioritized computer parts over furniture haha

Current AirFlow

My Clearance from my keyboard (the hot air has nowhere to go). Red Line shows where the top of my case would be
June 20, 2013 12:53:30 PM

To be honest, I don't really understand what you're asking. If the problem is with your desk, we can't really do anything to solve it.

I really think the H50 fan should be expelling air, but that's my opinion.

My only advice would be to either modify the desk, or add in a side panel fan (Maybe remove one from the top)
June 20, 2013 1:57:32 PM

mastrom101 said:
To be honest, I don't really understand what you're asking. If the problem is with your desk, we can't really do anything to solve it.

I really think the H50 fan should be expelling air, but that's my opinion.

My only advice would be to either modify the desk, or add in a side panel fan (Maybe remove one from the top)

All I'm asking is which way should I position my case fans and H50 fan to maximize airflow.
Usually you expel the hot air out the top of the case but my keyboard slide-out is only a few inches above the top of my case and the hot air gets trapped there and enters back into the case.

Just asking for advice
Related resources
June 20, 2013 8:19:21 PM

In that case, only put one output fan on top of the case, and move one of them to the side panel as an intake. Also, swap the H50 to an output fan.

Tell me if that helps.
June 20, 2013 8:44:04 PM

I actually ended up moving my desk lol. So I put my rig on a different table since my desk is not big enough and not has much more room to breath. I kept the airflow configuration though. Since I now have room up top should I still keep my current airflow settings?
June 20, 2013 8:55:11 PM

I would still rearrange the H%) so that it's an output. Not sure where you read it should be facing inwards but as it is right now the air is colliding rather than flowing.
June 20, 2013 9:58:11 PM

Corsair recommends to use it as an intake system, as well as almost all of the other forums and threads I have read on it.
June 21, 2013 7:34:42 AM

From an airflow perspective it just doesn't make sense, but if you've done the research than keep it that way.
June 21, 2013 7:34:42 AM

From an airflow perspective it just doesn't make sense, but if you've done the research than keep it that way.
June 23, 2013 11:19:25 AM

I'm going to change it around when I get another fan for it so I can get a better push-pull flow going on.

Thanks
June 23, 2013 6:26:35 PM

No problem. Tell me how it goes and if you need more help, don't hesitate to ask.
June 23, 2013 7:48:19 PM

Thanks a lot mastrom101,

Also I've posted another thread in the CPU section if you at all could help with that problem that would be amazing
June 30, 2013 8:32:34 AM

I have the same exact case. How about this: have the liquid cooler exhaust rather than intake, move that hard drive down to the bottom and take out that unused hard drive cage which im sure you know is removable, if you dont want to do that, take advantage of the fact that it has an additional 120/140mm fan bracket on the inside of it (which can also pivot like 90 degrees, its pretty sweet), throw a big 140 fan on that side panel, the one with the grill just below the window, power supply fan facing down 2 120mm fans in the front pulling in, 1 on the bottom in front of the power supply pushing in (put a dust screen on it, theres a spot for that underneath) rear upper fan pushing out, both upper fans also pushing out. Then move your computer accordingly, underneath the desk is fine, on the carpet is fine (hence why i mentioned the dust screen), not having much clearance between the desk and the exhausting upper fans is fine (its not like the tailpipe of your Toyota), and your good to go. If you thinking...too many fans pulling air in, not enough pushing it out. Well, this is where it gets fun, I love this case by the way, for the top two spots, you can mount either a 120 or 140 mm fan in either or both positions. What I choose to do that really helped, after alot of tinkering and thinking, I was able to mount 2 fans in each position using a combination of flat-headed rubber mounts and regular screws and each spot has a 120 mm and a 140 mm fan, that is 4 fans on the top, back to back, so to speak. Both pushing the same direction so that the lower fan pushes its air directly into the upper fan which pushes it even faster out the top of the case. Im telling you it is like a hurricane inside there. But seriously, get yourself a whole bunch of big fans, set em up like that and you will never doubt that you decided not to get a liquid cooler. I run my computer for 8-10 hours, and my internal temps have NEVER gone above 45c, on average, they fluctuate between 32c and 39c. Its a great case and its cool and quiet.
!