• Upgrade - there still plenty of life left in that badboy

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Replace - Put that relic to bed once and for all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

scofal

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Ok, well it USED to be a beast back in 2007 when I bought it.

I have an XPS 420

It has a:

• Q6600 (Quad-Core processor)
    4 GB Ram
    Geforce 8800GT with 512 MB Ram
    I've recently added (thanks to a recommendation from this site) an SSD 180GB (even through it's only SATA (1.0?) it really speeded up my system.
    1TB data drive
    and Vista

The PC works well for pretty much everything i need it to do, except that the new microsoft office requires Windows 7 (I need for work related things)

So, being the old sentimental sap that I am, I'm thinking about upgrading the Ram to 8GB and installing Windows 7 (64-bit) on the SSD. (I own a full version of Windows Home premium)

Do you guys think it will breathe a couple more years into this relic or has the time come to bite the bullet, jump on Newegg.com and fire up a new Haswell or Ivybridge system?

Thanks in advance.

It will run fine as is, especially with a 32 bit version.

But if you use the 64 bit version, you should probably bring the RAM up to 8 GB.

The Core 2 series is no slouch, and if it run Vista reasonable well, it will run 7 even better.

scofal

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Ok thanks for the response.

One other quick question. This set-up Q6600 (I believe it has a LGA 775 Mobo.. with Windows 7 64-bit

Will this PC be able to utilize a 4TB HDD? I heard there is some limitations on older machines, but I wasn't sure if it was a hardware or a software limitation (i.e maybe win 7 could handle 4TB but vista couldn't)

Thanks for any help.

I think it is an operating system limitation, but I am not absolutely certain.
I am pretty sure the XP didn't work right with 4 TB though.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I'd suggest to leave it as Vista, play all those games more suited to it and get a better PC that you can use with Windows 7 x64.
Trying to upgrade this PC will only give you sorrow and sadness and many tears. :(

That means you can run it on a bit less than 2GB and still have 2+GB EXTRA for all the software you are running at a time. Why the hell would he need 8GB????
If he ran Windows 7 32bit he would only need 1GB and if he ran Windows XP 32bit (the best OS for most things in my opinion) he would only need a minimum of 512MB !!!

(to OP: keep in mind all 32bit OS would only use 3GB out of the 4GB you have, but they would still work flawlessly.)
Requiring 2GB doesn't mean it will run well with 2 GB.
In 64 bit mode, pointers and variables are twice as large so everything takes more RAM.

I run a 32 bit OS with 3 GB usable (because of my video card takes 1 GB address space) and I do run out of RAM from time to time.

raiden-kun

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Yes it does.
If it would not "run well" Microsoft would have to create a "recommended requirements" in order to inform the user that 2GB was minimum for running it but it needed more for a better performance, which is not true. Actually, if it really didn't "run well" they would have to adjust the requirements list.

That's true. But your needed RAM is only the sum of the OS requirement + the combination of memory of all the software you might use at the same time. 8GB is something very few people would need.

That seams unusual... Either you:
*Never reboot the PC
*Never close any tabs in the browser
*Have sh*t load of bloatwear installed over the years
*Play games with high RAM demand while the browser is open with multiple tabs
*Or a combination of the above

3GB should be more than enough for most people.
Also, a fresh OS install and OS optimizing software like nLite rids you of bloat, loweres RAM usage and improves speed.

Yes it does.
If it would not "run well" Microsoft would have to create a "recommended requirements" in order to inform the user that 2GB was minimum for running it but it needed more for a better performance, which is not true. Actually, if it really didn't "run well" they would have to adjust the requirements list.
Not really. For example: Windows Vista 32 bit official requires 512 MB.
I have run Vista on 512 MB and it runs like total garbage. It takes about that at IDLE and opening anything would cause severe swapping.

That seams unusual... Either you:
*Never reboot the PC
*Never close any tabs in the browser
*Have sh*t load of bloatwear installed over the years
*Play games with high RAM demand while the browser is open with multiple tabs
*Or a combination of the above

3GB should be more than enough for most people.
Also, a fresh OS install and OS optimizing software like nLite rids you of bloat, loweres RAM usage and improves speed.
I do tend to run with alot of browser tabs open. I have 68 open right now.

But I will run out of RAM if I run most games with the browser open. I need to remember to close it.

3GB is barely enough nowadays. You can do it, but more would be better.

The reason I haven't upgraded is because I have a 32bit OS and it isn't worth the price to change it to a 64 bit one.

raiden-kun

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

If you've confirmed that yourself then I can't argue with you. I didn't expect Microsoft to leave such a tiny margin. Maybe at the time people mostly had 512MB machines so they didn't want to loose potential costumers:??:

I guess we just zeroed in on how you fill the RAM :)
Most people don't ever have that many tabs open.

I will not endorse getting it for free :whistle:
Personally I prefer 32bit. It has more compatibility.

Man.. you actually know what your talking about, how could you recommend 8GB... All he mentioned he needed was the new MS Office... you only need 8GB for heavy video editing or other unusal stuff.
If only you had put some sense on this thread I wouldn't have gone on my angry rambling :p

Personally I prefer 32bit. It has more compatibility.
Me too actually. I still need to use 16 bit apps now and then.
I know it isn't a popular opinion but 32 bit still has some usefulness.

Maybe it was a bit extreme. But it doesn't hurt to add more RAM if you can afford it.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
If you only need the new Microsoft Office then use the old Office, 2003 or 2007, keep Vista, and use the patch for backward compatibility of anything done with 2010 version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3

I use Vista x32, my ram reads as 3.5gb, my video card is 512mb and I use this computer for internet.
I got other Pc's with Windows 7 x32, Windows 7 x64 but for other purposes.
I find it's better to try to run my games and software apps with the Pc and Os that suits them rather than trying to configure compatibility issues.

raiden-kun

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I'm not a fan of Windows 7 but it is better in pretty much everything than Windows Vista, without a tradeoff. The only reason for your suggestion is to save OP the trouble of a full reinstall.
Also I'm running Office 2010 in Windows XP, why are you suggesting it's not compatible with Vista?
Do you even know what you're talking about?

You're using it wrong.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 have essentially the same software compatibility. And they run on essentially the same hardware.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
He is a bit ruthless...
I don't mind criticism if it is given politely, most of my replies often get a lot of criticism. :/
The main problem with rude replies is that it scares off the OP and others who may have opinions that may not be quite right or even on the right track. We can't really know everything about computers, most of it is guess work and without knowing more about what the OP really has in mind, it's only suggestions that we can proffer.

Honestly I think the worst thing is when people talk pure idiocy and refuse to accept that they're wrong. But this kind of thing is pretty bad too and could do with less of it :)

I hope I wasn't being rude. Not my intent.

The problem is, one member's idiocy is another member's truth based on experience and extensive testing. So we have to tolerate opposite opinions in the same thread. Only civility is enforced.

It wasn't you who was being referred to as a bit ruthless, and rude. There's a post that was deleted for good reason. I prefer not to name names.

Well I did name names. But then I got edited.

And sometimes idiocy is just idiocy. Guy was trying to convince me yesterday that frames/second (GPU discussion) isn't as important as memory bus width. I'm trying to explain to him that bus width contributes to framerate and frames/second is the real world result. Basically I'm trying to explain it's a means to an ends (games aren't benchmarked in bits or MB/s after all) and he just won't accept it. So that's not experience and testing - it's just... I dunno, brain damage? Anyway I digress. Hopefully the one-who-cannot-be-named will either leave or be cool in future.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Well, I get called all sorts of names and criticized severely. My experience spansd over 20 years and, at times, I do actually make judgement errors (due to my age and diminished brain functions lol) so I try to avoid certain subjects for "facts" that may no longer hold truth or just plain wrong.

I do, nowadays, try to just do the basic search for the specs to see if the OP is having the correct hardware and avoid technical information with which I know little about.

The main problem I find is that threads often get hi-jacked and seem to deter replies by the OP when it appears that 2 or more are arguing about facts that have very little or nothing about the actual question at hand.

Sometimes I'm a bit "rude" or silly when I say that the PC will require a PSU to make the PC work, when the PSU spec is missing from the details but that is to keep the thread alive and, perhaps, to give opportunity to other people to see the actually thread before it disappears on to page 2.

The person in Question called me an a******e which really wasn't warranted for the reply I made.

I had another thread whereby another had assumed I had made an error but the actual truth was revealed in the motherboard manual to which he refutedly denied as being an actual issue. The thread is now on page 3 and is still going without any resolution from the "expert". I had stated in the thread that I no longer would continue to give replies considering the issue I had pointed out was considered as irrevelant and the OP and the other continue to try to force the motherboard to accept a ram speed unaccepted by the actual motherboard.

Anyway, perhaps it's time to close this thread, we've hijacked it ourselves to vent our issues with no relevance to the actual Question at hand.

Haha yeah that name-calling was what caused me to report it. I've seen some offensive things on here, but that surprised me! Totally unnecessary. I have been guilty of hijacking threads but only when the question has already been answered and common interests / talkativeness takes the conversation elsewhere. I should try and keep those to PMs :) Still, the rows occupy the same space in the database regardless of where they're stored... :-D And these forums are meant to be a community anyway which I think encourages friendly conversation. It's more than just a technical support service.

raiden-kun

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Hello everyone,
Today I remembered to check if OP had replied.
Seams like you guys got really upset with me... =p

Since my controversial post isn't here anymore, I can't re-read to check if it sounded worse than I remember. I'll just try to address all you guys on this situation, if you care to read:
I don't have a problem with name calling or cursing. In my native tongue cursing sounds horrible and only very uneducated and foul people do it, in english however it's really common and sounds normal. However, in this forum it seams it's not cool. Sorry. I don't keep track which forums are ok and not ok with it and then this happens. My bad. Also the fact that I didn't even justify my name calling is not ok for a civilized forum.

The only thing that upsets me and encourages me to participate when it come to computer discussions is what happened here: people telling other people their perfectly good computers are garbage. It really pisses me off. Everyone advertises their super awesome machine they bought for "playing video games" and it's super ultra cool, and what happens is those snobs will influence other people to make stupid decisions like buying a new PC or buying more RAM because the computer is slow when all it needs is a format+reinstall.
I'm really poor, and I got my current dual-core machine by collecting pieces from failing businesses, friends and in the garbage. And before that I used a very old AMD 1.5Ghz which I was very thankful for. And that AMD is still not in the garbage but being put to good use as POS for a store.
I hope you understand that this waste of money and consumerism that is sometimes promoted on these forums is not ok.

TenPc I remember when I wrote my post I had already written a lot addressing other members, and when at last I was replying to your post, which was the worst one in terms of advice, I was not up for justifying why and just went with an adjective. I really wouldn't regret it, but a couple of posts later you came across as a polite rational guy who just happened not to be an expert. Knowing that now I must say I'm sorry, I should have just justified why you were wrong, at the time I misjudged you for an *******, you really don't seam to be one. If you happen to re-read any of my posts please consider that I was pissed at you and probably came across as arrogant, but I wasn't talking out of my a**, my info was valid, and I'd be happy if you could understand it and agree =)
However, please never advise someone to buy new stuff without knowing for sure what you're talking about.

WyomingKnott (moderator) I have no problem being named. Why did you edit sam_p_lay's post?
Also, I know I broke the rules and I apologize but I'm sure my post had valid information, you could have just edited the naughty parts =p

I really enjoyed this post of yours =)