Personal Economic Stability

Hello THG,

dogman here. I has wondering if you guys have any insight as to creating a surplus of funds for a guy who has 1 year of college education.

Here is my story:

-Work at a min wage job, currently under employed (20 hrs/wk)
-No other job opportunities in my area(very limited)
-Wanting to attend local CC, cannot decide to do full time or part time( due to constraint of cash and time needed to invest in school)
-Cannot afford college, no loans to help(reasson: cannot file as independent even without parent signage)
-Wanted to start a business, but market in my area is limited, otehr areas too saturated.

So basically, I have all the time but no money!

What should I do? If you need further clarification, please let me know!

Thanks!

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Don't forget to look into educational grants and loans. I didn't have to pay a dime up-front for schooling because of loans. Just make sure you get an education is something you like and something in demand. We don't need more Art History Majors.

LoveMyComputer

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Get another part time job if you have the time but not money. And talk to the enrollment office of colleges that you want to attend. I'm in Canada so I know what to expect here. If you're in the US check with the schools. Can your parents help, or at least to co-sign on a loan?

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Did you go to your student loan office and talk to them? Mine was very helpful.

When I went to school, I wasn't able to claim independent because I was still under my mother's health insurance. If I dropped that, I could have gotten a lot of extra grants and loans. Only later did I learn that my uni offered health insurance for dirt cheap, including dental and vision. I should have dropped my mother's insurance, taken up the uni's insurance and gotten the extra loans and grants.. meh. I'm not really a hand-out kind of guy.

Then again, Uni was only $1700/sem. If I wasn't living on my own, it would have been cake to pay out-of-pocket.

jaxst

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
sounds like you are in a tough one, as the others have said, educate yourself on the loan/grant system, usually the people that take advantage of this wonderful system are the people who don't really need it, so find what you can and apply to everything, even if it's $100 dollar grant, apply, every penny counts. the things about jobs when you are younger is it's not about what you know but who you know to some extent. try to network with other individuals and find employment opportunities, also CC usually offer employment, mostly low hours but they usually pay above minimum wage. there is always opportunity for work, just look at your surroundings and you will find something be creative and a diligent worker and you will get through this. even something as simple as picking up sticks from someone's yard, shoveling snow, cutting grass, i did all of these things before i got where i was, i started at the lowest level at a company i worked for, i was sweeping floors and cleaning a factory for 7.40 an hour, talked with the engineers there and they helped me out, within a year i got moved up to electrician apprentice, started making 12-15 an hour, within another year i moved up to class 3 machine tool electrician because i learned more than my teacher knew, now i am 20 and make anywhere from 18-20 an hour depending on the project, you just have to be patient and willing to network with others, befriend as many people as possible. i am in college now and i wouldn't be here unless i met the people i did, it all started with just a simple handshake and name introduction, a little prayer and some help from the man above. now the same company wants me to move me into their office after they found out i am going to school for accounting. opportunity is always there, but most people are too blind and just watch it pass by.