Fake FBI Virus has PC locked down...help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

morgan7624

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
my son was using my Win 7 Alienware PC and now it has the fake fbi virus requesting money to unlock. I know I should be able to start in Safe mode and remove but the pc won't let me. I keep tapping F8 but it does nothing until i let it go. then it just boots to the lock screen. I also tried putting kapersky rescue disck 10 on usb but the pc isn't booting of usb. any suggestions?? Thanks, Eric

morgan7624

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

I tried but it won't boot from CD or USB.

bquick

Honorable
May 23, 2013
I've removed this one several times actually. Combofix will be able to remove this, but even if you get into safe mode you will still get the fake fbi virus to cover your whole screen. I highly suggest using hirens rescue cd and then run combofix. You said you can't boot from cd or usb make sure you go into BIOS and check your boot options.

To workaround this select Safe Mode with Command prompt and at the prompt, type
net user /new fred fred2013
then hit Enter. Restart into Normal Mode and choose Fred from the login screen and use the password fred2013 to allow yourself access. In Control Panel>User Accounts, give the fred account administrative privileges, using your password when prompted.

Download and run ComboFix (being careful to ensure that is what you're downloading - it's full of traps) and hopefully, it will deal with this threat. Before restarting after the CF log appears, bring up the Open box and type
combofix /uninstall
and press Enter. It will appear to be installing but is actually uninstalling. restart after all that and run your own AV to clear up.

Status
Not open for further replies.