Sign in with
Your question

Computer crash when playing high graphics games.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 20, 2013 5:24:47 PM

My Parts:
-Intel BOXDX79TO LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL
-MSI N660TI PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
-Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
-Windows 7 Home Premium OS

So as you can see I have more than a sufficient amount of ram, a relatively powerful Graphics card, and a decent processor. The games I run are Borderlands 2 and Guild Wars 2, not exactly REALLY high graphics requirements and often I'm running them on medium graphics to avoid crashes. It however always seems to crash and is never consistent. Usually during a low in the actions performed in the games the entire computer will go black, sometimes making a really loud noise from the speakers, and restart. Windows 7 comes back as recovering from a blue screen error.

Solutions attempted:
-Took the Ram out and put it back in
-Tried running each ram individually and crashed each time
-Updated drivers several times and tried older driver versions for each part with several combinations
-Monitored RAM usage on task manager and hits on average about 35-40% when the game is running
-Monitored CPU on task manager runs at about 30% usage and frequency at 100% sometimes dropping slightly above or below those percentages.
-On touch only certain parts of the graphics card felt hot to the touch, and even took it out and put it back in.

Additional notes:
-Using case/overall cooling component: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition RC-932-KKN3-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Blue LED Fans-1x 230mm front fan, 1x 230mm top fan, 1x 230mm side fan, and 1x 140mm rear fan as the case/overall cooling component
-CPU Cooling fan: Rosewill ROCC-12001 AIOLOS 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Core i7

I'm looking for other things I should look into hardware or software wise that could be the issue here causing my computer to crash no matter how much I lower the graphics settings on these games. Sorry if it's TMI to resolve the issue but I'm not an expert and don't know what would be needed as information
June 20, 2013 10:53:22 PM

Okay sorry all your info wasnt in original post in any case POWER SUPPLY...
But sounds like your having either a heat issue or a power supply issue I'm assuming you put the pc together did you use good thermal paste??
What kinda power supply did you get and lastly have you checked the ram for compatibility with the motherboard and Cpu??
June 21, 2013 8:31:06 AM

imconfsdru said:
Okay sorry all your info wasnt in original post in any case POWER SUPPLY...
But sounds like your having either a heat issue or a power supply issue I'm assuming you put the pc together did you use good thermal paste??
What kinda power supply did you get and lastly have you checked the ram for compatibility with the motherboard and Cpu??

Power Supply: Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B 850W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM

Yes I did build it myself, first time :D  of course I went in with some help. I was told that the compatibility between the ram, motherboard, and CPU was good for XXX reasons, lucky for me I am forgetting some of the things I was taught and I can't remember those reasons, but I will try to look into compatibility between the ram/MB/CPU again, maybe that would be the issue but if you can come up with something that is more likely the issue I'll be looking at this often. Hoping to get this fixed sooner than later.

Looked into compatibility, the ram is "designed for intel LGA 2011 systems". Which would mean compatibility doesn't seem to be the issue.
!