frames-per-second / polygon question

Can a PC with an equal CPU make up for a 10-15% inferior GPU compared to another PC in terms of FPS/

• Total voters

Mr Question

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
I just have a question about CPU performance on games. I've heard that well optimized CPU's can run frames at "much higher rates" and support more polygons than a CPU that doesn't. Is this true, and if it is, can it make up for having a slightly weaker (10-15%) GPU than an opposing machine?

Nope, a CPU's job in gaming to just to figure out all the background things like enemy AI, physics and crunch code. What you see on the screen is entirely up to the GPU.
In a CPU bottlenecked situation, you will see a performance increase by upgrading it. But as long as you have any modern dual core processor (basically a Sandy i3 or better) then in most situations your fine for gaming. The GPU is what really drives up FPS and detail settings.

Its a similar way in how your brain impacts on how fast you run. You need brainpower to a point, but beyond that being super-intelligent isnt going to make you run faster. You need faster legs (GPU).

All the Next-Gen consoles (ignoring the Wii-U) use the same CPU anyway.