First time Build, NO Knowledge on this Subject :(

Kougetsu

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Hi,

I want to build my own PC (my first time), but unfortunately I don't know anything about Computers :(.

Well, I still dared to list the parts I want to have for my new system. It would be nice if someone could give me some feedback as to whether this build actually functions in its entirety.

I want to use my new system for some MMORPG's and some Broswer games. For "normal" games I'll stay with my consoles. (Yes, I know consoles cannot compare to a computer, but I need the feeling of having something in my hands when playing :D)

So here is my intentioned build:

Case: CM Storm Trooper - CoolerMaster
MB: P8Z77-V LX2 - Asus
CPU: i5 46770k - Intel
GPU: GTX 660 - Gigabyte OR HD 7850 - Saphhire
Memory: HyperX Beast (2x4GB) - Kingston
SSD: 256 GB Pro Series - Samsung
Drive: iHOS 104 - LiteOn
P.Sup.: Berlin 630W - Thermaltake.

I have a feeling that this build might be a bit overkill. But as I don't know anything about PC, I'd like to know your opinion as stated above.

Thanks guys :D

fyodor1917

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
So first I'd like to say that I'm no expert and I'm actually on this board for the first time to get help finalizing my first build. However I saw you had no replies so far so I wanted to try and help.

Is there any particular reason you are getting the 4670k? When I looked in to it it didn't seem to have much of an edge on 3570k and uses a lot more energy and costs more. Considering what you use the comp for I don't think you will notice the difference. I could be wrong though. If you decide to stick with the 4670k you might want to check out newegg because they currently have a combo deal for that processor and motherboard.
I was also going to suggest another motherboard. You can probably find something a little cheaper with the same or more features and a better rating.
lastly have you considered buying a regular hard drive for storage? You could either add that to what you have or buy a slightly smaller SSD and use the savings to buy an HDD
The RAM you chose is really fast but people online are saying that you won't see a difference between it and ddr3 1600 under most circumstances. For your purposes I don't think you will see a difference and you could save a good chunk of cash buying something different. I would suggest this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231445 just because people seem to rave about it online and it is on sale. Again, I might not be correct. maybe ddr3 2400 is the right choice for your build but I doubt it.

Lemme know what you think and hopefully someone else with more knowledge will chime in

Kougetsu

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for all the answers.

I'd like to answer the questions in their respective rows.

1.) It's just my subbornness, that doesn't allow me to take the i5 3570k and my stupid, personal, perception of minimum standards. Well, I'd be lying if I say I wasn't influenced by online comments about the "dead chipset" of the Intel iX 3XXX's (Whatever a chipset is^^). Furthermore I do think the system that I chose would be way above my needs (as I have seen budget builds for gameslike Crysis 3, BF3, etc for like 500$), but I don't really know as I have no clue about this technical stuff, at all.

2.) About newegg, today, by chance, I found the website newegg.com. But unfortunately they don't have an international shipping policy. So as I live in germany, believe me, I was really upset... Here in Germany the prices are just over the top.

3.) I've heard that SSD's are way faster than normal hard drives. (In which way, I don't know^^). So as I will mainly play some of those free MMORPG's like Aion or Perfect World, I thought why not take a fast SSD rather than a normal hard drive, as I will not use much memory anyway.

4.) As for the RAM, I don't quite understand the DDR1600 or DDR1800 or whatever all that is. I just wanted a (relatively) cheap, RAM with integrated cooling. Well when I first googl'ed about RAM with nice cooling and such, I found the Dominator Platinum RAM's but when I saw the price for those, I thought there must be something cheaper, so I chose the HyperX Beast, entirely for it's product description^^.

5.) And lastly for the currency, usage, etc... I live in germany so the currency is EURO. Usage will be, playing MMORG's from time to time, some browser games, maybe watching some movies, that's all^^. Other things like mouse, keyboard or monitor I do have, given that my old keyboard and mouse will work with this system^^. But I wanted a system that, if I ever should decide to, is able to play games like Crysis 3, BF3, etc... But for gaming I'd still prefer my consoles for I just need sth. in my hands when playing games like that. A mouse and a keyboard just feels so wrong (for me personally).

fyodor1917

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

Ok well I will not try to convince you to spend less money. If you have plenty of money to spend on this computer then it will just turn out really fast. maybe in the future you will buy games that put that power to use.
The RAM numbers I mentioned are basically jsut how fast it is. When you look at RAM online you will see those numbers. Anythign above 1600 will almost definitely not do you any good but it will cost more.
The SSD is very fast compared to regular hard drive, but what you can do is buy both and just put your operating system (Windows I assume), your games and some programs that you use very often onto the SSD. Everything else you can install on the HDD since not everything will really benefit from being on an SSD. but if you think you will never have more than 240GB of stuff on your PC then there is no need for the hdd and you can always add one later if you need it

Kougetsu

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Oh, sorry if my words implied that I am dead set on this system. Any suggestions to save money are welcome, it just needs to be able to play some MMORPG's without massive laggs when there are like 50 people on the screen :D.

Well, I can still upgrade to a more or less suitable "gaming" PC later, if I ever should decide to play more demanding games, right or is that not possible?

But please leave the case as it is, I just like the looks of it so much :D.

The components for my listed system, were just googled, like "good cpu for gaming", "cool GPU for gaming" "Ram with cooling", etc. I don't know anything about the real stuff^^. Basically that's how a chose my parts :(.

fyodor1917

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

Oh no, I didn't think you were dead set. Do you have a rough budget you could give me? Like how much were you hoping to spend?
The biggest problem here is that I'm not sure what websites are good for ordering parts in Germany. If you give me your budget in Euro then I can convert that to dollars but the parts I see online here might not be the same where you are.

Kougetsu

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
About 500-600€ should be more than enough for those online games, right?

"idealo.de" is a very good price comparison website. Just put the search item into the search bar and it will list the object, when you click on one of those offers it will give you the prices of I think all the websites that sell it online.

But well, should you decide to take a glimpse at that website, you may see the price differences in comparision to north america.

fyodor1917

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

We will be able to make a computer for that price that plays the games you want well, but you will have to make some sacrifices. The parts you have picked will add up to much more than your budget

i will try to navigate that site using google translate lol, but I'm not sure I can get back to you very soon.
How do you plan on assembling this computer?
Also what games exactly are you planning on playing?

fyodor1917

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

OK wow yeah you really don't need a powerful computer for that. Have you built a computer before? Do you have a friend who was going to help you assemble it? Maybe you should just buy a prebuilt pc and used graphics card to save time and effort..

Kougetsu

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
So, basically I just go into the shop, with a printed version of those requirements and ask them, that I need a computer with at least those requirements, or slightly better? That, really would save a lot of effort^^.