Prints only if turned off and on again

hawgndawg

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Only prints if I turn the printer off and on again. I tried calling canon and got a sale spiel from a microsoft guy for their antivirus. I tried running 2 different free antivirus programs and supposedly no problem. Printer is Canon mp 560, using windows 8.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I'm not sure if you got any drivers for Windows 8, there seems to be none on the Canon site.
Operating System PC: Windows Vista SP1 32bit/64bit;XP SP2/SP3;2000 Professional SP4, Mac: OS.X (10.3.9 or later)

Most printers don't work on an Os without the proper drivers, your problem if you have the proper drivers, could be related to a slow spooling process, you have to wait about 90 seconds or so before the print spooler is ready to print.

Only click the print option once, doing it any more times will add print jobs to the list, check if there are any extra print jobs so that you don't end uop with hundreds of pages all of the same.

You can'rt run 2 different anti-virus priograms, they will conflict with each other and may cause delays to the print options.
If you have just added ne ink xcartridges, you have to do a print alignment prior to printing any pages.

here is a link for down load drivers -
http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0100463401.html

hawgndawg

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
I got the computer in Dec and the printer was working fine till the last week or so. I haven't recently changed any print cartridges but have never had a problem in the past when I did. I was running McAffee and when it didn't detect any viruses I tried uninstalling it and put on Avast. When the canon guy started to help me he did something in my run- cdm? that looked like a dos file and at the end it said I had 6000 viruses or something ridiculous. That was when he turned me over to a microsoft guy to sell me an antivirus program. I also ran malware anti malware and didn't find anything.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Don't buy anti-virus unless you are running a business. You don't need to purchase full version anti-virus for home use. Don't get caught up with trial versions either. All you need is only one anti-virus program that is totally free like AVG or Microsoft Essentials. Keep away from Adult sites as well as dating sites and you should be virus free.

It was possibly an updat ethat might have caused the issue.
You should also consider how much free space is on the hdd.
Your PSU might be struggling to keep up with the power output especially if you are printing out more than 250 copies.
Check the ram, it should be at least 4gb.

Usually a restart to get things going seems to infer anunder-powered PSU that is struggling to maintain the capacitor fill, what is your PSU maske and model.

hawgndawg

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
I have no idea. Since this computer is only 6 mo old and was a decent one to start with and has 8 gb ram and 1.8 Tb hard drive I doubt it is having a hard time with the task. I'm usually only printing 1 or 2 pages at a time.