No Video After Unplugging PC

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Well hello there! Been a while Toms people!

Anyways, very weird issue here... When I unplug the power to my PC (to move it, or to do some dusting), I always get no video after plugging back in and booting. I can boot to windows by pushing F(something, forget) and get sound, but no video whatsoever. It is usually fixed after some wishes and a few CMOS clears.

Well, the main reason I'm posting is because now it is doing so while my PC is powered down (still plugged in, PSU switched on so the mobo is getting power) for several hours (about 14hrs).

Not surprised if my mobo battery is dead, haven't tried a new one yet. Though I'm not sure that could cause this issue...

PSU going to shit? Mobo going to shit? It's about 6 years old, though my 4ghz C2Q is still chugging along just fine in games so I haven't upgraded yet. Though might not be too hard-pressed to since Haswell is out and if it's my mobo that is the issue.

I know, it's a weird one...

Thanks guys!

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
You didn't mention if your video card is onboard or not.
I think the problem is the video card. If your system manages to boot and load windows, clearly your motherboard detects the video card and it doesn't have a problem booting and loading everything. Make sure your video card is properly inserted in the pci-ex.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Dedicated video (6950+unlocked shaders). Really hope it's not the video card... :/ Curious how disabling the power to the motherboard would cause the issue if the GPU was bad.

Video card has been reseated in previous occurances with no change to problem.

I have a HDMI cable I can try. A different monitor will be an issue, though this problem seems to be right on queue with unplugging my computer w/ or w/o monitor unplugging.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
That was interesting, got home from work this morning and of course the issue was there.

Cleared CMOS with my button about 4 times, no luck. Did a hard CMOS reset w/ battery/jumper about 3 times, no luck.

So... getting frustrated while my computer was loading I shook the graphics card a little, and the fan sped up... So, I rebooted again while shaking the graphics card and I got video... LOL.

Figuring this is most likely coincidental, however if not... maybe a bad slot? Though I still don't see how cutting the power to the mobo in the past would cause this...

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I don't think is something to do with the fan. Like I said in my previous reply, it's either a problem with the video card or with the motherboard connection. Maybe you can borrow a video card from a friend to try if you have the same problem.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008

I do have VGA onboard video, maybe I'll mess with that. Though it is smelling like possibly a port/connection issue. I do have another PCIE slot, though last time I used it... it felt sticky from an old soda spill lol.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Well, my computer booted up normally this morning. Not sure if it was due to me shaking the GPU lol... Finally have some time off work so I'll try some of the suggested responses.

Thanks again for the replies fellas.