Windows failed to start after GT 610 install problems

MikeOlear

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Ok, so I just got a a GT 610 from newegg. I shut down the computer, unplugged it, put the card in, plugged it back in, and put the VGA cable into the card and... nothing. Then I realized that I hadn't installed the drivers yet and felt rather stupid so I plugged it into the motherboard output.
Nothing.
I could hear the sound of windows starting successfully and what not, but no display. So, I shut the computer down, took the card out, and rebooted.
Now I have a display, but windows wont start! It just loads, and loads, and loads... I tried restarting normally, safe mode, and last known good configuration, but it never works.
How bad did I screw up? I don't have a re-install disk for Windows. Never did.

May want to go into the BIOS and disable the integrated video card/system. Then try booting up with your new GPU again. It's possible your system may not want to boot up with the video card as it's defaulting to the internal video. I know a lot of box systems (like Dell) can have this issue.

You can't install the drivers until you boot into windows with the video card installed to begin with.

What kind of computer is this? Dell, Gateway, etc? And what version of Windows?

How long have you allowed it to "load and load"? Wondering if it's trying to reconfigure itself or if it's really just getting stuck in a loop.

MikeOlear

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

It's a Compaq Pressario sr5710y. I let it load for about 20 mins when just restarting normally. Windows Vista Home premium. (I know I need a new OS anyway)

If Windows won't boot into Safe Mode even you might be stuck in need of a Windows installation disk so you can either run a Repair or format and start fresh.

Might contact Compaq and see if they're willing to provide you with a Recover Disk.

MikeOlear

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
I'll try to get a disk. But so I know what to do when I do get one, how is this supposed to work? What are the steps are involved?

You should be able to simply power up, insert the CD into the drive, and let the system boot up. It should boot off the CD itself. If not you might have to go into the system BIOS to tell it to prioritize the CD for boot up. Windows will load up off the CD and ask if you wish to Repair Windows or Reinstall it from scratch.

If the manufacturer has they own recovery CD it may be a little different.