i5 4670k or FX8350 or lower? Mostly gaming and ordinary usage

Panakamana

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
TL;DR incoming. Sorry to add to the countless topics about this, but I'm stumped.

So I want to build my first PC, primary use would be gaming, then the usual day to day stuff, internet browsing, watching movies, listening to music, and the very occasional photo editing (no video editing, 3d modelling and rendering or anything like that).

The only thing I've bought so far is the GPU, a GTX 660 Ti. I was pretty set on buying an i5 3570k (seeing a lot of people regarding it as the best for gaming) until I read about Haswell coming out, so a 4670k was my next choice, even though I keep reading that it's not that much of an upgrade and the 3570k overclocks better, but since apparently the LGA1155 is now a "dead socket", it would be better to go with the 4670k if you're building from scratch and not upgrading, right?

I then looked at AMD, looks like an FX8350 would be sort of the equivalent (opinions are divided, but the 3570k/4670k are still better for gaming from everything that I've read), it's a bit cheaper, mobo as well, and it would make for a cheaper upgrade down the road, though I don't really know how long they will keep the AM3+ socket. There's also that whole "console games will be optimized for 8 cores" so PC games will also start using more than 2-4 cores, but I don't know how distant is that future (I've also read about AMD's 8 cores not exactly being 8 real cores).

Here's what I want though:
- games that I would play: mostly sandbox games, shooters and racing games. The last "new" game that I've played was the first Left 4 Dead, so there's a lot of catching up to do
- I'm not really a graphics whore, but I do want to play at least current games and let's say at least next year's games at max settings (note: I could live without 16xAA or whatever the highest is)
- I won't be doing any heavy multitasking, just ordinary stuff
- whatever I end up buying, I want to keep it without upgrades for at least 3 to 5 years, I won't mind going to lower game settings as long as the framerate is still smooth.
- I have no idea how to overclock yet, but I am willing to learn how to do it and try it
- my initial budget was about $1000, after reading about parts in general it had to go up a bit, and if I were to go for the i5 4670k I would need about $1350-1400 for everything (except peripherals, so it's actually more than that), and I feel like it's too much.

Mind you, prices where I live are higher than what I see in other countries. I bought the GTX 660 Ti for $325 after a $75 discount (lowest that I could find), that's how high prices are here. The usual prices in my country (for a good rig, but this is coming from a newbie) are as follows:

- i5 4670k - $300 (lowest)
- Z87 mobo - $250 (there are cheaper variants, not sure which one to go for)
- 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - $85 (lowest)
- 1TB HDD - $80 (lowest)
- 620-650W PSU - $145 (could probably go lower, still haven't decided on a brand and model)
- aftermarket cooler - $45 (if 212 Evo is good enough)
- case - $130 (could probably go $10-20 lower, haven't decided on a model)
- no SSD as you can see, don't feel the need of getting one

An FX8350 is $260, I'm not sure which mobo to choose for it, it should be around $150. That's already $150 less than going with Intel. If I go even lower, to let's say an FX6350, CPU + mobo would cost around $270. That's less than half of the Intel CPU + mobo.

I know you can't exactly "future proof", but which is better, buying something pretty good but expensive now, and hoping to last for as long as possible without upgrading, or go cheaper and upgrade every two years or so?

I would personally purchase the i5-4670k and a matching Z87 board. I always like to go for newer tech (and considering it's only $40 more than the FX-8350).

On a side note, be sure to get a reliable PSU, not some no-name brand. Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax, Silverstone and Antec are usually the brands I recommend. That being said, you should be fine with a 550-600w PSU. The i5 4670k and 660 Ti won't draw a lot of power :)

Fox_

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Dang, I got excited till I saw the prices were higher in your country. For the power supply I would recommend a Seasonic one, and I agree with mocchan, I would go with the i5-4670K and a matching board, Gigabyte makes good ones. I am doing something similar to you, my first build and choosing between the 3570K, 4670K, and FX-8350 and I have decided I will get the 4670K

I'm not sure on this, but I think AMD will stick with AM3+ for awhile, so if you get a high end AMD board and go with the 8350 you might be good for awhile as far as CPU upgrades. But if you go that way double check.

Also I believe SSDs are worth it, but that's just me maybe.

Panakamana

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Plus two for the 4670k I see. I still have to do my research on motherboards and which features do I actually need, any early recommendations on which brands and models to look at? (For the FX8350 as well, in case I crack and do go the cheaper way).

Going with Intel, is Asus Z87 Pro a good choice? Should I look at variants below that model? (This one's $250).

Going with AMD, I know it should be a 990FX model, but I haven't read much yet, is Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 good enough, or should I go again for the Asus equivalent?

About an SSD, I'm going to keep it in mind as a future upgrade, I really don't want to raise the cost even more for now.

Thanks for your input, guys.

Fox_

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Yeah the Asus 787 Pro looks pretty nice, and as far as the AMD MOBO, when I was considering the FX-8350 I was going to go with the Gigabyte UD3 as-well. So those should be two solid choices.

paladiin

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
If you act fast Newegg has a deal right now where you can get an Intel 4th gen+motherboard for up to a hundred off. I just bought a 4670k and MSI Z87-GD45 for $319 which is just about what youu would spend for an 8350 and a decent motherboard. Definitely swayed my decision when upgrading from an 890FX and 1090T. Keep your eyes open for good deals and they can help your decision.

Panakamana

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Newegg is US only though, right? I'm from Romania, prices suck here. I'm still leaning toward the Intel build, but I'll wait until my next paycheck, and hopefully some good deals (any deal at all really) appear on Intel CPUs and motherboards. Currently the best price that I could find is $535 for an i5 4670k and an Asus Z87 Pro.

Fox_

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Yeah Newegg is US only, I think they might have a Canadian site too but nothing that ships to Europe. Too bad, I'm getting the same thing as paladiin.

Panakamana

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Hey guys, in case you're still around, I'm currently still looking for parts. I went with Intel in the end, what I've bought so far:

- i5 4670k
- Asus Z87 PRO
- GTX 660 Ti
- WD Caviar Blue 1TB

I couldn't find a 212 EVO cooler in my country, found it in a neighboring one, hopefully it's actually in their stock.

I can't decide on a PSU and case. Is a Seasonic S12II-620 too much? Should I go with an OCZ Fatal1ty at 550W? Price difference between them is around $20 or so. Also, should it bother me that they're not modular?

Case wise, I stumbled upon what seemed like a well reviewed case and at a very good price, In Win Buc, but it's too old I guess, can't find it anywhere. Should I go with a HAF model, 922, XM, something like that? They're a bit over what I wanted to spend on a case, but if it's worth it I could go with one of them.

Also, about RAM, I'm still not sure if it's ok to go with 1.65V rated memory, I keep reading different opinions about this, should I go with something at 1.5V just to be sure? Corsair probably?

Thanks!

paladiin

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I just loaded up a HAF XM for my new build and it was a pleasure to work with. I agree with byoingame on the RAM and if you don't plan on sli then the 550w should work fine. For reference my new build (which is similar to yours) is as follows:
Cooler Master HAF XM
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 750w
Intel 4670k
MSI Z87-G45 MB
Hyper 212 Evo with the fans switched to Prolimatech 140mm in push/pull
Gigabyte gtx760 Windforce 3x Rev.2
Corsair Neutron 240gb SSD
2 3tb Hitachi Deskstars in Raid 0
All case fans have also been replaced with quieter but larger cfm fans. It makes no noise or heat. I have my 4670k at 4.6ghz and it sits at 36/42 max

Panakamana

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
I posted a couple of other threads regarding the PSU, case and monitor. About the PSU I'll go with the Seasonic G-550 (the S12II-620 is not Haswell ready apparently). The G.Skill brand is not available in my country, so Ill go with Corsair I guess. Case wise I narrowed it down to two options, the HAF XM and the 690II Advanced USB 3.0, the latter being about $16 cheaper.

For the monitor, still need to look around. I had a few Samsung, Dell, Asus models to choose from. A user recommended a 24" BenQ, but I feel that 24" is too much for me. The Dell U2312H was recommended as well if I want to go with an IPS panel.