Legacy PCI 2.2 33Mhz card

jperkyns

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
I have a proprietary (old) PCI (level 2.2) card which needs a bus speed of 33Mhz and controls a scientific instrument. The old Dell PC that it was in has died. I have tried it in several newer computers and it is very unstable. Can somebody lead me to a PC that will be able to handle this card. Also, if you can suggest a motherboard that will work with the card I can put it together myself. Any help appreciated.

ihog

Distinguished
Well, it's hard to tell without knowing the exact card, so please tell us. It should work with any PCI slot and the correct drivers, but I can't be sure if I don't know the card. Did you install the drivers for it?

jperkyns

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

Yes. It works, it's just very unstable. I have duplicated the software environment as exactly as I can. It needs XP (same level as before), and the drivers are all the same as before. The card interfaces the download of picture data from an electron microscope camera via fiber optic cables which gets dumped to disk. The camera takes a picture every second and sends it to the card. The card works for somewhere between 10 and 100 pictures and then the software freezes. It appears to be a synchronization issue, because the PCI bus on the new motherboard is so much faster. I don't have enough control of motherboard clock speeds on this particular motherboard to set it to what my old computer was running at.

The exact card is the ARC-64 PCI interface card made by Astronomical Research Cameras, Inc.

jperkyns

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

Just added to previous answer. Please see above. You won't find much help on the internet for this card - at least I didn't!