Now that Haswell is out planning a new build mainly for DAW and light gaming

DiverDave

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I've been waiting for Haswell to come out to decide on what to do to upgrade my 6+ year old system. It is an E6400 O/C to 2.7G and has been running well that way for a long time. I am not in any particular hurray to build a system but the current one is getting pretty slow. One of the most CPU intensive things I do is record music with ProTools DAW. It has a lot of plug ins and based on my most recent research it looks like Haswell does help enough for these kinds of applications to make it worth the price. I don't do a lot of gaming but do some and I also would like the next computer to last as long as this one so I do want to have good solid components that will be good for the foreseeable future. I will also likely O/C slightly but not too aggressively, just to take advantage of some boost in performance..

I have this right now

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/18KKy

I'm thinking of trying to slowly pick up parts as deals are available so am looking for any recommendations/concerns about the build. FYI the 16G is to make the computer easily handle the plugins for the DAW which can use up a lot of RAM. If I build this way it could take a few months to gather all the parts. I'd like to keep the budget under $1500

Thanks in advance for your expert commentary

g-unit1111

Titan
Get the Plextor M5S - it's the same price as the Crucial M4 and performs quite a bit better. Alternately consider the ADATA SXG9000. You could also get a slightly higher wattage PSU - maybe 750W if you plan to add a second card later on. But otherwise that build looks good. I say go for it.

DiverDave

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Well I guess my plan is better than I though since I was away for the weekend and had to search to find this answer. Thanks G-unit I don't have any plans for a second card (I'm guessing a second card is for a second monitor?). I don't have room in that case

I'm wondering if the cooler is overkill if I'm not doing any aggressive O/Cing? I picked it because it seems quiet and while recording electric a bit of noise doesn't matter much it might for acoustic. I don't have a problem with my current system though so I'm not really sure how something like the Noctua compares to the Coolmaster EVO which is cheaper and seems to have a lot of good reviews/recommendations

g-unit1111

Titan

You really can't go wrong with a 212 Evo if you plan to do some mild overclocking. The D14 is for serious overclockers and it pretty much beats all but the priciest liquid coolers.

DiverDave

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Thanks Gunit. I don't plan to go crazy with the OCing since it will likely generate more noise if I do anyway even with a better fan...they all have to move air

TRENDING THREADS