Sign in with
Your question

Couple of questions about a new computer.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 21, 2013 3:44:14 PM

Hi folks,

First I should tell you that I know very little about hardware so sorry if I sound like a fool.
Looking to get a above par gaming computer and think I've found what I want.
CPU - Intel CORE i5 3470 Ivy Bridge LGA1155 3.6GHz
Memory - 8GB DDR3
Graphics - GeForce GT610 1GB
PSU - 750W

That looks like it'll cost me 550 euro. I have the option to upgrade the processor to a i7 3770 for 120 euro.

So 2 questions for you fine people,
Would that upgrade make much of a difference and is it worth it?
Also, Would it be worth buying a GTX660 graphics card and to sell the GT610?

Thank you very much!

Edit: Should mention the GTX660 Card I'm looking at is 170 euro.
June 21, 2013 4:12:27 PM

Main difference between the i5 and the i7 is hyper-threading, which is mostly used for video editing, so it's up to you if it's something you will use and if it's worth the 120 euros. Barely any games make use of it as of now, but they may make use of it in the future, but that does not mean you will need hyper-threading.
Also if you're going to game, then definitely get the 660. The 610 will not suffice for pretty much all modern games.
June 21, 2013 4:47:43 PM

timnswede said:
Main difference between the i5 and the i7 is hyper-threading, which is mostly used for video editing, so it's up to you if it's something you will use and if it's worth the 120 euros. Barely any games make use of it as of now, but they may make use of it in the future, but that does not mean you will need hyper-threading.
Also if you're going to game, then definitely get the 660. The 610 will not suffice for pretty much all modern games.

Thanks very much for your quick and helpful reply; I did some reading after posting this and in my opinion (which I doubt is as informed as your own) I totally agree. Can't wait for my first decent gaming computer. On my last computer I would have to scroll away from a battle when playing Age of Empires 3 because the cannon fire would freeze the game ha.
June 21, 2013 5:12:21 PM

munkimagik said:
timnswede said:

Thanks very much for your quick and helpful reply; I did some reading after posting this and in my opinion (which I doubt is as informed as your own) I totally agree. Can't wait for my first decent gaming computer. On my last computer I would have to scroll away from a battle when playing Age of Empires 3 because the cannon fire would freeze the game ha.

No problem.
Haha, that definitely won't happen with your new computer, you'll be able to run most games at high or ultra at 60 FPS.

!