Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Replacing GTX460 Thermal Compound?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
June 21, 2013 5:30:23 PM

First of all, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so I'm sorry if it isn't.

Okay, so I've been having this problem with my computer overheating and it seems like its either the power supply or my graphics card. So, I went to staples a few hours ago to get the Antec Formula 6 Thermal Compound and applied it to my GTX460. So far its just made my gpu's heat go down by 1C and on idle, its on 53C. Even with me just having two tabs open of FF.

My question to you guys here is, did I make a mistake buying the wrong kind of thermal compound? Or do I just have to not run anything that will cause my gpu temp to rise? (league of legends, etc)
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2013 7:59:50 AM

What was your GPU idling at before you messed with it.

IMO air flow is most likely the issue not thermal paste.

And generally in my experience I have only had issues with the CPU over heating; gpus can be ridden up to 100+ *C where as CPUs again in my experience become very unstable at 80+

Can we get pictures of your machine to look at the air flow?

Also do you use any applications like CPUz or GPUz to track temperatures?
June 22, 2013 8:32:04 AM

bobusboy said:
What was your GPU idling at before you messed with it.

IMO air flow is most likely the issue not thermal paste.

And generally in my experience I have only had issues with the CPU over heating; gpus can be ridden up to 100+ *C where as CPUs again in my experience become very unstable at 80+

Can we get pictures of your machine to look at the air flow?

Also do you use any applications like CPUz or GPUz to track temperatures?


It was running at about just one degree above than what it is now. It only really jumps up when I'm gaming.

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

I use CPUID Hardware Monitor.

(Sorry about the smaller mid picture. Its pretty much like the bottom picture, but with just the bottom air vents.)
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2013 3:44:34 PM

IF your gpu is idling at 1*C lower than it was before now that you've applied the 3rd party paste then it's not the GPU. IMO your Ram is shorting or your CPU is likely over heating and the only way to determine this is to enable logging on some kind of software and to see what it hits before crashing.

I've never heard of a PSU over heating; but shorting out is a possiblity; do you have any OC or over volting going on in this system?

PS: I'd need you to open up the side of your case for me to tell you whether you've got adequate cooling or not.
a c 176 K Overclocking
a c 127 U Graphics card
June 22, 2013 8:38:45 PM

Idle temperature is largely dictated by ambient (room) temperature, not too surprised you didnt see any real difference.
I would put airflow as the issue, that case doesnt look very well ventilated. A cheap gaming grade case like a Zalman Z9/Z11 might help with your temps.
June 23, 2013 1:51:17 PM

bobusboy said:
IF your gpu is idling at 1*C lower than it was before now that you've applied the 3rd party paste then it's not the GPU. IMO your Ram is shorting or your CPU is likely over heating and the only way to determine this is to enable logging on some kind of software and to see what it hits before crashing.

I've never heard of a PSU over heating; but shorting out is a possiblity; do you have any OC or over volting going on in this system?

PS: I'd need you to open up the side of your case for me to tell you whether you've got adequate cooling or not.


Sorry about that. I was in a rush the other day and I wasn't able to get home until late last night.

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />


Oh, and I forgot to add this. This is with just me on two tabs, my anti-virus, and drobox running in the background.

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
June 23, 2013 1:53:35 PM

manofchalk said:
Idle temperature is largely dictated by ambient (room) temperature, not too surprised you didnt see any real difference.
I would put airflow as the issue, that case doesnt look very well ventilated. A cheap gaming grade case like a Zalman Z9/Z11 might help with your temps.


Although that case does look cool, I don't think its in my price range right now.
I've found a $40 case and my friend uses it with no problems in heating what-so-ever, so I might be purchasing that.

Btw, thank you guys for the fast replies. Normally I would have to wait a couple days before I get any help. So, thank you.
!