What type of CPU cooler should I get? AIO Liquid cooling vs Air cooling

Dman8846

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
So basically here's what I am working with. I'm going to be putting either an all in one liquid cooler inside of my case or an air cooler to keep my cpu temps low. The only issue is the noise. I already know that water coolers (usually) perform better than their air counterparts but they seem to get a bit loud. I am trying to build a quiet gaming rig inside of the Fractal design define R4 window mid tower case. I don't plan to do any major overclocking with the cpu but I still want reliability and quality.
Here are my options- NZXT Kraken x60 or Be quiet dark rock 2. I know I am comparing two different categories but please just offer me your feedback and what would you do in this situation. If you have any alternatives please let me know also.

If you want an air cooler the coolermaster hyper 212 evo would be the best for low to mid range OC. For closed loop liquid i would recommend the h100i or the thermaltake water 2.0 extreme. For sound the watercoolers would be quieter if the temps are on the lower side. The cooler they get the slower the fans move.

Dman8846

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

So which would you recommend(specifically the product)? Plus in all the videos I saw the Kraken X60 performed better than the H100i. I'm not trying to start an argument but that is just what I observed. Thanks for your reply.

Dman8846

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

Even though its not the most mainstream thing I have seen, it does seem to have decent cooling performance with not too loud noise performance. I think I might go with that. But what about the Be quiet dark rock 2? Is that any good?

Dman8846

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

Thanks for your reply's. I think my question is fully answered.

luder b-

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
I would suggest that you look into Swiftech H220 if $$$ is not the problem... http://bestcpucoolers.com/best-water-cpu-cooling/