Is my Gaming PC as Good as an Xbox One/PS4?

MagusALL

Honorable
May 24, 2013
Now that I have your attention I am throwing this out there...with the specs of the new Xbox One being what they are; 8 core System-on-a-Chip CPU/GPU (1.6ghz), 8gb DDR3 RAM, will my current PC match it or beat it, all things considered at 1080p and 1080p only?

For arguments sake the new PS4 also has a 8 core SoC, also at 1.6ghz, also with 8gb RAM but theirs with GDDR5. I want to get my gaming/home PC up to spec to beat the new Xbox One and PS4 coming out this Fall for all games that will be on both systems, namely FPS's/shooters. I want to circumvent the spending of $500 on a "NextGen" console entirely.

I have an Intel i7-3770k at stock speed (3.5/3.9ghz) with a good cooler.
I have a B75 motherboard from Gigabyte.
I have a GTX 670 2gb FTW from EVGA.
I also have 8gb of G Skill 1600 RAM,
a Sandisk 120gb SSD and a TX750 PSU.

I got the i7 for $230, in the box and specifically wanted to get 4 cores, 8 threads for the simple fact that these new consoles had them as well as current "top-of-the-line" AMD PC CPU's (8 threads or cores, that is, while understanding the difference.) Do you all think this CPU/GPU setup will beat the new consoles coming out or what? I am only going to be playing on a 1920 x 1200 monitor but for arguments sake lets say 1080p. The new Xbox looks too much like my current Xbox 360 and functions too much like the Windows 8 OS to justify getting one. I don't really want a Kinect or a fancy way to use another HDMI cable I just want to be able to build something cheaper (value), better (or as good) that can do more and that has far less limits (like my home built PC duh.) If you are wondering about the B75/i7k combination I plan to upgrade the MB when I feel it is necessary and wouldn't terribly mind trading up to a GTX 770 at that point as well unless this rig is able to hang with the next couple years games at a high level.

Bottom line, what home builds will be running with the NextGen consoles, using today's tech? Thanks for reading.

Dhampire01

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
We can't tell for sure,we don't know about the settings the consoles will play in and we might not be able to do a side by side comparison but you shouldn't worry.You have a great pc and I believe It will perform about let's say 20-25% better than the Xbox one and 10-15% better than the ps4.As I said,wait for the consoles to launch first and you'll compare the graphics by yourself

MagusALL

Honorable
May 24, 2013
Good call on the status being speculative guessing at best. Considering a $230 CPU, $70 MB, $270 GPU and another $100 on PSU I can't bring myself to buy one (XB1.) That's $500 to do so little and my <$800 can do so much! Just wanted to make sure I am on the right track and don't waste any money as I am no expert on either front. This was my second build and I would like my third to be in 2016 sometime :) With those numbers you gave me, I wonder whether a i5-3570k and GTX 660ti could keep pace, just out of curiosity. But you are right the Xbox One will be doing all sorts of other tasks besides gaming and who knows how it will perform yet except what we see from released video etc. Does anyone know whether Xbox Live and Windows Live will be compatible in the next generation? I heard this a while back and never heard about it again (like my ex wife jk)

MagusALL

Honorable
May 24, 2013
What I mean is I heard I would be able to play online versus someone on the Xbox One while I am playing on the PC, like the servers would be the same maybe. While this would be awesome I would bet the keyboard and mouse people would have a clear advantage in COD types.

slamer80

Honorable
May 11, 2013

They already tried that on ps3 and xbox360. It didnt work out very well, the PC had the advantage, no matter what they did to buff the console players.

I dont see it happening.

Dhampire01

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

No this would be impossible