Gaming cyber cafe setup, need urgent help please!!!

derekana

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Hi to all the network pros, i've setup my network with a Motorola SBG6580 modem/gigabits router with a Netgear M4100-50G switch. I've set the switch's ports to about 5-6 mbps down (i use 50/5 mbps TWC Coax connection). However, I just had my soft opening today and all the computer got jammed up when somone's using a p2p download program or downloading a game. This has caused major issue for my business and i need to get it resolved ASAP. However, i've had no luck trying to setup a proper limit bandwidth for each computer to have stable ping on every computers even when someones doing P2P program or downloading a game.

Please please please help me, i've struggled for hours trying to look for solution on google, but i couldn't find a real solution yet, thanks in advance with any kind of tips on how to set things up right, thank you!!!!!

choucove

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
First off you really need a business firewall, not a small home office modem/gateway. I'd recommend configuring bandwidth control on your gateway instead of the switch, as you will have more flexibility usually in a business class router or firewall to control QoS or bandwidth control to groups of computers or all computers based on ports or protocols. This means you can help to limit how p2p traffic will overtake the rest of your traffic by assigning it a lower priority.

That being said, there's only so far you can go with it in a small business environment. Granted, I don't work very often with very complex and very expensive QoS solutions and network systems as you just don't find that in many small businesses. But fine tune control over specific traffic protocols or ports should be done at the gateway instead of the switch. Most affordable options will give you some control and might be able to help some with bandwidth allocation.

Just curious, but why did you decide on a PoE switch for this?

derekana

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

the switch was recommended by a few network pro here on tomshardware. I am not really familiar with network at all =/.

btw, is it possible for you to recommend me a router that will work with the switch i currently have? (preferably has on sale on newegg so i can buy it and pick it up locally) Thank you so much in advance :).

choucove

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Unfortunately I just don't work around enough personally with QoS and bandwidth control to give you a really good recommendation. For firewalls and business routers, I usually use Sonicwall firewalls. I know that these network security appliances have features for QoS and bandwidth control, but just haven't personally used that feature. You may try and contact Dell Sonicwall sales and get some information on what devices they might have that 1) includes the quality control features you are looking for and 2) are priced and sized for your needs.

Problem is that switch is very limited in its ability to limit traffic. It has a very simple traffic shaper that allows you to specify how much traffic can be used as a percentage. Problem is on a gig port setting it to the minimum value of 5% still gives 50m/sec which is more than your ISP.

Not sure what happens if you force the ports to 100m does it then go to 5m. Still 5m is too high since you only have 5m upload speed. What you really need isthe ability to set the upload and download speeds separately.

This switch has many advanced routing features which you will never use but it does not have very basic traffic control. Even the smaller hp procurves or cisco 2960 type switches can do much more advanced traffic processing.