Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

£900 Gaming PC (23rd June 2013)

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Gaming
  • 900
  • Systems
  • pc
Last response: in Systems
June 22, 2013 10:46:40 PM

my friend is looking for a gaming pc as the new consoles have just been announced and we have also just finished with exams and are going onto summer break.
so I just got a new gaming pc and i he is thinking about getting one, so can someone suggest a gaming pc for under £900:

does need windows 8 (he prefers the look of it)
does need a mouse + keyboard (no more than £50 each)
for a case he likes the red phantom 410 which is about £90

i am fairly new to pc's and he is brand new so we wont be overclocking so if you can save some money on a non overclocking cpu and motherboard that would be cool

More about : 900 gaming 23rd june 2013

a c 418 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
June 22, 2013 11:05:27 PM

Well the one thing you have to remember is that a PC is not a console, and a console is not a PC. With that in mind, I went a little over budget but here you go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£179.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£149.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£75.30 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.97 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card (£218.67 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (£96.05 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£63.29 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.19 @ Aria PC)
Total: £939.09
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-23 07:04 BST+0100)

Add whatever keyboard and mouse you want.
June 22, 2013 11:21:03 PM

Ok so I gave you an unlocked (overclockable) CPU and Z87 (overclockable) motherboard because in my experience many people who don't initially want to overclock end up regretting not spending the extra 20ish pounds a few years later when their hardware starts getting obsolete. I can change it back to a b85/h87 mobo and locked CPU if you like...

As far as a keyboard goes you should check out this article as it can offer you more help than me... http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415290,00.asp

Here is your build (sorry it's in dollars but I can't seem to find a way to change it)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/19imp

Please tell me your thoughts and I'll get back to you in the morning (it is 2am in New York where I am)
Related resources
June 22, 2013 11:27:44 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Well the one thing you have to remember is that a PC is not a console, and a console is not a PC. With that in mind, I went a little over budget but here you go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£179.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£149.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£75.30 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.97 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card (£218.67 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (£96.05 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£63.29 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.19 @ Aria PC)
Total: £939.09
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-23 07:04 BST+0100)

Add whatever keyboard and mouse you want.


yeah that seems cool but i think if i save £20 and just get some corsair vengeance it will be in budget :)  or just over

a c 418 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
June 22, 2013 11:33:10 PM

jasher11 said:
g-unit1111 said:
Well the one thing you have to remember is that a PC is not a console, and a console is not a PC. With that in mind, I went a little over budget but here you go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£179.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£149.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£75.30 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.97 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card (£218.67 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (£96.05 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£63.29 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.19 @ Aria PC)
Total: £939.09
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-23 07:04 BST+0100)

Add whatever keyboard and mouse you want.


yeah that seems cool but i think if i save £20 and just get some corsair vengeance it will be in budget :)  or just over



Didn't realize that RAM was so expensive. Try this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£179.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£149.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£53.97 @ Dabs)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.97 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card (£218.67 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (£96.05 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£63.29 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.19 @ Aria PC)
Total: £917.76
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-23 07:32 BST+0100)

a c 418 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
June 22, 2013 11:46:47 PM

King Hackintosh said:
Ok so I gave you an unlocked (overclockable) CPU and Z87 (overclockable) motherboard because in my experience many people who don't initially want to overclock end up regretting not spending the extra 20ish pounds a few years later when their hardware starts getting obsolete. I can change it back to a b85/h87 mobo and locked CPU if you like...

As far as a keyboard goes you should check out this article as it can offer you more help than me... http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415290,00.asp

Here is your build (sorry it's in dollars but I can't seem to find a way to change it)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/19imp

Please tell me your thoughts and I'll get back to you in the morning (it is 2am in New York where I am)


That's a decent setup. The RAM with the tall heat sinks is never a good choice, having a 128GB SSD as your primary storage device is pretty limiting, and I've found 120mm coolers like the H60 to be pretty worthless when the equivalent air fan is always better. Plus the OP is in the UK so those US links will be of little use. And currency conversion puts that build way over budget
a b 4 Gaming
June 23, 2013 2:30:35 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£154.79 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus B85-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£72.82 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£53.97 @ Dabs)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.97 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£331.49 @ Ebuyer)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (£96.05 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£52.98 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.19 @ Aria PC)
Total: £893.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-23 10:30 BST+0100)
June 23, 2013 3:00:15 AM


[/quotemsg]

Didn't realize that RAM was so expensive. Try this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£179.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£149.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£53.97 @ Dabs)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.97 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card (£218.67 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (£96.05 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£63.29 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.19 @ Aria PC)
Total: £917.76
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-23 07:32 BST+0100)

[/quotemsg]

yeah that seems like a cool build, i think i may get a red and black theme so maybe an asus gpu with thr cuII cooler and a msi gaming motherboard if they are any good
June 23, 2013 3:26:40 AM

Marcopolo123 said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£154.79 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus B85-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£72.82 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£53.97 @ Dabs)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.97 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£331.49 @ Ebuyer)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (£96.05 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£52.98 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.19 @ Aria PC)
Total: £893.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-23 10:30 BST+0100)


that seems like quite a decent build. thanks :) 
June 23, 2013 3:29:32 AM

so even though i say im not overclocking, can someone explain chipsets to me for haswell? all i know is z87 is overclocking capable
a c 418 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2013 11:16:36 AM

jasher11 said:

yeah that seems like a cool build, i think i may get a red and black theme so maybe an asus gpu with thr cuII cooler and a msi gaming motherboard if they are any good


I've personally found that building around a color scheme almost never works. Unless you've got like a budget of $7K, It's too limiting in terms of what hardware you're actually able to buy.

Quote:

so even though i say im not overclocking, can someone explain chipsets to me for haswell? all i know is z87 is overclocking capable


Z87 allows access to the multiplier. H87 does not, and B85 is meant for business systems that have a lot of older hardware.
June 23, 2013 1:59:35 PM

g-unit1111 said:
jasher11 said:

yeah that seems like a cool build, i think i may get a red and black theme so maybe an asus gpu with thr cuII cooler and a msi gaming motherboard if they are any good


I've personally found that building around a color scheme almost never works. Unless you've got like a budget of $7K, It's too limiting in terms of what hardware you're actually able to buy.



yeah i completely see where you are coming from but i think maybe a black motherboard whould be easy enough to get, eg asrock so if it red and black it should be fine...maybe anyways he is still deciding on his final budget but if it is over £900 i will keep to the colour theme if not it will be best price/performance :) 

that being said the case is still saying the same unless he has a really small budget

June 23, 2013 2:53:29 PM

I've constructed just two more builds for you to look at:

This one cannot be overclocked but features a GTX 670 video card, so I think that more than makes up for the lack of overclocking capabilities...

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/19umr

This one is done in a black/red color scene right down to the mouse and can be overclocked but costs 1000 pounds

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/19uX7
June 23, 2013 4:32:47 PM

King Hackintosh said:
I've constructed just two more builds for you to look at:

This one cannot be overclocked but features a GTX 670 video card, so I think that more than makes up for the lack of overclocking capabilities...

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/19umr

This one is done in a black/red color scene right down to the mouse and can be overclocked but costs 1000 pounds

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/19uX7


wow, that second one is awesome i think if i wkip the cpu cooler for now maybe in a few months it will more or less be at the estimated budget! thanks
June 23, 2013 4:46:22 PM

Glad I could be of assistance :) 

Please remember to choose a best solution when you open a thread as it really helps out the forum members :) 
June 23, 2013 11:30:09 PM

King Hackintosh said:
Glad I could be of assistance :) 

Please remember to choose a best solution when you open a thread as it really helps out the forum members :) 


i think this was originally a wuestion but it has been moved so i cant choosr a best answer anymore
June 24, 2013 4:21:37 PM

Thank you all so much for the help, my friend and I were able to choose an awesome build which was colour co-ordinated but not overpriced here are main parts

i5-4670k
H80i
MSI Z87-GD65 gaming
2x8gb 1600mhz G-skill Ripjaw X
Asus CUII GTX 670
Phantom 410 (Red)
CX500M Corsair PSU
1tb caviar blue HDD
64gb Crucial M4 SSD

i am helping him build it so if you go onto the pcpartpicker - you may see it up there in a week or so (maybe)
June 24, 2013 4:24:01 PM

jasher11 said:
Thank you all so much for the help, my friend and I were able to choose an awesome build which was colour co-ordinated but not overpriced here are main parts

i5-4670k
H80i
MSI Z87-GD65 gaming
2x8gb 1600mhz G-skill Ripjaw X
Asus CUII GTX 670
Phantom 410 (Red)
CX500M Corsair PSU

i am helping him build it so if you go onto the pcpartpicker - you may see it up there in a week or so (maybe)


Oh great! Please send me the link when it comes up - I'd love to see it!
a b 4 Gaming
June 24, 2013 5:16:05 PM

wonder why you didnt get a gtx 770
June 24, 2013 11:37:32 PM

Marcopolo123 said:
wonder why you didnt get a gtx 770


i did really want to, but the 670 is still a good mid/high end card and the 770 cost quite a bit more
June 30, 2013 2:09:28 AM

King Hackintosh said:
jasher11 said:
Thank you all so much for the help, my friend and I were able to choose an awesome build which was colour co-ordinated but not overpriced here are main parts

i5-4670k
H80i
MSI Z87-GD65 gaming
2x8gb 1600mhz G-skill Ripjaw X
Asus CUII GTX 670
Phantom 410 (Red)
CX500M Corsair PSU

i am helping him build it so if you go onto the pcpartpicker - you may see it up there in a week or so (maybe)


Oh great! Please send me the link when it comes up - I'd love to see it!


it will be up monday evening/tuesday morning :)  i will try get as many photos as possible