Bad MOBO or Video Card?

RodgeDub

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
Ok I could really use some help here. First time builder.
>Gigabyte Ga-x79-UP4 motherboard
>Intel i7-3820 3.6ghz cpu
>Corsair H60 water cooler
>G.Skill ripjaws X (2x8) ram
>Gigabyte Radeon 7950 3Gb GDDR5 video card (returning this for an EVGA Geforce GTX 770)
>Toshiba 500 gb hdd
>LG optical drive
>Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80 plus silver certified atx12v / eps12v PSU (fully modular)

But here's the deal:
I popped in my cpu and attached my h60 to check my parts before putting them in my case. I made sure my cpu 8 pin cord was connected and my 24 pin cable was in place. Attached my ram in the slots according to my motherboard manual and slid in my video card (the 7950). After I plugged in all the power cables and shorted the power pins on the board for a second my psu powered the board and my video card fans, cpu fan and pump, and psu fan all started spinning and working fine, but I didnt hear a POST beep and nothing would display on my moniter. So I unplugged all the stuff and tried it one piece at a time. First just the cpu and heatsink. Continuous beeps for no RAM. Unplugged everything, no power etc. Popped in a stick of ram. Plugged in all the cords again powered on and One 1-second beep followed by two short beeps (no video card). Unplugged all cords again etc... then tried with video card again. No beeps, no display. I've looked around but no one seems to be of any help... Is there a certain way to detect what the problem is? I'm assuming its the Video card but like I said this is my first time building. Can anyone help me understand what the problem could be? And I make sure Im grounded and I also clear BIOS but nothing ever works... not even using a different PCI express port. All cables are inserted the right way and everything.

DjDafiDak

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
did you connect your monitor to ur new gpu and not to ur motherboard?( not disrespecting you, just making sure little mistakes have not been made before moving to other solutions)

RodgeDub

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

Yes, I had a hdmi from the video card to my monitor. I know the monitor works because it works with a prebuilt I have. It just wont display for my current build.

RodgeDub

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

So could the PSU be "halfway" dead? Its fully modular and I tried different PCI express cables and in different slots on the PSU. But all the fans power up and spin.