Sign in with
Your question

Weird temperature readings on Asus Z87 Sabertooth + I7-4770k

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2013 6:05:32 AM

Hey there,

I recently upgraded my system to a I7-4770K + Asus Z87 Sabertooth + Corsair H100i.
I knew that the Haswell CPUs get "warmer" than previous Intel CPUs but when I first ran Prime95 the temperatures in hwinfo pretty much instantly jumped to around 70°C which honestly shocked me quite a bit.
On my previous overclocked i5-2500k I would get around 15°C less.

First I thought that I might have made a mistake while installing the H100i, so I redid everything.
But I am still getting those temperature readings.

Then I checked out the Asus AI Suite stuff and here the temperature is only at around 59°C which is what I would have expected.

Now I am unsure which program to trust. I think I´ve read somewhere that Asus implemented some sort of new temperature measuring type in some of their Z87 boards.

Now, my thoughts are the following: Either Asus is "cheating" on the temperature readings or hwinfo can´t handle the new type of temperature reading Asus did.

What do you think?
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2013 6:42:55 AM

Did you correctly put the thermal paste on?

If on your first install, you messed the paste by taking it out to look if its correctly spread or things like that, then there might be air bubbles that has been formed.

I'm sure you are not a novice, but have you correctly installed the H100i's radiator? Is it pushing air out of the case?

Also, are your temps at stock speed? If not, then you might have a bad chip. The Haswell chips still use the TIM that made the Ivy Bridge CPU run hotter than Sandy Bridge.

Another thing might be HWMonitor. I've heard that its not that reliable anymore. Try using something else like Real Temp.
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2013 7:15:10 AM

Lord_Kitty said:
Did you correctly put the thermal paste on?

If on your first install, you messed the paste by taking it out to look if its correctly spread or things like that, then there might be air bubbles that has been formed.

Might have screwed this up when installing it the first time but not the second time.

Lord_Kitty said:
Is it pushing air out of the case?

Yup.

Lord_Kitty said:

Also, are your temps at stock speed?

Yes. That´s what´s bothering me.

Lord_Kitty said:

Another thing might be HWMonitor. I've heard that its not that reliable anymore. Try using something else like Real Temp.

Same results as hwinfo.

Lord_Kitty said:

If not, then you might have a bad chip. The Haswell chips still use the TIM that made the Ivy Bridge CPU run hotter than Sandy Bridge.

So, you think I should return it?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2013 9:45:13 AM

Som3one said:

So, you think I should return it?

The chances of you having a defective chip is very very slim. I meant bad in the way you cannot overclock properly (high temps/high voltage needed etc...). But you are not overclocking here.

You should check your cooler first. It might be that the pump or radiator are not performing adequately.

If you don't mind having to deal with cleaning thermal paste again and removing your backplate, :(  then you can test the chip with the stock cooler. If the temps improve, then use your warranty on the cooler.

Something less likely to be happening though is that the values in your UEFI has changed. It did happen sometimes in an old motherboard (with a BIOS) I have. Try resetting everything to default. Check that the CPU is running at stock voltages (1.2V).

Your temps are definitely not normal. Around 70°C is the maximum I hit with Prime95 at stock speeds with the stock fan on my 3570K. You should only consider your chip as defective when its the last resort though.
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2013 10:11:29 AM

Lord_Kitty said:

You should check your cooler first. It might be that the pump or radiator are not performing adequately.

If you don't mind having to deal with cleaning thermal paste again and removing your backplate, :(  then you can test the chip with the stock cooler. If the temps improve, then use your warranty on the cooler.

Yeah, was just about to do this anyway.
Well, I was about to do this about 30 minutes ago. But then I thought a complete reinstall of the H100i would come up with something.
It didn´t. :( 

Off to the stock cooler!
Anyone knows what an average temperature for the stock cooler on stock settings under prime would be?

a b à CPUs
June 23, 2013 10:31:40 AM

Stock cooler, hitting 100°C after 3 minutes Prime95.
Which is about 15°C more than I read in 2 different reviews using the stock cooler.

a b à CPUs
June 23, 2013 10:44:35 AM

Som3one said:
Stock cooler, hitting 100°C after 3 minutes Prime95.
Which is about 15°C more than I read in 2 different reviews using the stock cooler.

Now its confirmed, you have a defective chip. That's way to hot for stock voltages. You know what to do then.

I bet its the TIM that's causing the problems. Intel cheap out on this with it being poorly and unevenly applied under the heat spreader. The solution normally would be to remove the heat spreader and apply some high quality thermal paste to it. But you got warranty, use it.
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2013 1:02:06 PM

Yeah, good to know what the problem is.
Unfortunately, this means I have to live without my PC for 6-7 days. :( 

Anyway, thanks for your help. :) 
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2013 1:27:22 AM

Little update: I contacted the shop I bought most of my stuff from.
They adviced me to not include send the CPU and the H100i back but also the motherboard.
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2013 1:32:29 AM

Another update: I sent everything back but they couldn´t a failure. Well, they noticed that I kinda screwed up my motherboard while disassembling and packing everything up. :( 

Anyway, I decided to return the H100i and the CPU and get a new one. Just to make sure. Also, switched over to a Kraken x60 with Noctua fans.
Still hitting 68°C on Prime 95. So, I guess I´ll just have to live with it. :( 

At least, the Kraken was a good idea since I am able to mount it as an front intake which makes it so damn quiet, combined with the Noctuas.
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2013 2:57:58 AM

Som3one said:
Another update: I sent everything back but they couldn´t a failure. Well, they noticed that I kinda screwed up my motherboard while disassembling and packing everything up. :( 

Anyway, I decided to return the H100i and the CPU and get a new one. Just to make sure. Also, switched over to a Kraken x60 with Noctua fans.
Still hitting 68°C on Prime 95. So, I guess I´ll just have to live with it. :( 

At least, the Kraken was a good idea since I am able to mount it as an front intake which makes it so damn quiet, combined with the Noctuas.

68°C isn't bad for Prime95. What's your temperature after a few minutes. Also, what's your idle temps?
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2013 4:02:55 AM

Temperature after a few minutes...of what?

Idle temps are probably around 33°C I guess.
Will have a look at those lateron.
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2013 7:39:52 AM

Som3one said:
Temperature after a few minutes...of what?

Idle temps are probably around 33°C I guess.
Will have a look at those lateron.

...After a few minutes of Prime95... I guess. Its not reaching the 100°C under stress like before, right?
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2013 8:15:32 AM

Well, it only hit the 100°C with the stock cooler which I didn´t try with the new CPU.

But the temperatures pretty much instantly go up to around 66°C when starting Prime.
Funny thing is, with "normal" usage the CPU just gets as hot as my i5-2500k. So I guess the i7-4770k just doesn´t like Prime. O_o
I just wonder how all those reviewers would get those cool temps when using either, the H100i or the stock cooler, and doing a Prime run.
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2013 9:35:33 AM

Som3one said:
Well, it only hit the 100°C with the stock cooler which I didn´t try with the new CPU.

But the temperatures pretty much instantly go up to around 66°C when starting Prime.
Funny thing is, with "normal" usage the CPU just gets as hot as my i5-2500k. So I guess the i7-4770k just doesn´t like Prime. O_o
I just wonder how all those reviewers would get those cool temps when using either, the H100i or the stock cooler, and doing a Prime run.

Me too, I saw reviewers getting good temps with the H100. Hey, have you checked that there's no auto-overclock or an error in the voltages of your CPU?

If everything in your BIOS is normal, maybe its time to start another thread about it because only me trying to help limits your chances of finding the correct solution to a problem that I might not be aware of.

a b à CPUs
July 1, 2013 10:54:34 AM

I came to the conclusion that there actually isn´t anything wrong.
I mean, those reviewers are basically the only people getting such good temps.
July 8, 2013 3:12:06 AM

Hi Re. 4770k

I am too getting poor heat results all stock bios settings.....

tested with intel burn test which i have to stop short......

1st stock cooler 103c in less than 10 secs
2nd be quiet shadow pro sr1 up to 100c around 10 to 15 secs
3rd corsair h80i between 90c to 95c again around 10 to 15 secs

At the moment i am having to disable hyper threading and under volt the cpu to keep my temps down which is a joke ......

Surely this can not be right ...paying over £270 for this from intel i feel some what ripped off

July 17, 2013 2:05:10 AM

When you install the H100i on the Z87 motherboard you will find that it needs some modifications in order to fit correctly. The back plate in the shape of an X and has posts in each corner of the plate which are suppose to stick up through the 4-holes in the mobo. However, the posts are too long so instead of being flush with the surface of the mobo the posts stick too far through the mobo. Hence, when you screw on the retaining bolts that hold the back plate into place you will find that the back plate is still somewhat loose. If this if left loose the cooler pump (when fitted in place) will appear to be in place tightly but in reality it will not be making a solid contact with the CPU. To fix this, remove the back plate, then slide off the washers on the posts and add some, extra, small washers then slide the original washers back on the back plate. When fitted properly the posts coming through the mobo will not extend past the surface of the mobo and the retaining bolts will be holding the back plate tight against the mobo.
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2013 4:04:08 AM

Yeah, did that.

Although, on my old Z68 board the fitting was exactly the same.
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2013 8:09:37 AM

Som3one said:
Yeah, did that.

Although, on my old Z68 board the fitting was exactly the same.

So, is it better now?
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2013 11:02:25 AM

Better with what? I didn´t change anything since my last post.
!