Computer SLow After Idle

yoToco94

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Last night I left my computer on while I went out for a moment, maybe 30 minutes. It went to idle as I was downloading a game on Steam, after I came back, I moved the mouse and my rig didnt respond, montors wen black really slowly and one of them (I have 3) came with image but then black. It wouldnt respond, I had to hard restart and everything was ok. Now today I notice that Steam didnt download the game and like it deleted it :S So now Im in the process again. Only thing I did before was installing Slender - The Arrival.

What happen?

SPECS
SPECS
i7 2600K 3.4GHZ
Asus ROG Maximus Formula V Motherboard
EVGA GTX 670 SC 4GB x2 running in SLI
8 GB Ram 1300MHZ (Im in the process of upgrading this)
1 tb HDD
500GB HDD
Cooler Master 1000W
Thermaltake LV10 GT Snow Edition
H60 Corsair for processor.

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
So the PC is fine after restarting?
I've had downloads be interrupted when my PC goes to sleep when I'm away......you can change that in the Power settings in Control Panel.

Sounds like PC is fine now, no?

yoToco94

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

It is now but I want to know whats going on. :S I used HD Tune Pro to see the status of my main HDD as for me it sounds like the crash came from there. And well I found that the Reallocated Sector Count is on Warning status in which it as 4 Retired Sectors and the status says that the drive has damaged sectors. I think is the perfect timing to get a SSD now. What do u think?

Planning on getting an 500 GB Samnsung one. Sounds overkill but Im a spacious man.

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

Better solution would be 250GB Samsung 840 series w/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda for ~$250, which is significantly less than one Samsung 500GB SSD and more than 4x the amount of space.

As far as the explanation, sounds like your existing HDD having issues coming out of "sleep". Old drive?

yoToco94

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

I like that idea mate'. Well you see this HDD is like maybe 2 years old. The story is that when I first built the rig, I went, without any knowledge, with a White Label 1 TB HDD. It died on me at 2 weeks from having it, got this 500GB one and RMA the 1 TB. Then I got it back and it worked on me for a year and died again the 1 TB, decided to buy a new one that has been working fine. So yeah that 5ooGB is like 2 years old. Today I had trouble opening the HD Tune Pro. I had iTunes on, when open HD Tune, iTune froze and then it wouldnt open neither iTunes or HD Tune. Tried killing the process and no luck. Had to restart the PC to make it all work now. Guess I should go with your idea. To make matters worst, the HD Tune is saved in the 500GB HDD, I think also is iTunes. I dont remember and cant look now as Im not home for the next 2 weeks so.

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

Well, my suggestion is just a better use of money overall. The best usage model involves SSD's only for OS and applications and all media files on a large volume storage drive. I was just going off what you said about being "a spacious man", assuming that means you need plenty of hard drive space. You should evaluate how much of your current OS drive is occupied (and by what). If the bulk of your existing drive is pics/music/videos (not applications), my solution is definitely the better way to go.

SSD's make your system overall much more responsive and can remarkably improve application load times, but in pure gaming performance the benefits aren't as obvious so getting more space overall with a good blend of SSD and standard drive covers all needs.

yoToco94

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Yes I see your point. Then I will go with your idea. Thanks for helping me out, you were the only one to actually reply.

Thanks!

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

You're welcome!
I try to reply to unanswered posts first, because by the time you get involved in a post where 4 others have already replied, a fairly reasonable solution has already been found while others are waiting for any kind of help.