Help me from being my worst enemy...

HarryNutz

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
I have thee worst time when making a build, because I always want the top of the line and always been a firm believer in that "you get what you pay for". I have only built one system in the past which is what I am running on now and it still runs fine, but like back then when I came into money... I wanted a beast of a system.

So fast forward 4 years and again I came into some money and figured its time to play catch up with the Jones's. Current build is Maximus Formula with Rampage conversion, QX9650 (not OCed), 4GB Corsair Dominator 1066, 4x 500GB Barracudas and a GTX 570. Right off the bat I know I wasted over $500 getting the Extreme cpu and not OCing and I regret to this day getting the HDD's as I feel they were always my weakest link.

Anyway... as usual I jump over to NewEgg and start plucking away at all the juicy bits of hardware and as usual... I struggle with myself to go with anything less than top of the line. Im hoping maybe some of you experts out here can talk some sense into me, because again... I know I'm going overkill and sure I could shave off some $$$ and still have a beast of a system in the end, but minus the matching beast of a receipt that maybe some of that saved money could go towards something else. Like maybe a new pair of sneakers :) LOL

And here is my current list...

Case - NZXT Phantom 820 (Black)
Mobo - Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU - Intel Core i7-3930K
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14 SE2011
Memory - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
HDD's - 4x Western Digital VelociRaptor 250GB 10,000 RPM
Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB
Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster Z
Headset - Astro Gaming A40
Power Supply - Corsair Professional Gold 1200W
Monitor - BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0"

Again... talking me down is not going to be easy, but I am hoping someone can explain in enough detail in where I am wasting money and why I should swap out X part with X part. Keep in mind too, that I mostly game... CoD, BF, RTS Games, a little graphics with Photoshop, a pinch of video editing and a pinch of audio editing.

Let the games begin... SAVE ME SOME MONEY! :)

HarryNutz

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

I wouldn't say anything I do is intensive. I fiddle a tiny bit with mp3 files, photo editing and video editing. 98% of the time is consumed (and in this order) gaming... streaming movies and tv shows... listening to music.

HarryNutz

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
Ok so you suggest an i5 and immediately I feel like Im going cheap LOL... what would you say to a compromise and going with Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 ??

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
It's still overkill beyond overkill for just gaming. If you want more cores (which hyperthreading mimics), then you should just go for an AMD FX-8350.

sophiebeth100

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
Get a GTX 770 instead - cheaper and better performance. 32gb of ram is far too much - and then some! You only need 8gb, but go for 16gb if you feel you really need it. That system would easily run of 650w. Sound cards are unnecessary for gaming since onboard sound has become so good. All of this should save you at least $400.