Laptop Battery: 6 cell-48 Wh vs. 3-cell-48Wh

csga14

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
Hi Guys,
I'm planning to buy a laptop and I've done tons of research in terms of CPU, GPU, which better, how to avoid bottlenecks, etc... However, I could not find much about batteries, which is one of the most important aspects of buying a laptop.

So, here is my question:
Which is better? 6-cell 48 Wh or a 3-cell 48 Wh?

As well I know Wh refers to the capacity of the battery. In this case the two batteries are equaly good, are they?

(the 3-cell 48Wh battery is the new Samsung np370 r5v)

jokyteddy

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
They're not equally good. The 6-cell battery lasts twice as long compared to the 3-cell one but of course the 6-cell battery would be a bit bigger in size. So it depends if you want longer battery life or higher mobility.

mbman88

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
when both batteries are rated 48Wh then there is no real difference other than that the 6 cell battery has 3 extra cells (a 3 cell battery has 3 individual cells, anode + cathode, connected end-to-end, effectively adding together the voltages of each cell, which is usually 3.7 for Lith-Ion chemistry... this makes 11.1 for my laptop; For six (6) cell batteries you connect 2 cells together, anode to anode, cathode to cathode, do this 3 times, and finally connect these 3 double-cells end-to-end to create 11.1 volts that will last twice as long as the 3 cell battery USING IDENTICAL CELLS [battery is twice as large, and Watt-hour or amp-hour rating is doubled]).
It's important to understand that if each battery (3 cell vs 6 cell) you are comparing is rated for the same Watt-hour, or Amp-hour rating then it means a six (6) cell battery has cells that are half the size as the three (3) cell battery.

The six cell battery might increase in reliability vs the three cell battery so it's worth considering.

Otherwise that is the only difference unless the battery rating specifies a greater amount of capacity (e.g., 4800mA-h vs 5200mA-h OR 36Wh vs 48Wh [units are milli-amp-hours, mA-h; and Watt-hours, Wh])
Theoretically, more cells in parallel should produce a battery capable of delivering a larger amount of power d̶e̶l̶i̶v̶e̶r̶e̶d in a short period of time without damage... but that is rarely associated with computer technology.