Im having lagging problems and I need help to figure out how to fix it

MComputer

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
So in my house, the wifi is given out through a router and in another room also on the second floor there is a receiver and it gives internet to three desktops. But recently my sister got a laptop and when she surfs the internet is causes me some pretty bad lag when im gaming. BTW in that part of the house there is a really bad wifi signal. I don't how to fix this. I wasn't sure if we had to upgrade our internet or get a better router. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks :)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The more users on the internet, the less bandwidth there is for each user on a node. A common problem. Cable internet has greater bandwidth than DSL, but even cable can get bogged down with too many users. Especially if they are all trying to access it wirelessly. Can you run an Ethernet cable to your PC and do away with your wireless connections? That may help. Getting a faster internet service would be the best remedy. What are you using to connect to the internet now, built-in wireless or Ethernet?

MComputer

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Im not sure to be honest. But the the receiver (access point) gets it signal from the router in another room. The receiver (access point) sends the signal down to another router (by a ethernet cable) that has ports for several ethernet cables and that where all the 3 desktops are plugged in. Do you have an idea of how much it would cost to upgrade? And would the be anything else I could to do to solve the problem? Because my mother wouldn't like a wire running through the middle of a room. Thanks!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Can't help you on the cost. But I would talk to your folks about having your service provider come out and check out the situation. Maybe he can provide a cost effective solution. But it sounds like your household needs an upgrade in service too. Maybe the next tier available to a higher bandwidth solution.

MComputer

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Alright, will do. Thanks for all the help! :)

Throttle the connection using NetLimiter v3 (free trial) so that no single PC can flood the connection.
If there is no buffering occurring on the routers then your ping will remain quite acceptable and it will complement the QoS that Windows and most routers already perform.

It usually only takes one person streaming HD video on a non-throttled connection to 'wreck havoc' on a home network. Limiting that PC (or laptop) to 70% of what the connection is capable of is likely to resolve the issue without increasing ongoing costs.

Tweaking it so that there is no buffering congestion on the router in the upstream will only help even more.

MComputer

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Alright can you give the link of the of Net limiter. Ill do it in the mean time. I'm planning on just get a hard wired connection running through the attic. Thank anyway