Upgrade Hardware To Run Team Fortress 2?

RJRDAN

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
I have a 2006 Windows Vista Home Premium Processor:Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 1.86GHz 1.87 GHz RAM:1014 MB System Type:32-bit Motherboard:ASUS LEONITE 5.00 Graphics Card:Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME is Integrated with the system. Memory Size:256MB . I am wondering what hardware to upgrade just to play Team Fortress 2 and a couple of other games. When I try to play TF2 it tends to lag. If I upgrade one thing like a graphics card would I have to upgrade other things so it won't be a bottleneck effect?

Your CPU pretty slow, but can probably be upgraded for cheap. Video card upgrade for sure, as well as RAM, at the least.

You need to list your case and power supply as well for any suggestions, as well as your budget. You are probably looking at about 100 for a decent video card and 4 gig of RAM, maybe another 30 for a faster CPU which you would really want to have as well. You may need a power supply upgrade as well.

RJRDAN

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

Would it be cheaper just to upgrade or just buy a whole new system?

Upgrading would probably be alittle cheaper, but it would probably better to build new.

Your CPU has a really low clock and would need upgraded
Your RAM is really low
You will need to install and upgraded GPU
You may need a PSU upgrade

If you buy a "new" system, upgrade will be chaper by quite a bit. If you bought a used system with the specs you'd want to play mainstream games at low to medium quality, would be about the same as an upgrade. Would cost about $150 for a fast dual core PC with a good enough power supply to run a gaming card, and about $70-100 for a low end gaming video card. A NEW gaming system will be about $5-600, but will ofcourse be faster in everything.

For used, I like the Dell XPS and Lenovo ThinkCenter towers, they come with about a 300, some are more, watt power supply and a decent case. Also HP WX series, I am running one of those as my main computer, quad core, power supply is handling 3 hard drives and a nVidia GTX 260 with no issues.

RJRDAN

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

I just want to play Team Fortress 2 and Minecraft maybe League Of Legends with low to medium settings with ease. I added all the parts I need for upgrade with the total $260.67 at the most. I heard you can build a gaming PC for $250.

A quick search shows this information on the motherboard:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00864946

Another quick search shows Frys has a E6500 for $80 which should be a direct plug and go upgrade for the CPU but you'll probably be better off searching on E-bay or Craiglist.
It is more than likely the motherboard will be locked-most OEMs do this to stop unknowledgeable users from damaging the system-but there's no harm in having a quick look into the BIOS next time you boot up.
The choice of card will depend on the installed power supply: Its Wattage and number of spare PCI-E connectors but anything around the level of a 8800GT/HD6670 will meet your requirements as long as the PSU can run it.
See here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32693.html

If you buy used older parts you can build a "gaming" PC for $250. Like I posted, a used tower and a low end gaming video card is a bit over $200. A 3 gig Core 2 Duo with 4 gig of RAM with about a 160-250 gig hard drive shoul be gotten for $150-200 and a low end gaming card is about 60-100.

To just upgrade your system, you still have not listed your case size or power supply wattage. You could try with just a ram upgrade and a low end video card, either a used 9800 GT or GTX which is about $40-50 or a new Radeon 6670 can be had for about $20 over that.