Replacing a Dead Motherboard without reinstalling Windows OS?

diamondketo

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I have look up almost everywhere and most tutorials don't really help with dead mobo.

Most tell me to back up my Hard Drive and uninstall all registration/activation software like Adobe Photoshop. The problem is how do I do this if I can't even boot up my computer. Do I put my hard drive into another computer and uninstall from there. If I do that how do I make the working computer delete those software (can't uninstall if there it's not listed on programs).

I am following step for these so I can lower the chances of needing to reinstall windows. My motherboard+cpu combo is for now: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8297868&CatId=14

I heard some people are able to do it without uninstalling windows so I want to use a chance b/c it saves money and time since installing OS is pretty annoying.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you want to use the old Win7 installation on an existing HDD with a new MB, it can be done. But it is illegal if your copy is an OEM.

The old HDD/Win7 installation will probably boot OK if there isn't a lot of differences between the old and new MB. Win7 will try to load the necessary drivers from its database for the new MB. When booted to Win7, install the new MB drivers from the disk or the website. Run CCleaner a few times until it comes back clean. It will attempt to clean the registry of old data pertaining to the old MB. Sooner or later you may be asked to re-activate Win7 again. Do so and if the activation catches that the MB is different, just follow the instructions to get a new license. Usually, it is just a matter of entering data as requested by an automated system and receiving a new key.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
What OS? If Win7, good idea to make a backup if you can, butbasically, put all your new hardware together, make sure it all but's and runs, shut down, plug in the hard drive and boot. Win7 will examine the hardware and load drivers as it can from it's collection and you'll be up and running, next would be to update the mobo specific drivers with the latest from their web site (good chance whatever is on the CD/DVD that came with the mobo are already outdated, and then run a registry cleaner that you trust. You'll then have 30 days or so to reactivate Win with Microsoft, simply go on-line and if activation ask call the phone number they supply, you'll enter the code they provided from the activation try, the computer you 'talk to will ask how many computers the OS is on, you tell it 1, and then they give you a new activation code...Think since I joined these forums, have had at least a half dozen folks do this with no problems

diamondketo

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

Sorry I have Win8 sadly. If I call them what kind of proof do I have to provide. I had no chance to write down my serial and product key and no where in my computer case has the serial or product key.

Surprisingly it doesn't even have the Windows sticker too. It is also an OEM Windows. Damn microsoft.

I have heard that if you contact Microsoft and tell them your MB or whatever failed, they will more times than not let you activate Windows on another system. You'll need some kind of proof of purchase or something if you don't have an activation number. It's worth a shot...

diamondketo

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

KK I'll try. I forgot to say.

Current Computer:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03499587&prodSeriesId=5295962

I am changing from FM2 to a AM3+ which I think this will be the reason why it might fail (or not). Also the integrated graphic and sound card will be different as well.

BTW if I bought this computer from a store. Do I still get the normal 3 year warranty for the motherboard (MSI motherboard) or is it all on HP's warranty.

Not sure what kind of proof of purchase. I think there are some numbers in the motherboard hopefully i can use it's serial

diamondketo

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

It's actually AMD to AMD just different cpu socket

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Yes I saw that, was just offering, it's even been done from AMD to Intel, which I would think would be harder than straight AMD to AMD or the Intel to Intel.....first time I did it, it was of "will this fly or won't' it, but basically have never had a problem in the same CPU maker mix doing this

diamondketo

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I forgot to ask this too:

My dead motherboard still has a working CPU (it gets hot when the pc turns on). As long as I buy a FM2 (that's the original cpu socket) motherboard it would work correct? Sorry it sounds like an obvious question.