Sign in with
Your question

Is i7 4770k Overclock Stable?

Last response: in CPUs
June 23, 2013 7:45:52 PM

Hello! This will be my first post on Tom's Hardware. So, I orginally overclocked my i7 4770k to 4.5ghz with the vcore at like 1.327 or something like that. I ran Prime 95 for 45 minutes and got a max of 94 degrees Celsius(do you think anything got damaged?). So now, I turned down the vcore to I think 1.275, and I get a max of 84 degrees Celsius when I ran Prime 95 for a half hour. Do you think it is stable, and do you think the previous stress test did any damage to my computer?

More about : 4770k overclock stable

a b K Overclocking
a c 186 à CPUs
June 24, 2013 12:04:36 AM

i doubt your cpu was running full bore at 94C... haswell automatically downclock when they get that warm to prevent damage. Since your system ran fine at a lower vcore, i'd say you damaged nothing.
June 24, 2013 4:03:02 AM

Ryan Weil said:
Hello! This will be my first post on Tom's Hardware. So, I orginally overclocked my i7 4770k to 4.5ghz with the vcore at like 1.327 or something like that. I ran Prime 95 for 45 minutes and got a max of 94 degrees Celsius(do you think anything got damaged?). So now, I turned down the vcore to I think 1.275, and I get a max of 84 degrees Celsius when I ran Prime 95 for a half hour. Do you think it is stable, and do you think the previous stress test did any damage to my computer?

ingtar33 said:
i doubt your cpu was running full bore at 94C... haswell automatically downclock when they get that warm to prevent damage. Since your system ran fine at a lower vcore, i'd say you damaged nothing.

Ok Thanks. But is 84 an ok temperature?
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
a c 186 à CPUs
June 24, 2013 12:45:02 PM

Ryan Weil said:
Ryan Weil said:

ingtar33 said:

Ok Thanks. But is 84 an ok temperature?

84 is on the hot side but not too hot to damage anything. Generally speaking you should get worried if you get over 90.
June 24, 2013 2:24:00 PM

Well like I said it did go over 90(94 exactly), so should I be worried that it previously did? Because I am kind of pissed cuz I got this computer yesterday...:p 
a b K Overclocking
a c 186 à CPUs
June 24, 2013 2:29:24 PM

Ryan Weil said:
Well like I said it did go over 90(94 exactly), so should I be worried that it previously did? Because I am kind of pissed cuz I got this computer yesterday...:p 

nope. as i said... if you broke anything you'd know it by now. plenty of people run their cpus up over their thermal limits with no lasting damage. Lord knows i've popped my PhII up over it's thermal limits a number of times (it generally crashes at about 58C... like most AMD it's got a low thermal limit)... still haven't hurt it. you didn't even get yours warm enough to crash your system... so i wouldn't sweat it.
June 24, 2013 2:38:17 PM

ingtar33 said:
Ryan Weil said:

nope. as i said... if you broke anything you'd know it by now. plenty of people run their cpus up over their thermal limits with no lasting damage. Lord knows i've popped my PhII up over it's thermal limits a number of times (it generally crashes at about 58C... like most AMD it's got a low thermal limit)... still haven't hurt it. you didn't even get yours warm enough to crash your system... so i wouldn't sweat it.

Ok, but just wondering that if plenty of people run there CPUs over their limits, then why should I be worried when it goes above 90? Apparently, my thermal limit is 100c.
a b K Overclocking
a c 186 à CPUs
June 24, 2013 2:43:20 PM

Ryan Weil said:
ingtar33 said:
Ryan Weil said:

Ok, but just wondering that if plenty of people run there CPUs over their limits, then why should I be worried when it goes above 90? Apparently, my thermal limit is 100c.

you should worry if its up over 90 for an extended period of time... consistently high temps will degrade your cpu faster. the higher the temps the shorter the time it takes for the cpu to degrade. Accidentally popping your cpu up over it's thermal limit and crashing your system is scary... because you don't know if your system will restart (believe me, just because i've done it doesn't mean i'm happy with it) the next time. But generally cpus are sturdy enough to handle that level of punishment on a limited basis.
June 24, 2013 7:42:38 PM

ingtar33 said:
Ryan Weil said:
ingtar33 said:
Ryan Weil said:

you should worry if its up over 90 for an extended period of time... consistently high temps will degrade your cpu faster. the higher the temps the shorter the time it takes for the cpu to degrade. Accidentally popping your cpu up over it's thermal limit and crashing your system is scary... because you don't know if your system will restart (believe me, just because i've done it doesn't mean i'm happy with it) the next time. But generally cpus are sturdy enough to handle that level of punishment on a limited basis.

So in other words, absolutely no damage was done to my CPU?
a b K Overclocking
a c 186 à CPUs
June 25, 2013 3:49:01 AM

Ryan Weil said:
So in other words, absolutely no damage was done to my CPU?

correct. if you damaged your cpu you'd know it by now. because your system wouldn't have started.
!